Author Topic: 1/100 MG-ish Skygrasper build (updated)  (Read 2193 times)

Zircor

• View Profile
1/100 MG-ish Skygrasper build (updated)
« on: May 14, 2010, 06:16:40 PM »
Hey guys, I'm working on kitbashing a MG Skygrasper (thought it was a waste having so many striker packs and not enough strikes for them.... ). While I'm still mostly in the planning phase, thinking about how to do everything and all, there's a couple of questions and problems I was running into. I'm basing it mostly off of the PG version, but as this is my first scratchbuild I'm going to be simplifying stuff as much as I can (cannibalizing the back and shoulders from a MG Strike, and the nosecone/cockpit from a 1/100 VF-1D Macross Valkyrie kit).

My first and largest issue: the dome on the top that the main beam cannon goes into. How would one scratchbuild one of those? I haven't seen any spherical pla-plate, and can't think of anything else to even try to use (ping pong balls are about the same size/larger than the PG one).

And of course as I was writing that, an idea hit me upside the head. Might try using those plastic containers that the cheap 25 cent toys come in from vending machines.

Next, suggestions for doing the shield mounting points on the sides? Simplest thing I guess to do would be to just drill a hole the right size, but that might look a bit ugly. Ideally I'd like to have it be slideable like the PG, but not sure how to accomplish that.

Third, how should I go about actually making the intake? vent on the bottom? Would I leave it hollow, or fill it in with putty, or have crosssections of plaplate? Mostly I'm trying to figure out how to get the angles on it correct. I could just be lazy and make it a straight rectangle, but that would be kind of boring looking. Most of the body will be from the valk, with some added details here and there (of course, with the valk torso being way to wide, it'll get chopped down a bunch).

Anyway, that's it as far as questions for the actual build goes. A few of my friends that I've been talking to about this project have shown an interest in having me cast it for them, so are there any suggestions about things to do/not do as I'm working on the build? And how in the world would I go about casting the canopy?

Here's a link a completed kit of the valkyrie (VF-1D) that I have:
http://plamo.outthere.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=789&pid=12898
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:26:38 PM by Zircor »

Zircor

• View Profile
Re: 1/100 MG-ish Skygrasper build (updated)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:27:31 PM »
Got some work done on this today, but have a few things I'd like advice on. I edited the post above with my questions.

Thanks guys!  :)

blacklotus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:07:37 AM »
for the support of the shield, packs u can use the adapter parts from impulse gundam or the back parts of an MG Strike gundam, as for the side mounts u can use the shoulders armors also from an MG kit.
sides use of the shoulder armors

use of the adapter/back torso parts

hope this can be of a little help :D
pictures are from www.dalong.net PG Skygrasper

Zircor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 01:12:50 AM »
for the support of the shield, packs u can use the adapter parts from impulse gundam or the back parts of an MG Strike gundam, as for the side mounts u can use the shoulders armors also from an MG kit.
sides use of the shoulder armors

use of the adapter/back torso parts

hope this can be of a little help :D
pictures are from www.dalong.net PG Skygrasper

Yep, already have the parts from MG strike for the back and shoulders.  What I was trying to figure out was the part on the forearms where the shield would go in.  On the PG the shoulder part slides back to reveal the hole where the shield would go on (and the rifle, with the adapter on the opposite side).

blacklotus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:20:56 AM »
Yep, already have the parts from MG strike for the back and shoulders.  What I was trying to figure out was the part on the forearms where the shield would go in.  On the PG the shoulder part slides back to reveal the hole where the shield would go on (and the rifle, with the adapter on the opposite side).
you can mod the shoulder pads and build some supports for them:

study the PG version and use it like a guide