Author Topic: 1/60 G-System AGX04 Garbera-Tetra (MC Kit) + New Modeler = Impossible?  (Read 20811 times)

October 25, 2010, 09:05:46 AM
Read 20811 times

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi All,

First, I want to say hello to forum. Great place to see a lot of VERY talented modelers from all around the globe!
I'm new modeler (come from war gaming) and up to now I completed 3 resin kits from military scale theme.
This will be my first Gundam kit... If it possible to get relatively good results for new modeler? Time will tell for sure ;)

Today I got the package... Great product and great quality of the resin

Thanks for feedback and help
Mark
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:08:23 AM by Steel-Mark »

October 25, 2010, 09:32:00 AM
Reply #1

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Well that's quite an undertaking for a first Gundam.  I just hope you don't get burned out seeing as this will take several hundred hours to complete.  Just look at some of mtomczek's work, he spends a ton of time on his G-System kits but the results show his care and patience.  I have started several of the G-System kits only to finish 1 so far.

Any way it's a great kit and will make an awesome display piece.  Good luck.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

October 25, 2010, 09:36:33 AM
Reply #2

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Well that's quite an undertaking for a first Gundam.  I just hope you don't get burned out seeing as this will take several hundred hours to complete.  Just look at some of mtomczek's work, he spends a ton of time on his G-System kits but the results show his care and patience.  I have started several of the G-System kits only to finish 1 so far.

Any way it's a great kit and will make an awesome display piece.  Good luck.

Yea I agree with Matt. It's not impossible, but for your first Gundam (let alone mecha resin kit) its a big undertaking.

Take your time, and be patient with it. :) The new internal frames that comes with this are cool, but also take a ton of work to get finished properly. They need alot of attention. The other major part of building these guys is the prep work before you paint. Sanding, and surface prep is the most important part on these things.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

October 25, 2010, 10:04:19 AM
Reply #3

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for warm words...
I understand that it will not easy build.. No easy... Nightmare...  :twitch:

Your masterpiece completed models and WIP will help a lot!
Thanks one more time!!!
Mark

October 26, 2010, 01:02:16 PM
Reply #4

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
Ok... Lets start to work!

I started from internal frame assembly... The parts looks clean but even little clean on Huge part takes a lot of time... Hard work :)
Started to assembly by manual of the internal frame. Found out that some parts of the internal frame kit need to be replaced by model specific parts... Hmm... Need to work with two manuals simultaneously :)

Working on the fооts and already found out that some small modification needed. One of the bolts is too long (done as per manual) and rear part that should be placed on the bolt didn't fit. I drilled holes that will accommodate excess of bolt without affecting overall look of the model.

Here is some picture that compare foot to 1/35 scale model

I will be happy to get remarks and tips...
Thanks
Mark

October 26, 2010, 08:51:20 PM
Reply #5

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • majorwilliams.blogspot.com
Looking great so far!  haha, progress is progress!

I'll be paying attention to this WIP a lot - I like this model, and have wanted to see a detailed WIP!  Judging by your previous work, it should be in good hands.

But yes, it is unbelievable to see that you really do put hundreds of hours into a single kit, but it's worth it. 
Check out my blog for my latest projects and tutorials - http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

October 26, 2010, 09:33:17 PM
Reply #6

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
This is a cool kit man!
It's not impossible, but for your first Gundam (let alone mecha resin kit) its a big undertaking.
I totally agree with the Mtomczek and  Matt.
The Zeta here that I completed a little while ago was my first G system kit. It was tricky, and took a long time. As long as you don't get too impatient you should be fine. Your military stuff looks good, you will do fine.
Like they said, you can always ask a questions here.
Good luck!
Throw it Hard

October 26, 2010, 11:22:08 PM
Reply #7

Evan August

• Information
    • View Profile
Really cool.  These G-system kits are neat.  If you have some model building experience, you should be fine.  However, I would consider some side projects to avoid burn out on such an ambitious project. 

October 26, 2010, 11:31:40 PM
Reply #8

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot!

I have other big projects in the same time... Love, Studies, Work...  :D

If you want I will post more detailed WIP, I'm sure that on this forum there are some nooby Gandam modelers as I ;)
and my build will be helpful for somebody.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:35:37 PM by Steel-Mark »

October 29, 2010, 03:06:32 AM
Reply #9

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi All,
Continue to work on internal frame... A lot of work
Already had few issues with defective parts but local fix solved these issues.
At this point I decided to make static model, standard connections are not strong enough to leave model as it.

Thanks!
Mark

October 29, 2010, 06:47:53 AM
Reply #10

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
So far so good, but I'm not sure why you'd be having so much trouble with connections if its an original G Systems kit. 

Still, nothing wrong with a static model, it should still look great, I'm sure.
Building Gundam Kits since 1995

October 29, 2010, 07:23:32 AM
Reply #11

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
So far so good, but I'm not sure why you'd be having so much trouble with connections if its an original G Systems kit. 

Original G-System kit should be OK without any glue? If yes, I have not Original Kit ;)
Some parts are fitting ok and can be assembled as complete model without glue BUT some parts for sure will not hold the size and weight.
According to defective parts, it is common for resin kits and G-System is not exception. So far, I can say that it is the Best resin kit that I ever saw and constructed.

Thanks for your remark :)
Mark

October 29, 2010, 08:20:51 AM
Reply #12

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com

His is an original kit, but that doesn't mean it is without flaws. I had a bunch of issues with the internal frame on the 1/72 Sinanju. The joint system on these frames isn't very robust and can break pretty easily. At that point you are left with a joint that can be tightened with the nut and bolt, but ultimately doesn't have the support that was originally intended.

I'll try and post some pictures of what I am talking about in my Sinanju thread.

October 29, 2010, 10:36:19 AM
Reply #13

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
You are rigth Matt. The joints disgned by G-System are not optimal. Quite difficult to set and fragil.

October 29, 2010, 12:51:40 PM
Reply #14

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Yup,  the frames are a cool idea but are far from being practacle.  IP plastic would be a better choice.  Any way they are pretty cool.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

October 29, 2010, 02:39:37 PM
Reply #15

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile

His is an original kit, but that doesn't mean it is without flaws. I had a bunch of issues with the internal frame on the 1/72 Sinanju. The joint system on these frames isn't very robust and can break pretty easily. At that point you are left with a joint that can be tightened with the nut and bolt, but ultimately doesn't have the support that was originally intended.

I'll try and post some pictures of what I am talking about in my Sinanju thread.

Yep. Agree with every word :)

If somebody want examples of described problem from this kit I can post some.

Thanks a lot for help
Mark

October 31, 2010, 08:02:44 PM
Reply #16

Kane82

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Korewa Gundam!
Okay, yeah, I understand that there will be flaws with any kit, I guess I just misunderstood about the connections.  I've always wanted to get my hands on one of these internal frames from G-Systems, just to see if, like what you're talking about Matt, they are as good as they look.  I guess they have their flaws.   :meh:
Building Gundam Kits since 1995

November 06, 2010, 06:01:26 AM
Reply #17

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi Mark,
Happy to see you find your way here, IMHO this is the best forum for seriour modellers.
I think the only forum I've ever written in that people actually give you good critique.
I can't wait to see this monster in real life,
Eyal.

November 06, 2010, 08:22:16 AM
Reply #18

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks Ayal!!! Happy to see you here :)

Here is some update... Main internal frame is completed. Next step will be adding details... a lot of details!
Sometimes I'm looking on all packages with details... It is Endless ;)

Thanks for your feedbacks!
Mark

November 06, 2010, 02:11:07 PM
Reply #19

Steel-Mark

• Information
    • View Profile
One more main part is completed. I have no Idea what it is exactly but it should be some additional rocket device for taking this huge robot to space...
I didn't realize that this thing is BIG...

Thanks
Mark