Author Topic: G-System 1/35 EX-S - commission  (Read 13524 times)

February 02, 2011, 08:01:31 PM
Reply #20

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
It seemed to me when I saw it, that it would have properties like balsa-resin , if that existed  :-)
Throw it Hard

February 03, 2011, 02:18:43 AM
Reply #21

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Yea the gray parts are the ones made from the light resin. It sand super easy and almost has a foam like feeling to it. Still holds the details pretty well though.

More than likely, in order to create their 'light resin', all G-System did was add what are called Micro Balloons to the resin mixture.  Basically they are very small (on the order of grains of sand size) foam balls, which help take up a certain amount of the volume that the resin is taking up.  It's more than likely why you get that foam feel to it.  I've used them in the past, and it's pretty neat.

February 03, 2011, 05:04:01 AM
Reply #22

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Yea the gray parts are the ones made from the light resin. It sand super easy and almost has a foam like feeling to it. Still holds the details pretty well though.

More than likely, in order to create their 'light resin', all G-System did was add what are called Micro Balloons to the resin mixture.  Basically they are very small (on the order of grains of sand size) foam balls, which help take up a certain amount of the volume that the resin is taking up.  It's more than likely why you get that foam feel to it.  I've used them in the past, and it's pretty neat.

Yeah.  micro balloons are cool.  I use to make a light weight filler using micro balloons and plain old white glue when I went build RC plains.  Just don't breath them in. :sick:
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

February 03, 2011, 06:12:37 AM
Reply #23

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
I find my adulthood grants me the ability to take too many liberties. For example,I WOULD get this,and then put it right in the "I don't care if I don't have the room,I'll put it wherever I want" spot.
Wherever that may be in the house :D

I tried that approach and it didn't go over too well with the wife. Although after she saw this one started she thinks it's much cooler now then when I first told her about how big it was.

That's funny Matt, I showed my wife your pictures of it so far.  She just looked at me and said "No." Then walked away.

*sigh*...hurray, Marriage!
Building Gundam Kits since 1995

February 13, 2011, 10:29:35 PM
Reply #24

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Assembly of this monster continues, slowly working on assembling all of the backpack and rear assemblies. I ran into a small snag today, I need to re-work the torso pinning and support do to the massive amount of weight of the backpack assembly. With the just backpack frame and the center pod on the torso was already being pulled back and I could tell it was not going to hold with the two huge booster packs that still need to be assembled and mounted to the sides. So after these photos were taken, I pulled the whole assembly apart and started working on re-enforcing the internal support for the torso and top of the waist. After I get this dialed in, backpack assembly with continue. After that I will move on to the arms and outer shoulder parts, and finally the two huge fuel pods that come off the sides of the shoulders.

February 14, 2011, 09:40:49 AM
Reply #25

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
Thats so amazingly massive, I wouldn't know what to do with myself or that kit haha. I wonder if G-System would ever create a 1/35 Deepstriker. Good luck on the kit.
Hey, how's it going?

April 10, 2011, 11:56:22 PM
Reply #26

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
So I figured it was time to share a few updates on the EX-S build since most of my posts have been about the Gp03 (which is coming along fantastic!). The first big work I did was to change up the base support pole a bit. I just recently was in Hong Kong and saw the new EX-S 2.0 at the G-System store and took a look at how their support pole was setup. They have a branch off the pole that makes an L shape to hold the weight of the backpack. Theirs has a slot for the pole to directly fit into the backpack, but this version does not. So using the pipes I was able to get, I made the same type of support and positioned it right behind the backpack.

With the changes to the torso that I made, and addition support and epoxying I had done it held all of the weight of the center back pack part and the extension out of the center. (Which previously it would not hold it.) Once I had finished up getting the support in place, I started assembling the gigantic booster packs on the backpack. I finished up the base work on the left booster and gave it a test to see how it would hold the weight. Other then leaning a bit to that side (expected) it held all of the weight with no sign of strain.

Next up will be finishing the details on the left booster pack and getting the right pack done. Then its on to the rest of the shoulders and arms, then the giant fuel pods that come off the side of the shoulders.

April 11, 2011, 12:28:57 AM
Reply #27

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • majorwilliams.blogspot.com
Wow looks awesome and intense! What a fun and tough project. I bet it was nice to see how they had supported the original back in hk. Can't wait to see you start painting this sucker!

Are you going to pre fit everything on the stand before you begin painting? Or just start from here?
Check out my blog for my latest projects and tutorials - http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

April 11, 2011, 12:31:38 AM
Reply #28

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
Wow looks awesome and intense! What a fun and tough project. I bet it was nice to see how they had supported the original back in hk. Can't wait to see you start painting this sucker!

Are you going to pre fit everything on the stand before you begin painting? Or just start from here?

I am going to pre-fit everything first like I do with any other kit. I need to figure out what goes where, how it's assembled, and most importantly what I need to separate for painting and what I don't.

Once that's all done, I will take it apart and start painting from the feet up, finishing the legs first etc.

April 11, 2011, 01:57:49 AM
Reply #29

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Looking colossal!  :twitch:
Nice job on the assembly. That's an art form in itself.
Good to know you can get a little "Lebowski" in while you work   :D
Throw it Hard

April 11, 2011, 03:26:13 AM
Reply #30

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
How is it working with the light resin?
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

April 11, 2011, 04:09:23 AM
Reply #31

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com

April 11, 2011, 06:20:58 AM
Reply #32

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
Holy Crap Matt....just....holy...crap. :twitch:

There's something about needing to use industrial plumbing pipes as "Support rods" that makes me love this thing even more. 
Building Gundam Kits since 1995

April 11, 2011, 07:05:31 AM
Reply #33

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
@MVM: It's not too bad. I haven't done a ton of surface prep yet, but from what I have done it sands pretty easy and cleans up well. You just have to be a little more careful with it since it is pretty soft and you can put marks into it pretty easily.

@Grail: A little Lebowski does everyone well. :)

April 11, 2011, 11:25:43 AM
Reply #34

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
Insane that's the word. I can't imagine building such a thing.  I am appreciative.

April 12, 2011, 07:05:52 AM
Reply #35

eslite119

• Information
    • View Profile
It's...so...BIG

So metal pipe it is.  But I was wondering, I believe the base itself will still be acrylic.  If so, do you think the base will withstand the pressure coming from the weight of the kit?  Meaning, will the base hold and not crack?  Anyways, if you think we need to think of an alternative, let me know.  I'm thinking if the base from G-System for 2.0 EX-S maybe a suitable alternative.

I'm thinking that your initial suggestion on the paint scheme, red EX-S, is a good way to go.  I guess we'll talk more about the colors once you complete the pre-fitting stage.

Looking great so far, Matt.  Thanks!

April 12, 2011, 09:16:14 AM
Reply #36

DrDazzle

• back to formula?
  • Information
    • View Profile
Lord have mercy. Too much. I think being able to assemble that kit is an amazing enough feat.

April 12, 2011, 09:32:34 AM
Reply #37

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile

April 12, 2011, 11:33:31 AM
Reply #38

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
It's...so...BIG

So metal pipe it is.  But I was wondering, I believe the base itself will still be acrylic.  If so, do you think the base will withstand the pressure coming from the weight of the kit?  Meaning, will the base hold and not crack?  Anyways, if you think we need to think of an alternative, let me know.  I'm thinking if the base from G-System for 2.0 EX-S maybe a suitable alternative.

I'm thinking that your initial suggestion on the paint scheme, red EX-S, is a good way to go.  I guess we'll talk more about the colors once you complete the pre-fitting stage.

Looking great so far, Matt.  Thanks!

I think the base being acrylic should be fine. If the sheets I use are thick enough there is very little concern about it cracking or holding the stress of the pole. I am also planning on securing the base of the pole with some nuts/bolts/washers instead of screws like I have in the wood temporary base.

For the color scheme, I agree. I would love to see this bad boy in the white/red scheme. They have always been done in the white/blue version. :)

April 12, 2011, 02:27:00 PM
Reply #39

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Wow!!! That's huge...  :twitch: I never realized the thing would be that big...

Great job so far..  ^_^
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.