Author Topic: Future Floor Acrylic Questions (ask 'em here)  (Read 49212 times)

November 21, 2006, 06:31:37 PM
Reply #40

BobSpamGundam

• Information
    • View Profile
ah I see, thank you for the quick reply, this was in relation to warhammer figures so I suppose I'll just try it out when I get more pipe cleaners for my air brush.     :(
The habit of common and continuous speech is a symptom of mental deficiency.\"  Walter Bagehot

December 11, 2006, 10:39:28 PM
Reply #41

D:Fuse

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi

What is the better quality brand for top coat?  Mr. Super Clear, Top Coat (gunze sangyo) (the one in a can or jar), or the FFA that most people use here and mixed with tamiya flat base?
I know that the FFA is cheaper and you can bulk of it. But I tend to go with the best products that money can buy. So is there a big difference?

December 22, 2006, 07:26:32 PM
Reply #42

Oliphont

• Information
    • View Profile
I was wondering if anyone here has experimented with different layers of clear coats with different bases (lacquer or acrylic)...

...because i was thinking of FFA'ing a model, washing(enamel wash) and decal-ing, and then making the last coat a flat lacquer clear coat...

...anyone ever try this with sucess?

thanks,
Oli

December 22, 2006, 07:44:53 PM
Reply #43

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
The lacquer should do a damn fine job of killing the ffa, but if it'll hurt the paint below, no clue

December 22, 2006, 11:02:12 PM
Reply #44

D:Fuse

• Information
    • View Profile
I was wondering if anyone here has experimented with different layers of clear coats with different bases (lacquer or acrylic)...

...because i was thinking of FFA'ing a model, washing(enamel wash) and decal-ing, and then making the last coat a flat lacquer clear coat...

...anyone ever try this with sucess?

thanks,
Oli

The best way is to find out for yourself by using some scraps plastics to test on. From my experience lacquer coat did not damage enamel paints. But you should test it first just to be safe.

December 28, 2006, 09:56:26 PM
Reply #45

Identity_Chrisis

• Storm Rider
  • Information
  • A child loved by the wind
    • View Profile
has anyone had any luck finding future(or its cousin, please specify which) at safeway,smartandfinal,target,or other because i have no walmart/kmart close to me    :cry: it would save a lot of money compared to $5 a mini-can laquer like testors or tamiya :(

December 28, 2006, 11:29:41 PM
Reply #46

Maxamor

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.maxamor.net
I'm sorry to hear that you have no Wal-Marts near you. I picked some Future up today at Wal-Mark, it was very easy to find.

You could try your luck with Long's Drugs--do you have any Long's Drugs stores around?

December 29, 2006, 06:24:38 AM
Reply #47

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Quote from: "Identity_Chrisis"
has anyone had any luck finding future(or its cousin, please specify which) at safeway,smartandfinal,target,or other because i have no walmart/kmart close to me    :cry: it would save a lot of money compared to $5 a mini-can laquer like testors or tamiya :(

I got mine a few years ago at Target. Look where all the floor cleaners and such are.

December 29, 2006, 12:26:06 PM
Reply #48

Identity_Chrisis

• Storm Rider
  • Information
  • A child loved by the wind
    • View Profile
thanks for the help, i will check there :lol:

December 29, 2006, 01:32:24 PM
Reply #49

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Albertsons grocery stores carry it here in California. If you have one near you, its in the aisle with all the cleaning products.

December 29, 2006, 05:32:31 PM
Reply #50

metal

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "mtomczek"
Albertsons grocery stores carry it here in California. If you have one near you, its in the aisle with all the cleaning products.

how much did it cost?

January 16, 2007, 10:33:53 AM
Reply #51

Oliphont

• Information
    • View Profile
OK so ive been having a huge 'modeling block' as to how to finish my MG Crossbone because i am not exactly too pleased with the way the FFA has given the model a glossy finish...

...what i had planned to do was to use a flat lacquer clear coat over the FFA after decaling and panel-lining (done), but after doing a few tests with scraps, it appears that the lacquer has some negative effects on the acrylic coat.

So now i come to you guys asking if there is another product that is a matte/flat acrylic clear coat that would work well in this situation. Or is my best bet doing wat alot of ppl do and get some Tamiya Flat base and applying that to the FFA to get a nice flat finish??

Thanks,
Felipe (Oli)

January 16, 2007, 10:42:12 AM
Reply #52

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com

January 16, 2007, 12:24:23 PM
Reply #53

Oliphont

• Information
    • View Profile
Sounds good, i had seen that tip before but wasnt sure if there were any other alternatives, ill order a few bottles soon.

January 16, 2007, 08:12:00 PM
Reply #54

Oliphont

• Information
    • View Profile
Ok so i went out today to get the Tamiya Flat Base, now i'm a bit concerned that due to the fact that i am brushing the FFA on that a second coat of Flat FFA (the original coat was untampered with) would make the clear coat too thick overall, and would give it a way too cloudy finish. FF when you made the Tachikoma did you use multiple coats of brushed on FFA with good results? or did you simply do one?

January 16, 2007, 08:39:27 PM
Reply #55

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
FFA sucks in pretty good, but I've never brushed on Flat FFA. Test it first. Normally brushed on FFF goes on very nice and thin.

January 16, 2007, 10:02:56 PM
Reply #56

Oliphont

• Information
    • View Profile
Em k, im gonna have to jump the gun and just apply it on top of the other coat, im sure it wont be too bad of a result even if it clouds a bit. I just dont want the second coat to end up making all the coats too thick in general.

January 19, 2007, 12:39:54 PM
Reply #57

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Quote from: "Oliphont"
Em k, im gonna have to jump the gun and just apply it on top of the other coat, im sure it wont be too bad of a result even if it clouds a bit. I just dont want the second coat to end up making all the coats too thick in general.

Did it work? Post your results for all to see/learn from.

February 01, 2007, 06:22:46 PM
Reply #58

Zephorith

• Information
    • View Profile
Can Tamiya Clear X-22 be used as a substitute for Tamiya Flat Base in order to give similar affects? I don't seem to have any flat base about and I'd prefer to avoid a trip to the hobby store just to pick some up.

February 01, 2007, 06:51:25 PM
Reply #59

Oliphont

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
Quote from: "Oliphont"

Did it work? Post your results for all to see/learn from.

Ok, so heres the breakdown of what i did. I orignally FFA'ed using a brush (un mixed and unthinned) my model so that i could wash/panel line and decal. I then mixed a mixture of roughly 25% Tamiya Flat Base and FFA to make a Flat FFA. I applied that to the model using a brush, and the end result was a nice flat finish, not too cloudy or thick. The only thing was that the flat finish tended to get paint rub off much easier, but with little posing, that shouldnt be a problem.