Author Topic: Future Floor Acrylic Questions (ask 'em here)  (Read 49574 times)

June 02, 2008, 07:54:42 PM
Reply #80

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
First let you pieces cure for a couple days, then it really depends on how flat you need you models surface as to the FFA-Flat Base- alcohol/thinner ratio. Experiment on a scrap piece to get the blend right.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

September 05, 2008, 04:10:38 PM
Reply #81

optiondrifter

• Information
    • View Profile
I'd like to know how many coats of FFA would I need to airbrush on a model that will be polished using the tamiya/gunze sangyo polishing compound? i will be thinning the FFA with tamiya thinner. thank you for any help with this question.

October 25, 2008, 05:03:48 PM
Reply #82

shaun655

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi, my question regards the final step of flat future.  I mixed my future with Tamiya flat base, but noticed that it left a hazy effect on the model. First time it wasnt really an issue with a weathered german tank, but after finishing a green Russian KV2 it stood out a bit more.  Has anyone else encountered this problem with flat future, if so how did you overcome it?

Shaun

October 25, 2008, 05:49:15 PM
Reply #83

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
You're probably just adding too much flat base. Measure it and make sure it's not more than 30% Future. That should help. I've heard high humidity can cause it too, but I've never experienced that.

October 26, 2008, 12:13:59 PM
Reply #84

shaun655

• Information
    • View Profile
Thank you for the advice, I will try to remix my flat base and see if it cures the problem,

Shaun

February 04, 2009, 12:01:40 AM
Reply #85

bounce99

• Information
    • View Profile
can we use this as a protector for the gundam models?

March 14, 2009, 04:26:13 AM
Reply #86

decoy

• Information
    • View Profile
I have a question about cleaning aerograph from FFA - do you use something special? I always used special brushes for cleaning from acrylic paints, hovewer I am afraid if it is effective for cleaning from FFA

September 19, 2009, 12:23:37 AM
Reply #87

jling84

• Information
    • View Profile
I have a question about getting a high glossy finish with FFA.  I've sprayed FFA straight from the bottle without any flat base before inking and decals.  While the finish was glossy enough for the panel line ink to flow and the decals to slide, it wasn't glossy enough for me to use on something like the Sazabi or the Kampfer.  Anyone know how to get a really high, sharp gloss with FFA?  Can I use super fine polishing compounds on it?  Thanks!

September 19, 2009, 03:48:24 AM
Reply #88

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
How many layers of Future did you apply?
The more you add, the glossier!
Compounds wouldwork too.

September 19, 2009, 08:34:10 AM
Reply #89

jling84

• Information
    • View Profile
Ahhh I see.  I didn't know that more layers made it glossier.  I only sprayed one layer.  Thanks!

September 21, 2009, 02:56:00 PM
Reply #90

Diamond

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi there - I am new to airbrushing and this forum - on my first airbrushed robot. Just tried 2 heavey coats of future on tamiya acrylics and it looks like your red bit on your sd-tallgeese fichten - a slight texture (is that orange peel effect?) - next I want to try a really glossy finish.

Anyway I have been researching the best gloss effects and I am thinking lots of future polish layers then a sanding with 1200 grit or above and then wax compound maybe then a glossy car wax to finish? But I am new so I am stabbing in the dark a bit - what would you guys say would be the ultimate shine? I am stuck with acrylics unfortunatly and I am slightly worried about damage if I sand (maybe its not necessary anyway) but anyway tell me what you think, thanks in advance!

Hmm also just read about 'simple green' if you mix it with future you can get a top shine - anyone tried it?  Would be good to see how good it is...or if there is a better way...thanks!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:31:41 AM by Diamond »

October 08, 2009, 10:38:38 AM
Reply #91

amessier

• Information
    • View Profile
Anyone know if its possible to make a clear panel using Future? 

Was thinking I could pour/paint some on a surface and when it dries pick it up.  But I dont know what surface would work best that it couldn't bond to? vegetable oiled surface?

October 08, 2009, 10:41:52 AM
Reply #92

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
probably not... I can see it shattering very easily. Never know till you try though. Might be better off saving the FFA and using it to dip something in that you cut from blister packages or clear styrene sheet.

October 16, 2009, 04:54:46 AM
Reply #93

maddog20

• Information
    • View Profile
Has anyone had adverse effects when top-coating FFA over Gundam Markers causing them bleed all over the place? 

October 16, 2009, 06:31:45 AM
Reply #94

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Most of us do not use gundam markers. They're not known for their... "quality".

October 16, 2009, 06:36:40 AM
Reply #95

maddog20

• Information
    • View Profile
Thank you! I will look for an alternative to Gundam Markers/Panel liners. 

June 07, 2010, 01:33:25 AM
Reply #96

Pulse

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey, how long does it take for this thing to dry or fully cure?

I'm just confused because I'm hearing different dry times from different places, someone said it dries within an hr or two and other said it takes more than a week  :twitch:

So, after painting the model and apply FFA, how long do I have to wait until I can start adding decals and panels?

June 07, 2010, 01:00:21 PM
Reply #97

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
It can depend on how thick your coat is. If it's pretty thin, the drying time is short. Let it dry overnight if you're not sure.

A week seems excessive.

June 07, 2010, 02:38:36 PM
Reply #98

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Ditto.  If you thin it drying time is less.  I have done decals after 4 hours of drying.  Now it's not cured, but dry.  Those are 2 different things. You can work with the Future after it's dry but handling should be kept to a minimum.  Should be fully cured with in 24-48 hours.  This depends on temp. and humidity.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

June 17, 2010, 12:50:06 PM
Reply #99

Quaos

• Information
    • View Profile
What do you guys use as an alternate to FFA+Tamiya Flat Base for a flat finish? I just can't seem to get the right mixture without hazy, white spots. Perhaps it's the quantity I'm spraying?
Would love to hear some alternates though!
Thanks