Author Topic: Destroid Tomahawk 1:72  (Read 6531 times)

April 23, 2011, 11:17:58 AM
Read 6531 times

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
Until the paints I've ordered reach me and I can finally repaint my fourth try of the Valkyrie I started, I'm working on Wave's destroid Tomahwak which I got from hlj.

Currently I almost finished building it, only a bit more filling and sanding to do, and then find some time to paint it and start the base.

The building was fun and simple, good engineering, but necessary to fill and sand most of the major parts as they are built in halves. Lots of clear parts which can be left off until painting is done.

The decal sheet has some numbering options, and all in all a very nice and sturdy looking and feeling model.

Next update will be after the paint is on :).
Eyal.

April 29, 2011, 12:41:18 AM
Reply #1

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
I finally found some time to paint the model. I planned to paint it in all colors, but after painting the white I got tired and stopped.
I started with a couple of layers of German grey and then built the shite in layers.
I used the dark grey as preshading layer, but will have to accentuate the shadows with post shading later on.
Next time I hope to complete the painting.
Eyal.

April 30, 2011, 01:02:55 AM
Reply #2

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Managed to paint today also  :lol:

Painted some panel in light gray. If I oonly invested some thinking before the painting and building, I would have managed to mask and paint some more panels in gray. I didn't manage to mask what I wanted to paint so well, so I'll have to paint some gray details with a brush.

The blue was mixed from Tamiya flat white and flat blue XF-8, and last I sprayed Tamiya's clear as a base for decals and as it makes the matt colors more lively.
Eyal.

April 30, 2011, 01:39:05 AM
Reply #3

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
This model looks much better with color on it ;)
Good luck with details paiting

Mark

April 30, 2011, 11:46:41 AM
Reply #4

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Throw it Hard

May 17, 2011, 07:04:51 AM
Reply #5

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
All details were painted, mostly various clear colors, and the decals were aplpied. I took them from various sources, some itasha style car decals, some red stencils from a decal sheet I got from Fulci store, and some Macross decals.

I then washed it in a controlled pin wash with burnt umber oil color, and now I wait for it to dry, and will continue to weather the model and think about the base.

Hope you like, and will be happy to hear your opinions,
Eyal.

May 17, 2011, 08:02:33 AM
Reply #6

Bhm

• Unf unf unf unf unf!
  • Information
  • DEATH FROM ABOVE!
    • View Profile
That is fantastic... I really said "Whoa" out loud when the pictures loaded. I love the low dial on the weathering.

It's the color scheme that really sells the model. Fantastic work, dude! :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:03:42 AM by Bhm »

May 17, 2011, 09:02:12 AM
Reply #7

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
Great Job done here :)
Very liked the colors and wash!

Thanks
Mark

May 18, 2011, 06:48:14 PM
Reply #8

Atlas100

• Information
    • View Profile
I like the colour scheme. Nice work.

The decals look ok. What solution did you use to apply the decals?

I noticed that the periscope is not there, or was it?

May 19, 2011, 03:25:15 AM
Reply #9

Dinoc

• Information
    • View Profile
    • LAND SEA AIR & SPACE
LAND SEA AIR & SPACE
http://lsa-space.blogspot.com/

May 20, 2011, 06:16:39 AM
Reply #10

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
Thank you very much everybody   :-)
I need to do more weathering on it, I'll try to keep it very simple, also will post pictures of the base I started to work on soon, and I need to think of figures to add.

For the decals I started with spraying a coat of Tamiya's clear after the last painting was done.
When dry, I used Micro Set, placed the decal, and then added Micro Sol, I really like this type of solvents, very effective with regular decals.
Eyal.

May 20, 2011, 09:34:00 PM
Reply #11

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
This is really cool. I like the paint scheme and end result. I really like the brown pin/panel wash too.
Great job!  8)
Throw it Hard

June 14, 2011, 09:08:44 AM
Reply #12

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'm slowly advancing on this, and finished the base. I kept it simple and am waiting to get a chance and paint it.

Next I'll find some figures to add to it, and weather the base and the model a bit more.

Thanks for watching,
Eyal.

June 25, 2011, 09:11:39 AM
Reply #13

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
The base turned out quite ugly after painting, so I scrapped it and started again. This time I used clean flat cardboard and built new panels.
Then I Sprayed it in light gray, and used oil paints to get some tones. I think I'll add some more white to the panel edges.
It looks boring to me, so I'll add a figure, and maybe some equipment below. Also I maybe will add some decals or markings on the base itself.

June 28, 2011, 01:51:51 AM
Reply #14

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Really like your tomahawk, great colour scheme and the brown pin wash is sweet.

With your base, its looking good but as the model is a light colour it might be better to go much darker with the base for a bit of contrast.

Just a thought
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 29, 2011, 08:14:30 PM
Reply #15

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
Yep it's a good advice, but I don't like to redo the base again, and it looks ok with the model, somehow all the light tones work I think.
Here is the figure I've finished for it:

It is taken from Eduard Czech modern air crew set.
Thank for the feedback and comments,
Eyal :).

June 29, 2011, 10:26:32 PM
Reply #16

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
The figure looks great, it will add a lot to the base.

July 07, 2011, 04:52:39 AM
Reply #17

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Looking great so far.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

July 15, 2011, 03:12:50 AM
Reply #18

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Thank you  :embarrased:

It is nearing completion, I glued everything to the base.
Now I would appreciate for some advice on if something is missing, and what I should add to the dio. I can't put a finger on what but I think I should add some more stuff to it.. Maybe a sign, maybe something else..? any idea would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eyal.

July 15, 2011, 03:24:49 AM
Reply #19

Bhm

• Unf unf unf unf unf!
  • Information
  • DEATH FROM ABOVE!
    • View Profile
Thank you  :embarrased:

It is nearing completion, I glued everything to the base.
Now I would appreciate for some advice on if something is missing, and what I should add to the dio. I can't put a finger on what but I think I should add some more stuff to it.. Maybe a sign, maybe something else..? any idea would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eyal.

I think the individual pieces are amazing, you've got everything you need to make an awesome set. But I feel it looks like a photo shoot moment. It's too stiff. Why is the guy even in the scene? Who hangs out with a helmet in front of his mech?
I'd liven things up. Atleast tilt the dudes head up and make him look up at the mech as if pondering it's gratness or something.
You could stuff that with detail but it'd still look stiff, no offense. There's no... Raison d'Ítre.
Now, you could add another figure and offset them a bit to the side as if they're in a conversation. I just think you need to make it more natural.

As I've said earlier, everything really looks amazing, you just need that extra zing to make the scene pop. I don't mean to sound harsh. I just want this to be so much better since there's great potential in this. It's all about positioning details, everything else is there!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:29:19 AM by Bhm »