Author Topic: Future Floor Acrylic Questions (ask 'em here)  (Read 49123 times)

February 01, 2007, 07:12:29 PM
Reply #60

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Quote from: "Zephorith"
Can Tamiya Clear X-22 be used as a substitute for Tamiya Flat Base in order to give similar affects? I don't seem to have any flat base about and I'd prefer to avoid a trip to the hobby store just to pick some up.

No... Tamiya Clear is just that... a clear paint for topcoating. I've found it to be too thick and not nearly as good as FFA. Flat Base is a gritty boogery thick substance that when mixed with gloss paints and clearcoats gives them a flat sheen.

February 17, 2007, 04:08:03 PM
Reply #61

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
Is Tamiya Flat Base suposta be so thick? I'm having trouble mixing it. Maybe its just had too long to settle?

February 25, 2007, 06:22:45 PM
Reply #62

Amalga

• iLurk
  • Information
    • View Profile
Hm...

Something I've been wondering after reading all these posts... if I were to substantially thin the Future (either using Tamiya Acrylic Thinner or 91% alcohol), would that be as glossy as unthinned Future?
The story of life is a long, brutal assault on your heart by the one who knows what you're capable of, and fears it--all the while pursued by the God who knows you deeply and loves you truly."

March 22, 2007, 08:14:51 PM
Reply #63

Oliphont

• Information
    • View Profile
Haven't posted in a while, nor havent worked on any of my models in the last month or so...

...heres the story:
My finished MG Xbone...that i slaved a few weeks over, after sitting on my desk for a month got ruined. TURNS OUT...that FFA reacts badly with heat. I kept it close to my drafting lamp since i finished. And when i decided to dust it off, i realized the FFA began spotting, yes there are now white spots where it should be clean. Just to warn you guys, dont keep any FFA'ed models near any form of heat  >.<

Anyways, is there any way to strip my FFA with alcohol or something? And to not ruin the paint below? The paint below was acrylic btw

May 16, 2007, 02:42:39 PM
Reply #64

beertax

• Information
    • View Profile
Hello all,

After an initial FFA clear coat, I inked the panel lines using a Pigma Micron 005 pen.  Than I FFAed over the panel lines so I could get ready to do decalling.  However, I've discovered that the FFA ruins some of my panel lines by running them down the surface, as if acting line a thinner.

Should I wait several hours for the ink to "dry"?  I know that, over a clear coat of FFA, the ink can be wiped off even after hours.  But will waiting a while help the ink stick to the surface?  Or am I just using the wrong type of pen?

Any help appreciated

May 16, 2007, 03:08:43 PM
Reply #65

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
You need to let the ink dry longer... and if that doesn't work then the ink isn't "waterproof" and will always run. The solution is to use an airbrush for FFA.

I'll also be merging this thread with the FFA thread. PLEASE POST IN A PROPER STICKY OR EXISTING THREAD IF THERE IS ONE. THIS IS YOUR SECOND WARNING.

May 19, 2007, 06:34:56 PM
Reply #66

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
Is oil paint water proof? and will it run?

May 19, 2007, 06:42:50 PM
Reply #67

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Is oil paint water proof? and will it run?

Yes. Not when it's dry.

July 26, 2007, 05:23:54 AM
Reply #68

psycho_killer

• Information
    • View Profile
i'm having a problem while coating with future for painting the panel lines.
I use tamiya flat blue, after i finished painting i want to coat it using FFA for panel lines, but it turns out the color have change. At first i think because the FFA is clear so there will be a slight color change, but as i mix FFA with tamiya Flat base (30% tamiya flat base) unthinned, i still can't get the original flat color. after the FFA coat the color change and it doesn't have a deep flat color like it used to. When i tried adding more Tamiya flat base i noticed white spot on the surface. What is wrong?
Is it the flat paint and the flat paint + FFA coat mixed with tamiya flat base doesn't produce same color? And how do you make the FFA layer became as flat as possible without the white spots?
Thank you
"Coming back from the dead doesn't mean you're getting better"

September 11, 2007, 04:43:25 AM
Reply #69

Climax-Zero

• Information
    • View Profile
I think this can go here...

As I can't get FFA in my country, would this be a suitable substitute if I am looking for a dull shine?

September 11, 2007, 04:27:55 PM
Reply #70

fredpekker

• Information
    • View Profile
Future is an acrylic floor wax. Way more durable then a spray top coat, from what I hear. Out of the bottle it gives a gloss finish. I believe there's a list of substitutes for foreign countries in this very thread, as well as FF's flat base + Future formula for flat finishes.

September 12, 2007, 06:21:12 AM
Reply #71

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
If there's an equivalent in your country, it should be listed here: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

September 18, 2007, 11:29:45 AM
Reply #72

Whoover

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi to everyone out there. This is my 1st post so I apologise if this has been asked/answered somewhere else before.  :unsure:

From all the info on this thread and others, I think most ppl would recommend the following;

1. After finishing your Paint. Coat with FFA.
2. Apply Panel Lines using wash technique.
3. Apply Decals.
4. Coat with FFA again. (Choose finish by amount of thinner added).

My question is about the paint/wash types. In order to do the panel line wash, must the paint being used for the wash be an enamel with FFA? I plan to use TFA to paint the model (seeing as I already have some).

Before I sign off, I just wanted to say what a superb amount of tips and techniques I have learnt so far from this forum. It has been such a help.

Cheers.

September 18, 2007, 04:55:08 PM
Reply #73

makalaka

• Information
    • View Profile
    • More of A blog.
Hi, I remember reading something about, if you mix future with tamiya acrylic thinner it'll go on easier. I'm pretty sure that the mix ratio is 70% FFA and 30% thinner, I remember reading that somewhere. but earlier in this thread it says it's a 50:50 mix. I just want to be sure before I try it out. Can someone help me out?
Thanks, kevin
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:15:32 PM by makalaka »

September 19, 2007, 06:12:12 AM
Reply #74

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile

September 26, 2007, 04:28:29 AM
Reply #75

Climax-Zero

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi to everyone out there. This is my 1st post so I apologise if this has been asked/answered somewhere else before.  :unsure:

From all the info on this thread and others, I think most ppl would recommend the following;

1. After finishing your Paint. Coat with FFA.
2. Apply Panel Lines using wash technique.
3. Apply Decals.
4. Coat with FFA again. (Choose finish by amount of thinner added).

My question is about the paint/wash types. In order to do the panel line wash, must the paint being used for the wash be an enamel with FFA? I plan to use TFA to paint the model (seeing as I already have some).

Before I sign off, I just wanted to say what a superb amount of tips and techniques I have learnt so far from this forum. It has been such a help.

Cheers.

Just adding on to that, so after each step (Paint, Lines, Decals) you put GLOSSY FFA? Does the final coat of FFA decide what the finished look will look like? e.g Glossy after paint, Glossy after lines, Glossy after decals, and then dull finish coat = dull?

And, I'm still looking for an alternative. I can use any multipurpose cleaners and degreasers, right?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 12:59:08 AM by Climax-Zero »

October 04, 2007, 03:58:52 PM
Reply #76

makalaka

• Information
    • View Profile
    • More of A blog.
Hey, how's it going.
So I tried to spray the FFA unthinned and it beaded on my test peace. So I took the FFA off and repainted the peace. Its a piece of plastic with a red strip of paint going down the middle. Then about ten minutes after I painted it (the paint looked dry  :unsure:) I  reapplied the FFA but this time I thinned it with tamiya acrylic thinner, 50:50. This time it went on smoothly. But there was a problem. The plastic came out all glossy and smooth but the paint was flat and felt rough. Is my problem that I didn't wait long enough to put the FFA on after the paint or is it supposed to be like that?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

October 24, 2007, 01:16:03 AM
Reply #77

xdabblex

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey, what's up you cool cat?  I have a question regarding "Future Floor Wax"
I would just like to know for those how live in the states and can get this product where are you buying it.
I live in Boston,Mass it's a Major city and I can't seem to find this SC and Johnson product and where.

What states are you guys in and what stores are you getting this product at?
and is there anything else like it or similar to it that I could find in Boston?
Other floor cleaning solution that work.

Thanks again,
check you guys later.

Ooh, FF your link on the Decals Train website does not work.
Can you just rewrite it or some thing. I would really like to read that article or better yet just tell me
what is that size you set put your canvas in Illustrator to for a Custom Decal. How do you know the size to make it.
do you measure the part it's going to go on first. Then make the decal or something?

Anyway please get back to me on that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:17:25 AM by xdabblex »

June 02, 2008, 06:30:40 PM
Reply #78

leifo

• Information
    • View Profile
hey i have acouple of questions ummm i spayed future on my piece so i can ink after that i sprayed it with mr hobby topcoat flat and the piece is still just as gloosy and shiny as if i never spayed the thing so i ended up gettin tamaya flat base and it looks like super thick mucus i heard that u can mix it with future to make it airbrushable or can i mix it with tamaya thinner? and also im usin EYEDROPPERS so im an idiot i dont get the 40% to 70% and all that so if u can help me with how many drops of flat i use and how many drops of future, i'd really appreciate it sorry ima moron

June 02, 2008, 06:46:14 PM
Reply #79

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
I believe spraying thinned tamaya flat doesn't work at all, you have to mix ffa with the flat (then add thinner). I personally eyeball it (and makes SURE I have enough). Haven't gotten my grubby mitts on mr hobby

I'm not sure if you wanted to mix flat with ffa or flat with thinner or ffa/flat with thinner, but the numbers don't change
40% would be 4 drops & 6 drops OR 2 & 3
70% would be 7 & 3
Everyone seems to HATE fractions  ^_^

Warning: I reserve the right to not understand any of the questions asked