Author Topic: 1/100 Cairn Freya  (Read 13887 times)

August 18, 2010, 02:48:24 PM
Read 13887 times

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
    • My stopmotion movie youtube site
Hey all,
   I've looked at this site for a while now, and it seems the best of the best tend to flock here.  I must admit I'm a little intimidated about posting here, but I figure it's a good way to share my work and get some positive critiques and help from pros.  I guess I'll let anyone reading this know that I'm in the process of filming a stop motion animation including all my own designs, (in the form of conversion kits, I'm using existing model gundam frames, so I guess mostly my design hehe, in other words not bottom up scratchbuilds, as I don't know how to make skeletal frames well yet) music, script, characters, art, etc.  This is the WIP of the main character's mecha called the Cairn Freya.  Oh by the way if you want to see my movie stuff or here tracks from my lil production go to www.youtube.com/thehelmosengine, once I have some good filmed footage I'll post, it's still being filmed now though as I'm still making the mecha, so feel free to subscribe to me there ;).

For those disinterested in reading the backstory and build ideas skip to the photos! They date back a bit, I have been building this mecha for a little while.

A little backstory:

The Cairn Freya was designed and built on the Orbital Research Station 7th Heaven, by the large and well funded Broken Helix Syndicate.  Broken Helix is the main counter-governmental force opposing Terrapol; the Earth's united governing body in the year Post Globalization 46. 7th Heaven was set up as the blackest of the black research facilities, with no ethical limitations, no budgetary limitations, and no records kept of its existence.  When the main character and his affiliates make their way to Jupiter and onto the orbiting station, they are appalled at what they find, but the moral implications of how the mecha was built don't stop them from taking it to accomplish their own goals.  The Cairn Freya, along with two other sister mecha are all taken and a battle ensues.  Rikken Keller, the young pilot who ends up in the pilot seat will come to find out that the Freya was built with one thing in mind and one thing only: To cause as much destruction in as little time as possible.

The build:

I've been building this kit for a while, originally I wanted to make the three mecha (the super mecha of the story) all to have faceless heads, so that you don't see a camera eye, or any real overwhelmingly human features.  I think this went well according to that.  I've been posting on the BAKUC forum, but when I realized folks didn't really like my custom builds there and weren't really offering any comment or criticism, I started posting on hobbyfanatics forum.  I've gotten quite a few good ideas from folks there, and I figure by posting here as well I'm likely to get about as much feedback as I can.  This has been my third try ad making a custom mecha, and I've learned tons in the little time I've worked on this.  I have also kind of developed my idea of what I think my mecha will have in common as far as design features go.  Well I am gonna go post the pics in order, I will comment on them as I post them.

this was my original concept-yeah I know, looks like a preschooler got a copy of photoshop hehe

the frame was a castaway I got in a parts trade with a guy who goes by the username beertax.  I wasn't as appreciative as I should have been at the time, as it turns out that frame has held up well, and is one of my favorite builds now.  Thanks man if you read this!  By the way this is after I already modified the leg, the foot, head and crotch.  I believe the frame he sent me was a MG force imulse lower half with a MG destiny torso and arms. 

leg at the time

after I made the arm and shoulder armor

then i made a chest piece.  not so great in hindsight

i primed it to see uniform color and get an idea of where to go from there

in motion

some of my first attemps at casting one side to make parts for the other

I decided to give the mecha wings that slide forward to reveal the core of a laywaster laser cannon, that was fun to make, I used I beams and built the rest around it.  The top fin folds up while the core slides out and the with is held on by a pivot to the backpack.

after I made a new line sketch, I added the updgraded High Mobility Knee Aperatus with Plasma Vented Blades, and larger hip skirts

decided the elbow was boring and needed something......guns

the gun is magnetically attached, by two axially charged neodymium magnets I drilled holes for and filled in on the respective parts.  I buy magnets in small bulk orders from K&J magnetics online.  Cheap and good stuff.

decided the calf thruster vane was too blocky and small, I wanted something to run the lenght of the leg, and to add the illusion that the mecha is digitigrade.  I made this

added some detail structural parts to the hip skirt, i wanted the hip skirts long to sort of give the feel of a sword scabbard without being one

after i made some cast replicas of the right side, I started working them to fit right, I also redid the chest to look more uniform to the shapes of the design.

the High Mobility Leg Knee Aperatus slide right off still.  I might make them mag-attach later

I had the idea to give the hip skirts both triple missile launchers, twin turbines, and add some detail to the rest of the body, like a cockpit hatch I can animate opening, crotch piece vulcans, and the head vulcans that kuro41 from hobbyfanatics.com suggested.  We had a debate over whether it was too much of a Gundam thing, but I guess that homage is never a bad thing.  Plus it looks cool.

this was all a few days ago, I built the intakes I sketched up on the High Mobility Knee Apparatus, the crotch plate, the cockpit hatch, and some of the tail skirt armor.

I got some action bases to hold my custom mecha up after painting, to film, and to see the general design of the mecha looking weightless, however since I made the crotch part of the mecha too tall, the clip stand wouldn't stretch up to where the legs connected to the body, so I had to make one out of plexiglass.  It works well enough.  I also did the head vulcans by using mechaskunk detail beads and drilling the holes into a cast replica of the head.  I did that just in case I messed up.  I also added the vulcans to the crotch intake undersides.  I plan to run wires that simulate liquid cooling to them soon. 

that's all for now.  I will update as I make progress.  Enjoy!

August 18, 2010, 03:07:23 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Wow... at first (top of the thread) I wondered if this would be another noob project with big aspirations doomed to ultimate failure... and at first the project seemed 'meh'. By the bottom of the thread however I must say that I'm quite impressed with the work and am digging the design. I'd build one! Welcome aboard!

August 18, 2010, 03:23:31 PM
Reply #2

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
Holy crap man I didn't think You would post on this! Thanks a bunch man and I appreciate the welcome.  Yeah the beginning was pretty crappy lookin, I'm still noobish but I'm learning.  I'm kind of shocked you like it (or would build one).  Just made my day.  hehe.  I dunno if I'll ever figure out how to cast these perfectly enough to feel comfortable sending them to anybody, (hopefully will) but if I do and anyone is ever interested in a copy of one just lmk.  Thanks again man.

August 18, 2010, 03:34:10 PM
Reply #3

Asmodeous

• Information
    • View Profile
WOW...  Looks really awesome. Lots of tiny detail and awesome scratching.

August 19, 2010, 02:19:22 AM
Reply #4

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
asmodeus thanks bro!  I'm almost done with most of it.  little details left.  skirt armor with plasma sword hilts (mag-attach), wings need some details to the sides, either plating or intakes or sensors.  The rest is just clean up, smoothing, seams and such.  I need to remap my colors again though.  The frame will be probably a mixture of alcads maybe gold or copper mixed with a little pale burnt metal over gloss black.  The armor will be mainly preshaded white on dark gray, gray on gray, or yellow on gray.  I primed the mecha today, and filled some seams, and forgot many more.  Still lumpy in some spots.  The chest looks much better primed though.  Well sorry to all for many of similar pics again, I just can't seem to choose those with the best lighting.  Forgive my lumpy putty in some spots.  That will be fixed soon along with the finishing of the other parts.  This is just a primer coat to see what needs doin still.  For tonight/I guess what is now today, enjoy!

August 19, 2010, 06:00:28 AM
Reply #5

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Wow you certainly put an huge amount of work into this project, very impressive!
The design is a bit on the busy and squarry side but it's very cool nevertheless.
Was it your first time casting something?

August 19, 2010, 11:45:14 AM
Reply #6

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
To be honest it's not my first try casting, but really only because I have so many projects going at once. I've only been into casting stuff for less than a year off and on maybe six months. My problem is trying to avoid buying a pressure pot, but that seems unavoidable. All the problems arise from having parts that have undercuts, thin parts, or just persistent bubbles. So next comes a pressure pot I figure. But to sort of answer the question I am new to it. Thanks a lot for the compliments! As for the blockiness youre right there, perhaps as I feel more comfortable in my skill I will possibly make more organic rounded shapes. I'm not there yet quite honestly.

August 19, 2010, 12:06:26 PM
Reply #7

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
As for the blockiness youre right there, perhaps as I feel more comfortable in my skill I will possibly make more organic rounded shapes. I'm not there yet quite honestly.
Yeah I know, rounded shapes are way more difficult if you don't use the right tools and materials. I did what you did on my previous scratchbuilt project and it's a great way to build up your skills.

August 19, 2010, 12:15:54 PM
Reply #8

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
I'd love to see it, maybe pick up a thing or two. Could I have the link?

August 19, 2010, 02:19:33 PM
Reply #9

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile

August 19, 2010, 02:58:11 PM
Reply #10

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com

August 19, 2010, 03:34:04 PM
Reply #11

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks again to both of you for taking an interest in this.  Ezechiel that jet is beatiful.  I love the difficult curves of the cockpit, and I see what you mean about using the right materials.  I also build a sytrene block frame and then putty on top of it, and round the edges.  Maybe I should post the starship I just did.  It's not to you guys level yet, but maybe it will show that I can do a couple curvy things here and there.  Man that jet is frickin sweet.  I'm starting a custom small jet scratchbuild soon, I will definitely reference yours. 

August 24, 2010, 01:44:09 AM
Reply #12

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
Well tonight I mainly finished up my friend's lil' gi joe scale cockpit, but besides that I got to make my Freya's plasma sword hilt.  I will cast it tomorrow to make the sister hilt.   I think the shape perfectly fits in with the design, and for the casted ones I will slip in magnets to hold onto the hilt attachment points on the holsters on the rear skirt thruster.  Not much else except that today.  On a side note I just saw the steampunk fish submersible.  That thing is freakin sweet lookin.  Makes me want to improve my scratchin skillz.  Well for this project and tonight, enjoy.

August 26, 2010, 01:03:50 AM
Reply #13

The Red O

• Dear Leader, Supreme General, Comrade General, etc..
  • Information
    • View Profile
WOW! :twitch: Your creation is truly an inspiration for originality and creativity. I admired how you put much attention to small details. The many panels you added give a good impression of complexity. My favorite part would have to be the legs, thighs, and hip binders. They just look so sexy and complex :D. I'd like to see more of your designs ^_^. May I ask from where do you take your inspirations from? :-)
Weird is Wonderful

August 26, 2010, 02:56:03 AM
Reply #14

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
The Red O- Thanks a bunch man, I'm glad you like her legs ;) hehe.  Those are seriously my favorite part too, I guess as far as inspiration goes I think when I started this build I was watching gundam 00 and I fell in love with the Arche gundam and how it simulates a digitigrade mecha but isn't.  Then I Kinda (having quite little experience scratchbuilding) tried to figure out the elements that I thought a mecha would have, like calf thrusters etc.  Then I figured in order to have thrusters, it would likely have intakes to feed them so I added the calf intakes.  Just a logical (or what I think of as logic) step by step build, my first really kinda neat one.  The details are just little parts I tend to cast and recast and just add where the design and need fits.  Like the arm intakes were a piece I just had cast and didn't really need for my other project, so I just held it up to the arm and it looked sweet so I glued it.  hehe.  Other times I just see a blank spot I don't like and sketch out how to fill it, then build the part to match my sketch.  Like today I saw that the wings are really bare on the sides, the tail armor is bare, and shoulders need panel lines, so I sketched them out in a line drawing, and sketched out drive trains for the tail skirt and the wings.  Next I will go and build that using plastruct rods, spare junk plastic, or neat parts I like that I will shape into what I want and then cast em.  To be honest, not that I consider this professional quality, but looking at where I started and where I'm at now on this mecha, I don't think I could sit down and just create the design out of nothing and make it look neat.  I would have to build and sketch, build and sketch, build and sketch.  god I'm ranting, hehe sorry.  I take inspiration from about every mecha I see, I just try to use the ideas and design flows I like, and make them into something I can use.  Thanks again for your interest and compliments.  If you want to see another design of one i finished click here:

http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=5820.0

Not as cool looking, but a basic grunt unit I really like.  I posted a space cruiser I finished recently too in the gallery. 

Okay now on to today's work:

Ok I took a day to just do a color concept update.  I've drawn it down to four possible EXTREMELY CLOSE color schemes that are giving me a headache to look at.  I know I should just look that them all and the first one that I like I should choose, but I can't manage to do it.  I also am not at all following the advise I gave to other folks regarding color scheme, as I have my gray/black/white base, and my main color yellow, but no accent color.  I guess yellow can fill that spot, but I use it too far away from the the center of the mecha, and too often.  Hmm.  I guess I just don't want to pick another color because even though I don't really have a true accent color, I will also have the steel color of the frame, mixed with the gold of the cylinders, and the silver of the vulcans and vents etc.  Too many colors to add more.  Oh I guess I do have the accent color red on the missile heads on the hip skirts.  Oh well.  Oh I did also decide to add some detail to the kit by adding half cylinders to the sketches on the wings, and on the tail skirt armor.  These will simulate turbine drive mechanisms.  And look cool.  I also decided the backpack needed to have the actuator lifter gearbox and axels added to it.  I wanted people to be able to see the housing holding the motor and drive mechanism that lifts the wings up and down, supposedly it would be gear driven, but the gears would turn on the axel.  You'll see it when I'm done.  Well these are my four choices, again exceptionally close to each other, some just missing yellow here or there, but I will choose one of these.  Sorry for the headache you are about to receive.  Enjoy!  hehe

August 26, 2010, 02:25:28 PM
Reply #15

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
The new art is much cleaner. Nice. Google "Sketch up" would be a nice tool for you I think. It has a really easy learning curve to get industrial design style concepts out. (Just seems like that's what you're going for so in case you're interested.)
Good on ya going for the crazy scratch robo action! I like the blockiness, it's a good feel. I would say constructively that it would be cool to see a little more detail, but maybe you are doing more? I understand your goal to keep it simple for your project, so, just an opinion.
After reading your comments about not being able to get the frame you need to start from, looks like you may be a prime candidate for using Frame Arms as a base maybe ? Possibly some of the "Border Break" kits too?They have really good base frames and pose ability to start from,and they're a lot cheaper than MG kits.. then you could add detail for exposed parts and scratch all your armor onto it? Again, just some ideas. Keep it up!
http://fa.kotobukiya.co.jp/
http://tomopop.com/a-modeler-s-dream-kotobukiya-s-new-frame-arms-model-kit-line-7029.phtml

Good times.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:31:32 PM by Grail »
Throw it Hard

August 26, 2010, 02:48:38 PM
Reply #16

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot Grail!  Nah I appreciate the constructive criticism.  That's why I joined.  I was thinking of adding more detail around the engine parts on the wings, probably more than I have sketched up, to try to fill the blank space up there.  I might just make one castable flat backed detail face that has all the detail stuff on it.  That way again it will be replicable.  The calf intakes need some detail as well, and there is always panel lines and random wires and heat sinks I can add.  I like the idea of grated heat sinks. 

And thanks a bunch for the kotobukiya link, that is a wet dream.  I really think that will be an amazing idea.  That way we can all scratch tons of stuff, cast our armor parts and trade freely to make mcsweet custom mecha.  Have they started selling them yet?

Ok on to color updates, they do not yet include my planned wing and possible knee details I still need to figure out, but the last one is really close to what I'm gonna paint.  BTW all but the last photo are just for fun.

First some blue fun ones:

Now some Char versions.  Le sigh Char is great.  Maybe I should start a religion.  Good tax breaks I hear:

Now the Jazzy Jeff and Joker version:

And finally probably what I will actually paint:

August 26, 2010, 03:19:57 PM
Reply #17

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
They have been selling the FA's for a bit now at all different stores and LHS's. Example.. http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist.cgi?Word=frame+arms&x=0&y=0&Dae=All&Series=All&Dis=-2. Michael has another awesome Fichtenfoo built one on the home page. I just use the koto site for reference http://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/kotobukiya/index.shtml I don't understand what it says and can't figure out how to display it in english. I just click the pics.
Check the model questions about where to buy kits from in this forum.
I like your color choice, I also like the darker red, and I'd have to say it's between that and the light blue/orange for my favs, but I'm kind of on an orange kick right now.
cheers man.

Throw it Hard

August 26, 2010, 04:04:44 PM
Reply #18

TheHelmosEngine

• Information
    • View Profile
I just downloaded sketch up and I am so grateful. I want to use blender for the edge rounding, can sketch up do that? Like edge beveling? But thank u a lot. That program is sick

August 26, 2010, 04:16:10 PM
Reply #19

Grail

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
I want to use blender for the edge rounding, can sketch up do that?
Yes you can do the art in sketch up, and import the sketch up subject into blender as the 3d package to use bevels.Although I don't use blender,so as long as the files are compatible.
You would just "draw" the piece however you want it on graph paper for example, then load it into sketchup, then "extrude" the drawing.
This makes a basic "2.5D" for lack of a better term drawing. If you export this drawing into a 3d package (blender if you choose), you can then "etxtrude" the model again, and output it however you like. For 3d printing,casting(though I know nothing really about casting outside of doing it 3d),3d movies,just still images, or paint overs, etc. "beveling" is a small portion in any 3d tool. Most don't have a "make edges all beveled without screwing anything up" button You kinda have to work it a bit as you build. 
 :doh:
sketch up example: http://www.thirdeyeart.home.pl/sketchbook/07%20-%20rover_00%20copy.jpg
werd.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:48:37 PM by Grail »
Throw it Hard