Author Topic: Improving the 1/100 Nataku  (Read 20338 times)

June 10, 2010, 03:00:54 AM
Read 20338 times

hummingbird

• Scratch Building Fanatics
  • Information
    • View Profile
*WARNING - IMAGES MAY BE BIG, I FORGOT TO REZISE IT WHEN I UPLOADED*

Right guys... it's been a long time since I have joined the WING group build, was busy with uni stuffs that i couldn't turn my attention on my models.. now, without furhter ado, I present to you.. my W.I.P for my 1/100 Nataku...

Obviously... the most prominent thing that calls out to be modded... ''The elbow''

as can be seen on the photos... i plan to mod it into something like that .... so.. firstly, using blu-tack to determine how long do i have to make the elbow for it bend well like an MG...

after hours of aching eyes and sore fingers and trails and error.... this is how it turns out....

Rememdy for the back-ward bending comes in this form.. I bliv i used two peice of 1mm pla-plate, not sure <_<  , and make a '''Slab''' that would be glued on to the back of the elbow joint and stop the back ward bending...

backward bending problem solved  :D  and it was time for me to go to the upper arm rotation... the elbow joint look kinda plain and didn't like it so even put some pla plate on the joint to add some details.... i didn't had that much of a clear idea about how to mod the upper arms and i really had to reseach on that  :think:

ok... that's it for the first post .... will keep you guys updated..... stay tune.. C&C are welcome.. oh and really sorry about the big pic....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:01:25 PM by hummingbird »

June 10, 2010, 03:01:43 AM
Reply #1

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
terribly sorry for the blurry pics.. i was tired and couldn't hold the camera steady...  :worshippers:-bow-

alright.. update ... after finalizing the research i was doing since 3 months ago... I decided to go with this plan :

I got too many sprues and too quite a lot of spare PC cups still avaiable so.. i kinda figure will go along with this...
Initial steps... I had to choose which size sprue to use and look for available PC cups.. and had to cut the sheets into 1x1 cm sqaures...

and that's what i came up with

after doing that... I did what you could see from the pic below.. again sorry for the blurry pic   :worshippers:-bow- 
I was so scared when i first started cutting the upper arms... I don't want to make a destroyed it and waste it   :a10:-help- 

but lucky... after trails and experiments.... i fianlly got a good result...although i had to clean out the inside of arms of the pegs and everything for part B ''the female cup'' to be fitted... thin the inner pars with blades and put Part B in, glue it... put the arms together... glue it firmly.. and put in some pla pate to fill in the gap between the 1x1 CM square and the arm... Part A ''the male peg'' is, however, simply attached by gluing and the outside reinforced with putty..

two of these parts.... which will go in like so....... seeing those two working well is quite a relief... huu 

I have to say.. I am really satisfied with how these came up...   B)-what...-   .. and finally...... this is how my mods come out...

wufei will be so happy....  :oo_o   LOL

alright.. that's that... that's the arms done..... C&C are welcome.. but pls be gentle ...this is my frist time serious modding and 1st WIP... so there might be mistake on my part...   :worshippers:-bow-   ''respect to my seniors''

next step is the waist mod... but seriously.. I am at a lost on how to do it exactly   :think:-???-  any suggestion would be welcome...

June 17, 2010, 05:13:13 AM
Reply #2

arrmahza

• Information
  • live and learn
    • View Profile
like the modds so far bro.
expand your mind and the world my follow.

June 17, 2010, 06:40:28 AM
Reply #3

tanaboon

• Information
    • View Profile
Ah, I have this model. Idk if its just mine, but it had like really really bad knee joints. Is yours the same?
Typical mech anime: 13 year old boy who has never driven a car gets into the cockpit of a high tech, multi-billion dollar mobile suit and owns a ****ton of soldiers. Every single other character in the anime says " OMG WE"RE GETTING OWNED BY A KID!?!?!?!"

June 18, 2010, 05:03:53 AM
Reply #4

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
Ah, I have this model. Idk if its just mine, but it had like really really bad knee joints. Is yours the same?

Sadly, yes.... i can't make him stand upright.. keeps falling down...

June 18, 2010, 05:08:10 AM
Reply #5

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
like the modds so far bro.

thank you .... very very very much.. appreciated it

July 21, 2010, 06:06:52 AM
Reply #6

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
OK guys... update.....

working on the shoulders.. ( this is really depressing for me)
anyhow... first off..

I filled it with MMD green putty and add some pla plate as you can see from the photo

my initial idea was to make the ''swivel up and down'' flap just like an MG shoulder.. so.. I have to come up with something ..so this is how i came up with ...

To show you guys what i really intended.. i guess this pic will do justice...

and then.. test fit... of what i want to do and voila...

bottom view

ok.. that was my inital mods on the shoulder.. which i have done about a week ago (i think) it was stalled cos i met so many problems... will tell you about the problems and  the finalization of the shuolder in the next post.....

July 23, 2010, 01:25:04 PM
Reply #7

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
small update guys...

You know that i was trying my best to make the shoulders swivel up and down, right?? well...  that was  :( .. so i just decided to just go with MG RX79-ish shoulders...  so what i did was
1. removed the rods
2.rework on the flaps
3. put in some details... all can be seen in the pic below... - -

and, for some reason.. I was quite happy.. cos i no longer have to work with the swivel.. i felt like a path has opened and then  -_-  I got an idea..

so.. first of -  4 plates to make up a box

and finally... ta-da.... i got two vents...

explanation on how its done???? well.. you see those 4 plates 1 picture up??? i make it into a box... use another piece of plate that is a bit thinner then the borders of the box.. and guled it on the back.. leave the front open... measure the front opening with a digital vernier caliper.. cut strips of styrene ( that is the kind of plastic pla plates are made of) and insert it into the front .. cut the excess strip.. sand it down and voila.....

afterward... a few deatails to the shoulders......

Another shot..

and voila.. some details on the shoulders... unfortunately, the vents are a little bit long... so i have to remedy that.. and i have but i still haven't put on the finishing touch.. so.. gomen.. will post more.. will keep you guys updated... thanks for reading....

July 24, 2010, 02:29:41 AM
Reply #8

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
update.. .update.. :)... alright now this is the final work on the shoulders...... i have to say.. i am happy that it comes out the way it is...

And now.. the Nataku is looking like this.....

What do u guys think???? suggestion are welcome ... :)... right.. on to the waist... gosh i am scared.....

July 25, 2010, 09:14:52 AM
Reply #9

Kylew

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Plamo UK
I think it looks quite out of proportion, like the arms and shoulders are more 1/80 scale.

July 25, 2010, 10:10:00 AM
Reply #10

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
I know this is probably something the creator should be responding to, but since it was brought up elsewhere I figured I could chime in. He plans to lengthen the legs to make the kit more proportional.
Hey, how's it going?

July 25, 2010, 11:05:02 AM
Reply #11

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
@Kylew... yes sir.. i am well aware of that... and this is not finished... working on the waist now... by my guess... with the mods to make it bendable like WZC (wing zero custom) it will look a bit nicer..

@Mrex-Sgundam - thank you so much brother.. for replying in my stead.. I was a little busy today to repond... very much appreciated....

July 29, 2010, 12:48:52 PM
Reply #12

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
Right o... right o.... my friends would be looking forward for the update... and here it is... the waist mod.. part 1..

RIGHT... the very first thing i did was that i cutted the body in half.... and put some pla-plates  as you can see from the picture...

and the following picture shows a more-or-less detailed process of the construction and structue of the ''CUP'' the ball joint of the lower torso will go into...

putting them together... and voila...... this is how i made my upper torso.....

A ''Cup'' in the upper torso... which MG torso does this remind you of?? hehe.. consider this a quiz...

NEXT stop - a double ball lower torso....... stay tuned

July 31, 2010, 02:50:04 PM
Reply #13

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
yosha... yosha.. yosha.. yosha... update.. update.. i don't know about you guys...but i myself am excited to post updates..:) even though i know i will NOT get as much feedback as i thought'' ..but still.. as long as people view my WIP and my juniors learn from it.. i am happy... alright.. on to the posting..

Right,, remember that i used a slab and support system to house the cup??? well, that slab has been wobbly-bobbly so... i decided to cook something and the result is this.. it was kinda hard cos the back of the support was angled and i had to measure accordingly to how the body was angled.. (sorry i couldn't shoot the photos of the supports)... but neverthe less.. i am so so happy with what i got... let the picture do the talking ...

Owners of the WZC (wing zero custom) would understand what i'm trying to do in the next picture...i first cut a slab with a hole as you can see... and you see that long plates behind that ''special shaped'' slab?? I used that long plates to make the sides of the lower torso....  take a look..

all in all.. i am quite impress with what i can do... i mean.. this is my first mod and everything....but it is still a mess and i still have to clean up a lot...

does that waist joint remind of you anything??? that's right.. the MG wing zero custom... and to further,, well.. ''show-off"" LOL :P :P... here's a comparaison pic of the HG NATAKU Ver. Hummingbird and MG WZC BANDAI... hehehehehe ...what do u guys think ??

oh and before you guys say it is not that good looking or anything... pls be patient... i still have to put on some finishing touch and do some clean up... so stay tune u guys.... :bow: thanks for looking....

August 01, 2010, 03:41:47 AM
Reply #14

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Good job so far, that's a pretty big project for a 1st time but you're getting the hang of it!

August 04, 2010, 06:05:56 AM
Reply #15

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
Good job so far, that's a pretty big project for a 1st time but you're getting the hang of it!

Thank you so very much, i was just lucky i guess.. ;)

ok guys.... up date .. up date

As you all know.. the back skirts of every late 80s HG.. and I do mean every... are attached and they cannot be move and it really is a royal pain in the neck... so...  first thing first... i cutted it in ''twain''.. that was one hell of a cutting.. my  arms were aching from the sawing...

and this is what i do after i cutted the skirts... the full process is in the picture.....

so.. after seeing this... i assuming you guys will be thinking what i do with the back skirts... well, here it is... as ususal the full process is inside the picture... and man, this is one confusing process... i had to carefullly figure out where to put in the cups..

and ta- da.... my HG Nataku just got a MG skirt... of cos.. i still have to put more details in it..... will do it shortly...

Inner View

AND this is how much my nataku can bend now....... compared here with the WZC ..

and here is wher my current progress ..... a dirty nataku ... about 75% done..... I first thought of extending the leg... but i decide not to..... but i still have to modify the legs.... or maybe kitbash some....

feedback and suggestion and advise and comments... alll are welcome guys... .but i really do need some advice and suggestion about what to do with the legs.... the legs are soo..... ''ugh''

August 04, 2010, 04:22:41 PM
Reply #16

Asmodeous

• Information
    • View Profile
I agree that the legs are atrocious.  Maybe bash a set of legs from a MG with the armor from he Nataku.  The feet look good maybe the ankles need could be lengthened. Cut the point off of the thigh and maybe ad a joint to he knee.  Maybe..

August 06, 2010, 01:45:16 PM
Reply #17

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
I agree that the legs are atrocious.  Maybe bash a set of legs from a MG with the armor from he Nataku.  The feet look good maybe the ankles need could be lengthened. Cut the point off of the thigh and maybe ad a joint to he knee.  Maybe..

unfortunately,, i do not have enough budget to sarcrafice a MG just for this particular application... but however... i will mod this,, lengthen it and may put in a double ball-joint ankle.... still in planning stage though... thanks for the support.. will keep you posted...

August 07, 2010, 02:44:52 AM
Reply #18

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Easy (and cheap) way of getting a MG to sacrifice - check out Ebay for built gundam models.  There are always snapped gundam models going for cheap.

August 07, 2010, 03:01:06 AM
Reply #19

hummingbird

• Information
    • View Profile
Easy (and cheap) way of getting a MG to sacrifice - check out Ebay for built gundam models.  There are always snapped gundam models going for cheap.

Yes, i am always looking out for that.. but here in london, british people don't know anything about gundams and they don't build gudam either.. so it is very hard to find one.... beside, my sister has gave out an ultamitum that if she sees another delivery with my name... i will have had it... :(