Author Topic: Tuff Boy 1\35 random scifi tank  (Read 3861 times)

April 19, 2010, 12:47:46 PM
Read 3861 times

Brother Hooligan

• Information
  • Member of the Brotherhood of the Iron God
    • View Profile
Hi everyone!

After a very long time i can build again. Now i have a little overdose by mechas, so this projekt will be a resting model.

This tank is a modern post world war 3 abandoned radioactive over robbed double barreled sovietamerican monster. I think in life its almost 200 tons.
The whole concept is based on my new (finalyyyyyyyy) mill and lathe. In this case i need to build a full scratch model from the first bolt to the last track link. Now i really enjoy the the building and planing, because every detail is decided in that minute. I dont planing forward. We called this in Hungary 'happy modeling'.

Now here are some pics from the two option of wheels, the movable track links, the suspensions and the hull.

B

April 19, 2010, 01:55:08 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Wow... looks great so far! Lucky bastard!

April 19, 2010, 01:57:02 PM
Reply #2

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
You rock! That is awesome! I really like the fact that you have already added a busted road wheel to the mix.
I wonder about the guy that can sit through a David Lynch movie and say, "I saw that coming."

Krueger's Krieger

April 19, 2010, 01:59:35 PM
Reply #3

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Wow, looks amazing...and a ton of fun!
So I guess that you don't have a sketch of the tank's design?

Can't wait to see what's next!

April 19, 2010, 02:17:51 PM
Reply #4

Brother Hooligan

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks guys!!

Only inspirational pics i have:

The well known gundam m61, some artwork from a modernized soviet tank, an animation of the soviet Tunguska AA system and my loved GAU-8 Avenger gatling system from the A-10 Warthog (tank sawer) . As i sad, everything is decided at the moment, but i have some plans for this monster: soviet type pig-iron turret, lot of reactive armor, one over sized antitank gun with a parallel over sized  (the original is 30 mm and 7 barreled, my will be 40 mm and 8 barreled) GAU-8 with the full opened loading mechanism, and the back of the turret goes the Tunguska AA system. So as you see, i only decided the weapons, but not planed the details or anything else.

Now as i see, i only use photo etches from stock parts.Thats the only thing what i cant make by myself. :-) :-)

B

April 25, 2010, 08:04:37 AM
Reply #5

Brother Hooligan

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi folks!

Now here is some update. This week it goes look like a real tank. I need to made the pictures this dark, because if i put higher the light level, the white plastic goes burn in. (i dunno how it is in english) So the main armor plates are ready and welded. Now finally comes the fun! I have a looot of ideas how to make the surface very detailed and real! At the moment, the tank is big, but when it got the mineroller to the front, it goes bigger and longer. I don't want to deal with the suspensions and the cog wheel yet, cause its too monotonous for me. Yesterday i made the dilapidation on the tracks rubber surface, now they are in the molding rubber. I made some nuts and copied it, so i could  decorate the hulls two sides. The turret remain for the end of the building, leave some fun for the finish ^_^ ^_^

any c&c welcome!

B

April 25, 2010, 08:57:40 AM
Reply #6

Macal

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Macals World
Wow!

Really nice build body for this huge tank! Absolutly love the weldings, and the main forms of the hull. The asymmetric look also a good idea, and gives the model a very modern look. I think a few side skirt or something like that may give very good look for the final model after the tracks been applied. Just like on the Bradleys, rounded sides, with srews, etc...
And on the horizontal surfaces, You may add anti-slip surfaces I think, that makes the model more detailed and modern look.
And of course, lots of boxes, holders, etc :-) :-) :pirate:

April 25, 2010, 09:34:34 AM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Will this be a kit? It looks great so far which is why I ask.

April 25, 2010, 10:18:18 AM
Reply #8

Brother Hooligan

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks Michael and Macal!

I don't plane to cast it. Never do anything for that case. The first thing what i must cast is the studio scale At-St :D Its a not so far future project. But i cast it only for friends. If somebody needs a casted part (blue, purple and gray parts of this tank), wheels or something, i will be happy to help him! Of course free. Everything what is not metallic or white is casted. I don't prefer to make a part more than one.  ^_^
Like swimming in resin :D

B

April 25, 2010, 10:34:44 AM
Reply #9

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Let me know about the AT-ST for sure!

April 25, 2010, 11:24:34 AM
Reply #10

Brother Hooligan

• Information
    • View Profile
At-St is the next from this project! I have started collecting reference pics half year ago, but the only thing i don't know how it looks is the bottom of the head and the top of the body. No one makes picture from that area. I need to go to the museum and make my own reference pics. :sarcasm:

April 25, 2010, 02:55:06 PM
Reply #11

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
There's a guy at the Starshipmodeler forums, scratchy, PM him and tell him I sent you. I bet he has some as he made three 1/48 scratchbuilt ones.

April 25, 2010, 04:58:36 PM
Reply #12

Mason

• Information
    • View Profile
Due to the stunningly inspirational quality of your build, I have to ask, what is your professional background?

April 26, 2010, 05:35:43 AM
Reply #13

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Loving every parts of this build, keep the updates coming! :-)

April 26, 2010, 09:39:50 AM
Reply #14

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
I love this tank so far. Really cool! Nice work!
I am also doing an AT-ST in the future, but mine will just be an old amt kit. As for your ref, I think the underside of the head is pretty plain, and I think there may be a small additional " heat sync " looking device at the top of the leg, but some don't have it.
This is from a book I have called " incredible cross sections ", really cheap.
Maybe this will help a little
Throw it Hard

May 03, 2010, 11:25:43 AM
Reply #15

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
Very nice. Good luck and have fun.