Author Topic: 3D software recommendation?  (Read 3667 times)

December 29, 2010, 09:31:17 PM
Read 3667 times

hobbyguy

• Information
    • View Profile
Any 3D software recommendations for creating 3D models (like ZBrush)?

The reason I ask is because I want to scratch build kits. I was set on 1/144 but I have now chosen to work in 1/100 scale.

I want to create some 3D models then scale to size, print them and use them as guides/templates when building.

I'm hoping to start soon, and work on designs that have never been in 1/100 scale, as well as designs that have never been turned into a kit.

I also want to use some of the 3D designs and have them 3D printed. Then post some pics of the 3D printed parts (as well as those parts sanded).

Help is appreciated.

Thanks!

December 30, 2010, 03:26:27 AM
Reply #1

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
I love SolidWorks, but that is expensive (I am assuming you want something that's more in the price range of free...).  I've used Rhino 3d, with ok results, and there's always Google Sketchup...

December 30, 2010, 05:11:34 PM
Reply #2

hobbyguy

• Information
    • View Profile
Google Sketchup has been recommended to me by a lot of people. Do you have any experience using it? Is it just like any other 3D software or does it have limits (like rough shapes and edges)?

December 30, 2010, 06:36:55 PM
Reply #3

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Unfortunately I have not used it extensively, so I can't really comment on that...

January 03, 2011, 12:03:49 AM
Reply #4

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Google Sketchup has been recommended to me by a lot of people. Do you have any experience using it? Is it just like any other 3D software or does it have limits (like rough shapes and edges)?
Sketch up is almost perfect for 3d printing applications. I would say It actually has less limits than a lot of 3D packages,but it is a very specific program.The only hang up is the free version has limited ability to export the necessary file types. (example-  .obj file extensions are only exported with the paid for version) I would say use the free sketch up version until you learn 3d modeling,then decide what you need.

I don't know why you would use it over Zbrush though? ( Just being that you asked about Zbrush..?) Zbrush,Maya,Max,Mudbox,pretty much being the Cadillac's for these purposes.They are advanced and expensive though. I don't recommend them to anybody who isn't 3D savvy, or willing to learn 3D software all the way. Just focus on the modeling tools of the package if that is what you will be using it for,and again,then see what you need..
hope this helps.

P.S - I posted this as a new thread if you are interested.
http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/tutorial.php?lesson=jeff

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:05:54 PM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

March 05, 2011, 01:22:06 AM
Reply #5

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
I used Blender a while back to create a model of Megaman Zero (from Megaman X) for an eventual costume I'm making. The plan is to use a process similar to how some people make Halo or Iron Man costumes. Anyways, I'd say that Blender is a decent program and the best part is that it's completely free. It can be used to make actual animations but you can also use it to just make a 3D model. Check it out.