Author Topic: Future Floor Acrylic Questions (ask 'em here)  (Read 49215 times)

March 24, 2006, 09:25:25 AM
Reply #20

Captain Obvious

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Can you use 91% alcohol instead of Tamiya thinner?
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
-Kurt Vonnegut

March 24, 2006, 09:56:21 AM
Reply #21

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Not sure... I wouldn't though simply because it goes on so thin that alcohol may just strip the undercoat of the Tamiya.

March 25, 2006, 05:50:51 AM
Reply #22

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
Anyone here has ever used future to get the super deep gloss kinda look? the kind that people use on cars and the "ghosting" sorta effect? I read somewhere else this guy used like 25 coats of mr super clear followed by polishing with tamiya polishing compound but i think thats overkill for me.. Can it be done with future?
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!

April 06, 2006, 01:53:00 AM
Reply #23

Gundamhead

• Information
    • View Profile
I tried the super thick gloss/glass look on my Kampfer with straight Future. I did many light coats, and it looked sharp. BUT a day or so later, the future had literally cracked like a broken windshield. Long tiny silver cracks running in long random angles. I'm not sure what I might have done wrong, but I thought I'd warn you. Other than making it thick this one time, I had never had a problem with Future, so no panicking. 8)

April 09, 2006, 09:43:52 AM
Reply #24

Jonkokyan

• Information
    • View Profile
If I sprayed a flat coat on my kit, and I made a mistake. Can I make it back gloss by spraying FFA on top of the flat coat?

April 30, 2006, 09:28:18 AM
Reply #25

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I was looking up info on Future Dipping a canopy and Swanny's complete Future added pictures of tons of FFA substitiutes from around the world. Check it out!

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

May 08, 2006, 09:14:31 AM
Reply #26

Jim Morbid

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.questingfor.com
Hello. So I've read so much about FFA these last two days and somewhere along the line I remeber reading that someone was using it to seal a paint job before inking so that fixing any mistakes that would originate from inking wouldn't mess up the paint already laid down. My question is, has anyone tried this successfully, and could you take it one step further and create layers on a Gundam (ie, lets say I got a nice base coat colour scheme down and I want to make sure that when I mess up my digi-camo :oops: I can safely remove it without destroying the paint because the FFA layer between them will keep it ship shape?)

Thanks for letting me rave about the things that keep at nights.

JM
i]"If I'm lacking in boats it's 'cause I'm fearful of the Kraken"[/i] -MC Frontalot
Currently Busy With: MSM-07 Z'Gok and RX-121 Hazel Custom (TR-1)

July 18, 2006, 02:39:49 PM
Reply #27

gemini

• Information
    • View Profile
I've been using future straight out of bottle but had a hard time trying to lay on a leveled layer but a 1/2 mix of 91%alcohol definately fixed that(this is one of the best stuff world! I regret buying my tamiya compounds :(  

Question though. How would future compare to Testor's glass cote(laquer base topcoat?)as far as durability? I know that the total overall cost would be uncomparable because future is so darn cheap.
h....I dont know what I'm doing

July 18, 2006, 03:03:14 PM
Reply #28

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Quote from: "Jim Morbid"
My question is, has anyone tried this successfully, and could you take it one step further and create layers on a Gundam (ie, lets say I got a nice base coat colour scheme down and I want to make sure that when I mess up my digi-camo :oops: I can safely remove it without destroying the paint because the FFA layer between them will keep it ship shape?)

I think since FFA is acrylic and most of the paint is either acrylic or more agressive, it wouldn't work when you have to strip the top layer.  I think future will get damaged, along with the bottom layer.

I haven't tried it, so this could be a wrong answer.

July 18, 2006, 07:49:08 PM
Reply #29

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
Quote from: "Jim Morbid"
Hello. So I've read so much about FFA these last two days and somewhere along the line I remeber reading that someone was using it to seal a paint job before inking so that fixing any mistakes that would originate from inking wouldn't mess up the paint already laid down. My question is, has anyone tried this successfully, and could you take it one step further and create layers on a Gundam (ie, lets say I got a nice base coat colour scheme down and I want to make sure that when I mess up my digi-camo :oops: I can safely remove it without destroying the paint because the FFA layer between them will keep it ship shape?)

Thanks for letting me rave about the things that keep at nights.

JM

You can ink on a FFA layer, i've done it before on my RX-78-2 OYW. The first time i did it too. Enamel paints don't affect the FFA at all it seems.. I was using tamiya flat black and tamiya enamel thinner. As for stripping the entire inking after dried and cured.. I'm not sure what a large amount of  thinner would do to a coat of FFA.
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!

July 19, 2006, 09:33:28 AM
Reply #30

Jim Morbid

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.questingfor.com
Thanks for the info purplecow  :)

JM
i]"If I'm lacking in boats it's 'cause I'm fearful of the Kraken"[/i] -MC Frontalot
Currently Busy With: MSM-07 Z'Gok and RX-121 Hazel Custom (TR-1)

September 16, 2006, 10:20:17 PM
Reply #31

caljuice

• Information
    • View Profile
What about handpainting FFA, will that turn out fine? I'm just trying to stay away from fumes and toxic chemicals going into my lungs.

September 17, 2006, 04:24:37 AM
Reply #32

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I've used a cotton swab with good results.

October 06, 2006, 10:28:43 PM
Reply #33

GK

• Information
    • View Profile
Not really a question, but I read on another forum that FFA can be used to attach/glue canopies to model airplanes. I'll have to get around to testing it, and I have no clue if it'll work or not but it seemed like a nifty peice of info and this seemed like the right place to put it.

October 10, 2006, 11:05:12 PM
Reply #34

Vinny

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm going to try using the Future stuff, but I just wanted to clarify the steps in doing it.  If I'm understanding things right...
1.  Paint the model.
2.  Put on Future, UNTHINNED, and NOT mixed with flat base.
3.  Do panel lines and decals
4.  Put on another coat of future, this time, mixed with a flat base to desired glossiness.
And to apply it, real quick passes with the airbrush, followed up by drying it with air, and then repeat until an even coat?  
Do I have this right?  Also, anyone have pictures of what each of the different finishes look like on a model?  Glossy, semi gloss, satin, etc?  That's fine if not, but I was wondering what mixture I'd use to get the look of the kits as they appear in the manuals of these Gundam kits.
Thanks!

October 11, 2006, 02:37:56 PM
Reply #35

hkmantis

• Information
    • View Profile
*First post*

Hi, could anyone suggest some other flat base compatible with FFA besides Tamiya?
Here in Montreal, it's practically impossible to get your hands on any products from Tamiya.

Thanks for reading a post by a NOOB

October 12, 2006, 06:27:59 AM
Reply #36

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
Quote from: "hkmantis"
*First post*

Hi, could anyone suggest some other flat base compatible with FFA besides Tamiya?
Here in Montreal, it's practically impossible to get your hands on any products from Tamiya.

Thanks for reading a post by a NOOB

FFA is pretty stout stuff, so I don't think other acrylics will react with it as a Matt Coat over the top of the gloss. I love PollyScale Matt. Dead Flat and thins with water. Testor's Acryl Flat/Matt is good stuff too. Gunze will work, bottle or can.

Are you trying to mix Flat with the FFA to creat your own Matt FFA?  That's something else. As far as I know Tamiya is the only hobby line of paints that has a Flat paste like that for matting down gloss colors. Maybe a Matt Gel medium can be mixed, but you're going to have to experiment.
I wonder about the guy that can sit through a David Lynch movie and say, "I saw that coming."

Krueger's Krieger

October 25, 2006, 03:16:40 AM
Reply #37

linkinpark

• Information
    • View Profile
eh anyone got any idea where can i get the FFA in singapore?

November 21, 2006, 05:33:41 PM
Reply #38

BobSpamGundam

• Information
    • View Profile
I have a question, what will happen to the shine of metallic paints if I were to spray flat or satin future (with the Tamiya flat base) over them?
The habit of common and continuous speech is a symptom of mental deficiency.\"  Walter Bagehot

November 21, 2006, 06:26:00 PM
Reply #39

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
The metallics will look dusty.  Personally, I don't care for the look of a flat coat over metallics.  Flat coats tend to bring out the small metallic flakes and such.  Typical metallic jobs require several coats of gloss for a nice luster.

But with most of these "what if" questions.  It boils down to personal tastes.  Best yo take some spare styrene, or a test model kit, and spray your metallic, then spray flat on one third, semi gloss on another third, and gloss on the last third.  The end product needs to satisfy you.  The best way to do that is to test it out.