Author Topic: MGX4 Challenge  (Read 37872 times)

February 20, 2010, 08:54:26 AM
Read 37872 times

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com

So I have proposed an interesting challenge for myself and perhaps one of you would like to try it as well. I am attempting to complete 4 modern Master Grade kits by sometime in April. (partially to reduce the footprint on my shelves) The kits I hope to complete are the following:

Chars Zaku 2.0
Victory Gundam ver Ka
Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise
GN-X

The GN-X is on its way, but the other 3 are all cut out and sanded (except the ABF2ndR tact. arms which will be sanded/cut today) and it's only taken me, including today, 5 days to do so. These first 3 kits surprisingly have no seams to be glued which is amazing. There's just some flash lines, very minor, on some of the weapon barrels to be dealt with. These kits are so easy that it's almost painful based on some of the other stuff I've been building.

All of these kits will have some sort of customization to the color schemes and will have minor add-ons like aluminum bells for the Zaku and lights for the GN-X drive.

Anyone want to try and match or beat that? The only requirements would be that they be:

At least 4 Kits
Recent MGs, past 2-3 years
Well-done despite the quick turn-around
Decals applied
Some sort of customization, however minor (maybe a different color scheme) done to each
Macross Frontier kits acceptable as they're basically MGs
Deadline of 4/30/2010

Personally, I hope to be done by 4/1, but am being realistic.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:26:43 PM by FichtenFoo »

February 20, 2010, 02:10:07 PM
Reply #1

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Sounds like a good idea.  I was thinking of the Astray Blue frame the other day so I would love to do that one the GN-X, Exia Ignition Mode and RGM-79 2.0 and maybe the Shin Musha.  I have a few alternate color schemes in mind for each of them.  Can we use conversion kits?

This would give me a good kick in the rear to be more productive.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

February 20, 2010, 02:43:41 PM
Reply #2

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Cool! Yeah, you can use conversions if you want... it'll probably take you more time, but a kick is a kick!

I must admit I was eyeing my HGUC Dendrobium today as well... however I think I'm going to keep that in the box for now. LOL!

February 20, 2010, 02:46:42 PM
Reply #3

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
I just picked one up for $175.00  SCORE!!!!!  It is an impressive kit but going to take some serious time.

February 20, 2010, 03:16:12 PM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Matt and I are going to have a Dendro build-off at some point. The more the merrier!

February 20, 2010, 03:32:28 PM
Reply #5

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
I saw that in an earlier post.  Sounds good to me, just let me know when.  Maybe towards the start of Summer.

February 21, 2010, 01:54:00 PM
Reply #6

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
I may join in. The Z II and Barzam both use modern frames.
Hey, how's it going?

February 21, 2010, 03:19:05 PM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com

February 21, 2010, 07:22:02 PM
Reply #8

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I just split this to be it's own topic. No need to place all of your builds in this forum... at least not the finished pics. Put finished pics in the gallery of course! Just use this thread to update us on your progress.

As for me...

Astray BF 2ndR: Cut and Sanded
Zaku 2.0: Cut and Sanded
GN-X: Shipped
Victory: As of now, it's 90% painted. All I've left to do is the red rings on the arm, leg, and hip discs and a little silver behind the lenses. Going with a slight muted variation of the stock scheme here which is unusual for me, but this is the first Gundam I ever built back in 1994 so it's nostalgic for me. Got a great gunmetal for half of the internals by mixing 50/50 Mr. Color Semi Gloss Black with Super Stainless. The other half is a warmer, lighter metal mix.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:23:34 PM by FichtenFoo »

February 21, 2010, 08:42:56 PM
Reply #9

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Cool were off and running.  If I may I might use the 1st of my AKO conversions.  It still needs panel lines and final top coat.  I just received my Beam Rifles from AKO and am going to add one to it. 

Here is my list, but this may change are:
AKO BD Conversion 03 (90% painted) Adding Beam Rifle with
Exia MG (sanded and snapped) Alternate color scheme
RX-78 2.0 (sanded and snapped) Adding some metal thrusters and other things
MG Astray Blue Frame (on it's way) Alternate color scheme

Maybe I will do another AKO conversion since the kits are very easy.  I could probably knock one out in a day if I had the time.  So maybe 5 from me.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:44:00 PM by mvm3897 »

February 22, 2010, 04:49:55 AM
Reply #10

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Awesome! For a 5th, I'm not sure... I have the Ako Bazram and Sniper, Crossbone Full Cloth, and a RVF-25 and VF-27. The Macross Frontier kits are not officially MG kits, but that's basically what they are.

February 22, 2010, 06:30:20 AM
Reply #11

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Geebus... I'd be hard pressed to finish four kits by April 30th. Period. And I'm not even sure I HAVE four "modern" MG's...
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

February 22, 2010, 03:44:57 PM
Reply #12

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Matt and I are going to have a Dendro build-off at some point. The more the merrier!

Yes! I know this is off topic for this thread, but lets plan this. I want to finally get mine painted.

February 22, 2010, 07:11:03 PM
Reply #13

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Matt: Cool... I have big (no pun intended) plans for it.

Progress report:
Astray BF 2ndR: Blue and black parts skewered. Ran out of space/skewers for the armor since the Victory is still on them. Tomorrow I prime.
Zaku 2.0: Cut and Sanded and SOLD! Yeah... nothing to show yet, but my usual client wants a red Chars Zaku so here we go!
GN-X: Shipped
Victory: Internals unskewered and as built as I can. Armor inked and 2nd clearcoat applied. Awaiting decals shipped with GN-X.

February 23, 2010, 10:45:03 AM
Reply #14

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Astray internals are primed. Although I forgot that I can't paint it until my Mr. Color paints arrive with the decals for the Victory. Doh! I could use my Alclad IIs, but really want to wait and use the Misters.

February 23, 2010, 11:32:41 AM
Reply #15

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
I'm working on multiple kits for Tekkoshocon - but probably the Scopedog is the only one that would qualify (modern Bandai kit, "basically a Master Grade"...  Also working on a MG Gundam, VF-0 Batt and Armored Core - and not all of the builds would be "modified" either...)

...Yeah, we'll see how that works out for me.  XD  I guess it doesn't matter if my stuff qualifies for this GB or not - I've got my projects and my deadline, either way...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:49:04 AM by tetsujin »
---GEC
Jabber ID: tetsujin@scope-eye.net

February 23, 2010, 12:31:23 PM
Reply #16

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
It's about whatever motivates you to build really. Some people like a challenge and I figured 4 modern MGs (as opposed to the 2001 variety) would make it easier. Not sure how far you are, but that's a tall order to complete those particular 4 in that short time. The AC especially is partsy and more of a challenge to paint. OH... and regarding the VF-0 battroid, do yourself a favor and attempt to put some rod in the hip-pegs at the bottom of the cockpit. I had those snap off both of mine while final-posing as they're very weak and the ball joint is very tight..

February 23, 2010, 01:36:10 PM
Reply #17

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
Not sure how far you are, but that's a tall order to complete those particular 4 in that short time. The AC especially is partsy and more of a challenge to paint. OH... and regarding the VF-0 battroid, do yourself a favor and attempt to put some rod in the hip-pegs at the bottom of the cockpit. I had those snap off both of mine while final-posing as they're very weak and the ball joint is very tight..

I've not done the VF-0 battroid before, but this will be my second Armored Core build and my second Hasegawa Battroid - I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect.  After a shoulder peg broke on my VF-1 Battroid, my golden rule for Hasegawa robot kits has been to reinforce all pegs during assembly.  "Reinforce them now or repair them later".  :)  It's advice everyone should remember any time they build one of those kits.  Still, I absolutely love the Hasegawa Battroids...  I'd seriously forgotten how great those kits are until I started work on the VF-0.  I'm totally psyched to be working on a Hase again.

Just in case my goal of squeezing in the AC build isn't lofty enough, this is also the one where I'm scratch-building the legs (AC "Cherry Bomb")...  (Of course, that work's already started, but I figure most of the work on that project is still ahead of me.)  I don't know if I can pull that off, but if the Scopedog and VF-0 go well I'm gonna give it a shot.

Personally I find a relatively simple kit like the MG Gundam (or even a Hasegawa Battroid) a lot easier to work with than a newer kit like the MG Zaku 2.0...  I hate dealing with excessive parts count, and I hate dealing with part seams along panel lines...  If the kits I'm building are OK for this group build then I guess I'm in.  :)
---GEC
Jabber ID: tetsujin@scope-eye.net

February 23, 2010, 07:51:57 PM
Reply #18

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Because of my lack of paint and decals for what I've already started, this gives me the rest of the week (at least) to start another MG build. So #5 is the Crossbone Gundam Full Cloth. I'll be painting this in the dark blue/gold of the X2 and use the resin Shot Lancer I got from MechaSkunk. I plan to do the usual metal-parts additions and do the chest skull-eye guns seen in the attachment.

February 25, 2010, 01:05:35 PM
Reply #19

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Just got my Blue Frame Astray for this, and what a cool kit.  Even has a miny Action Display Stand.  Now waiting for decales from Samuel Decales for the RX-78-2 2.0 and the MG Astray.

I will start priming and painting next week.  Hopefully it will get above 50 degrees here.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:29:59 PM by mvm3897 »