Author Topic: MSM-03 Gogg 1/100th scale Master Grade  (Read 7125 times)

July 14, 2011, 06:49:49 PM
Reply #20

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
You don't want to cut corners this late in the game.  Primer color can and likely will change the final appearance, so its safest and worth while to just stick with the grey you've been using.  Don't risk all your great work!

Building Gundam Kits since 1995

July 15, 2011, 07:24:25 PM
Reply #21

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Resident member of the Pixie Symphony.
  • Information
  • "I will kill you so dead right now."
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I just got my paycheck, so I have more money to spend on Gunpla!  Yay!   (It's a summer job; it's okay if I throw away all the money.   :razz:  )
I'll go get some of the same primer soon and finish those parts.
In the meantime, I got some more alligator clips (okay, so they're actually hair clips, but they were cheap and it was a "25 in a package" deal, so I couldn't pass it up) and I stole some skewers from my kitchen.  I'll tear apart some of my old old old wargames terrain and use the Styrofoam there to make a series of bases for all the parts (a single piece would not fit in my spray booth; instead, I'll make a series of arts holders that I can easily switch in and out as I finish spraying a parts group).

Is it bad that I'm already getting vague ideas for another, completely separate project?
I do other things, too.

July 16, 2011, 12:27:07 AM
Reply #22

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I don't think that's bad, I get new ideas all the time. At least I write them down so I don't forget!

July 19, 2011, 09:12:01 PM
Reply #23

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Information
    • View Profile
I did just that, Sharkie.  If I can get the ideas finalized, I just may have to start on that project after this one is done.   :D

Anyway, back to the Gogg.  I tried some enamel airbrush paint, something I've never done before.  I think it goes a bit farther than acrylic does (for me, at least), but I'm kind of stupid and spilled and made a mess.  Luckily, I have newspaper down and stuff.
After what seemed like tiny disaster after tiny disaster, I finally got the armor done with the undercoat.

Yes, I did do all of the armor bits.  You can't see some of them because I had two sets on separate Styrofoam bases (they wouldn't all fit on one).

And you can see my cheapo POS single-action vacuum-fed airbrush down there on the far left side!  I've been toying with the idea of getting a nice one, but I'm too cheap.

I'll be applying the clear coat soon.  How long does enamel need to cure?  Does it need to cure?  Should I go look all this up myself?  :P
Oh, and I'll be applying a dull coat of clear.  That is fine, right?  I think a high-gloss rust would look really, really odd.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:17:48 PM by The Magic Tuba Pixie »
I do other things, too.

July 19, 2011, 09:22:43 PM
Reply #24

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Lookin' good I'd say!

I'm by no means an expert, since you've already done more painting than I have ;)

In regards to the clearcoat, are you still going to apply decals and such? I hear decals don't stick that well on a dull coat, so it's better to keep/make it glossy first, apply decals, and then do a dullcoat.

July 20, 2011, 08:24:12 AM
Reply #25

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
I don't think that's bad, I get new ideas all the time. At least I write them down so I don't forget!

I keep an entire notebook of project ideas that I've come up with.  Technically speaking, I'm about 18 projects behind :)
Building Gundam Kits since 1995

July 20, 2011, 05:52:19 PM
Reply #26

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Information
    • View Profile
In regards to the clearcoat, are you still going to apply decals and such? I hear decals don't stick that well on a dull coat, so it's better to keep/make it glossy first, apply decals, and then do a dullcoat.

I'll apply decals, definitely.  But why would I apply decals to the rusted undercoat?  :P
It's going to be painted over, no worries.  I'll get a high-gloss coat down once I'm done with the top coat.  That way I can apply washes and decals easier.
(By the way: how do I properly weather decals?  Is there  a tutorial somewhere?  Or should I just cross that bridge when I get to it?)

I applied the salt today (hopefully not too much salt.  I may knock some off; I dunno.  If I don't like the final result, I'll just add some more of the top color on top of the rust).  I've also chosen a color scheme (and not a moment too soon!  :P  ).  I'm going with this particular interpretation of a German U 47 for inspiration.  I toyed with the idea of using a red variant as inspiration, but that's too much red on a giant robot for it to look ... "realistic."  (HA.  A giant robot?  And I'm worried about realism?)
Anyway, I'll be using a dark blue/grey and a light grey.  The light grey will be the top part only (down to the bottom of the upper chest armor and the pilot's hatch), as well as the arms.  Dark blue/grey will be the rest of the model (cummerbund downward).

I really wanted to try stripes with this model, but I'm not sure how I can fit that in.  I think I'll just wait for the next project, when the opportunity presents itself.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:59:09 PM by The Magic Tuba Pixie »
I do other things, too.

July 21, 2011, 05:38:37 PM
Reply #27

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Information
    • View Profile
Okay, I have a question that I will pose to the skilled painters of this forum:

The undercoat is a dark color.  I will be applying a light acrylic color on top of that.  Should I prime?  I think I will (prime in white), just so that the colors show up.  If it comes out far too bright, I'll just go batsh!t crazy with washes (something else I'd like to try) to make it darker.  Is this a plausible course of action?
I do other things, too.

July 27, 2011, 10:23:58 AM
Reply #28

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Information
    • View Profile
I've knocked off the salt on the light grey parts of the Gogg.  I was initially afraid that I put too much salt on, but I think this is enough:

I probably should not have primed over the rust color; the grey primer sometimes shows through.  That's not too bad on these parts, but on the others, I primed black (that wasn't smart).  I'll just have to be careful when I knock off the salt on the other parts.
I also did not get to do post-shading, a technique I wanted to try.  I think I'm gonna have to wait until I get an airbrush with more precision, or until I learn how to use the cheapo one I've got now.

BUT
I will be trying washes on this thing.  I'll apply a high-gloss coat and go to town (when I get to that point, of course).
I do other things, too.

August 02, 2011, 01:02:10 PM
Reply #29

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Information
    • View Profile
I've finished with the airbrushing part of this kit.  I applied the last color to the rest of the parts and knocked off the salt after it cured.

That what the blue/grey parts look like with the salt off.  I've assembled the Gogg itself (minus the gummy filler parts that cover the ankle, knee, and shoulder joints) and I've applied the high-gloss coat so that I can get some washes on that thing.  I'll have to go get some oil paints, first, though...

I won't take a picture of the Gogg as it is test-fitted because I'm not sure how much of a noticeable difference the washes will make, and I don't want two pictures that look exactly the same.

And I still haven't painted the monoeye...
I do other things, too.

August 02, 2011, 06:31:43 PM
Reply #30

Asmodeous

• Information
    • View Profile
Looking good.  Can't wait to see it finished.

August 04, 2011, 11:20:02 AM
Reply #31

The Magic Tuba Pixie

• Information
    • View Profile

It's done!  Go check out the Finished Model thread over here!

Thanks for all your help, guys!  I really appreciated it!
I do other things, too.