Author Topic: 1/100 MG The-O 1 of 3 MGX3 Challenge  (Read 5118 times)

August 18, 2010, 07:28:54 PM
Read 5118 times

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
As you may already know, I snapped this the other day.  And although my initial review was pretty tough, the more I look at it the more I realize that it just looks huge, menacing, and tough.  Since it's been over 104 degrees everyday for the past 2 weeks, working in the garage just sucks so my pour 1/72 Sinanju is kind of on hold until it cools down a little.  Because of that this is 1 of 3 MG kits I am going to try to finish in the next 30 days.  My own little MG challenge but instead of 4 I am doing 3 because last time 4 kicked my ass.  If anyone would like to join me let me know.

1 of 3 for the Polish MGX3 challenge.

Size comparison with MG Exia

I plan on getting this primed tomorrow and I am going with a traditional dirty yellow color scheme with some nice shading similar to my 1/100 SMS Kyshatryia.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:02:47 PM by mvm3897 »
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

August 19, 2010, 02:11:35 AM
Reply #1

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
    • My stopmotion movie youtube site
man that beast is huge!  I've been waiting to see one painted since they announced it.  I look forward to this delicious beast in yellow

August 23, 2010, 01:25:41 PM
Reply #2

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
I started painting today and here is the color scheme that I came up with.  It's going to be a desert type color scheme.  All the armor will be pre-shaded with Dark Sea grey.  This shade has a hint of moss green to it gives makes my top colors the dirty look I want.  The light parts of the armor will be Desert Sand and the dark armor parts will be Stone.  I think this will look really nice when all put together.  I was going to do a brighter yellow but the more I thought about it, I thought that would be just to much dam yellow so a 2 toned color scheme is what I am going for.  Just 1 pic so far to show you the colors.  What do you think?

August 23, 2010, 09:06:12 PM
Reply #3

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
Lookin good ! I love that you went desert! 2 tone idea is awesome. Love the dark sea grey. I always try to find a time to use that color. It's really cool. Nice work using it for shading. Should look really cool. I agree with your decision take a model time out in the heat. I'm from a place that get's that hot in the summer and I wanted to wear the air conditioner.
Every morning was like waking up on that planet where Riddick was in prison.  :doh:
Happy O'ing !  :D

Throw it Hard

August 25, 2010, 08:14:55 PM
Reply #4

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Update time:

Today we had awesome weather.  Our high was 86 so I got all my painting done in one day.  The armor took the longest because of the shading and the size of the pieces.  This thing drinks paint as if it were free beer.  5 bottles of my base grey, 3 bottles of Middle stone for the green armor, 5 bottles of Sand for the tan armor, 2 bottles of Alclad Exhaust Manifold for thrusters and frame parts, 2 bottles of Alclad Steel for the rest of the frame and 4 bottles of Mr. Clear.  Dam this thing is expensive.

Any way I realized that it was hard to tell the color scheme so these pics will show it better.

Base color Dark Sea Grey

Sand on the left and Middle Stone on the right

All the armor after 4 hours of shading

Thruster were changed from that awful green to Alclad Exhaust Manifold.  The brighter metallic is Super Metal Titanium.  Not sure if you can really see, but I pre-shaded the Titanium to get a little more depth.

Inner frame parts are a combination of Alclad Steel and Alcad Exhaust Manifold

The red shitty polly cap parts got a coat of Red Madder.  The pipes will be reversed wash with either black or a dark brown.

And a test assembly to see how all the colors work together.  I think it looks great!!! What do you guys think?

Last thing was a very wet coat of Mr. Super Gloss.  I went with Mr. Super gloss instead of future this time because I want to use Testor's Dullcoat as a final top coat and lacquers don't play nice when sprayed on top of acrylics.

Tomorrow will be panel lines, dry transfers and some random decals that I have left over from other builds.  I think I want to do a little bit of weathering but just a little.  Any suggestions?

August 25, 2010, 09:18:47 PM
Reply #5

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
I would say just keep doing what you're doing. Looks awesome! I really like the 2 tone. Glad you went with the metals too.
I would say weather it if you like, but waaay subtle. Like as if it was huge, and weathered to scale. Just enough to make it look like it's been out once or twice.
Just my opinion. I'm sure it will look awesome whatever you choose.
Cheers dude.
Throw it Hard

August 26, 2010, 04:26:19 AM
Reply #6

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
I would say just keep doing what you're doing. Looks awesome! I really like the 2 tone. Glad you went with the metals too.
I would say weather it if you like, but waaay subtle. Like as if it was huge, and weathered to scale. Just enough to make it look like it's been out once or twice.
Just my opinion. I'm sure it will look awesome whatever you choose.
Cheers dude.

Thanks Grail.  Yes I was thinking very subtle in the weathering department.  I wave only weathered on kit and that was my 1/35 floating Markov and I think I went a little far with it so I am nervous about over doing it.  I was going to do some washes but I think I just might use some pigments here and there.

August 26, 2010, 05:40:55 AM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
They two similar tones look great!

August 26, 2010, 05:42:25 AM
Reply #8

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
They two similar tones look great!

Thanks Mike,

Any suggestions on some techniques to give it a slightly worn look.  I don't want to go over the top but maybe a look of it being used a few times.

August 26, 2010, 08:48:12 AM
Reply #9

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Looking good Matt!

I am curious why you would want to use testors dullcoat over the Mr. Super Clear gloss. Testors stuff is enamel based, and not lacquer based.

I'd recommend using the Mr. Super Clear Flat over the gloss in this instance. The MSC gloss and flat work really well together.

August 26, 2010, 08:59:27 AM
Reply #10

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Dull coat is Lacquer spray, says it right on the can.  Who's Polish now!!!!  :razz:
The can I have is white but it's the same stuff.

Anyway.  I love Testor's Dullcote.  It seems to be flattest thing that I have used, even more then flattened Future or Mr. Clear Flat.  Also on these huge parts it will much easier to get even coverage rather than spraying through my airbrush.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:00:41 AM by mvm3897 »

August 26, 2010, 09:05:38 AM
Reply #11

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
wave only weathered on kit and that was my 1/35 floating Markov and I think I went a little far with it
I liked your Markov weathering. I thought it looked pretty cool. As a matter of fact, between yours and the sweet Markov that Mike has done, I am struggling to not just buy that kit too! By the way ALB, I love the racers and I'm waiting to see your new one. :-)
Anyhow, The O looks great so far and I'd love to hear more about flat coats as well. I have a lot of trouble trying to figure out what to use to flat coat my models in the final stages. I often get weird "hazy" kind of coats with can's which sucks.I guess I'm just confused as to why everybody changes up the flat coat brands all the time? I feel like I can just get by on future, no ? Should I change for better coats etc ?
The future mixture chart on here has been a life saver for me.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:09:07 AM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

August 26, 2010, 09:08:48 AM
Reply #12

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Typically if you get a hazy look it's either to cold or to humid out.  Also with Future if there is to much flat base or it is not mixed well enough and weather conditions can lead to haze or white spots.  I usually get a few white spots so I just have to remember to use lighe coats and if I get a white spot or two usually another coat of Future will take care of it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:13:07 AM by mvm3897 »

August 26, 2010, 09:12:34 AM
Reply #13

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
I hear ya. I'm pretty sure it's not weather though. Usually when I get white spots they're fairly irreversible too. I have done many tests and only ruined 1 model. Just seems like every time I pick up a can it has the same problem. Matt T mentioned that the distance was important, which I found helped, but I can't seem to ever get the "sweet spot " for the distance either., P.S I never get any white spots with future as long as I stick to the mix chart on here.
I don't really care what I use, I just want good results so at the end of a build I don't just spray a big white irreversible haze on my kit  :doh:
Looking for a good work flow that I can stick with in this area.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:17:02 AM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

August 26, 2010, 10:31:15 AM
Reply #14

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Thanks for posting the in-progress photos, I am looking forward to seeing more  photos. The paint job is coming along nicely, but I can see what everyone is talking about, the detail on the kit is a little sparse. It is hard to tell just by looking at the photos to tell if this is a HGUC or MG kit.
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

August 26, 2010, 03:51:32 PM
Reply #15

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Dull coat is Lacquer spray, says it right on the can.  Who's Polish now!!!!  :razz:
The can I have is white but it's the same stuff.

Anyway.  I love Testor's Dullcote.  It seems to be flattest thing that I have used, even more then flattened Future or Mr. Clear Flat.  Also on these huge parts it will much easier to get even coverage rather than spraying through my airbrush.

Well there you go..... nevermind.....  (I've never seen Testors lacquer stuff. Then again I don't really look for it)

August 26, 2010, 07:55:52 PM
Reply #16

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
No harm.  :D  I love the Testors. About the only time I don't use it is when I have Alclad some where because it eats it up.  It fairly cheap at $3.50 - $4.00 a can and it dries super quick.

August 26, 2010, 07:57:02 PM
Reply #17

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Thanks for posting the in-progress photos, I am looking forward to seeing more  photos. The paint job is coming along nicely, but I can see what everyone is talking about, the detail on the kit is a little sparse. It is hard to tell just by looking at the photos to tell if this is a HGUC or MG kit.

Yeah pretty bare.  I am hoping that after I slap a ton of warning decals on it and my pint job will help it look cool.

August 27, 2010, 09:24:19 PM
Reply #18

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Just a few pics before complete.  Just missing weapons then off to the gallery.  Spent most of the day doing decals.  All the little warning decals are from my Sinanju that never got used since I used the dry transfers on it. 

My favorite part of the whole kit is the thruster pack.  Very cool details, to bad the rest of the kit is missing so much.

Big honking legs!!

Skirts and the back to show how the little arms fold up.

Feeling a little disconnected.  :embarrased:
[IMG=http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/7412/mg1158.jpg]http://[/img]

And finally back together.  Better pics to come!!!

I think the back is much more interesting than the front

Thanks for following along.  I will have it wrapped up in a day or so and will have final pics some time Monday!!! Yippee MG kit #2 in 2 1/2 weeks!!!!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:25:57 PM by mvm3897 »

August 27, 2010, 09:34:45 PM
Reply #19

Grenger

• Information
    • View Profile
Well been browsing the forums alot. Never felt I had anything to post that could even compare to the talent of the people on this forum. But I have to break my silence for this.

Just freaking amazing mvm. I love the colors. Nice and subtle, but different enough to break up the monotony. Very nice.