Author Topic: Future Floor Acrylic Questions (ask 'em here)  (Read 49229 times)

June 17, 2010, 01:19:06 PM
Reply #100

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
What do you guys use as an alternate to FFA+Tamiya Flat Base for a flat finish? I just can't seem to get the right mixture without hazy, white spots. Perhaps it's the quantity I'm spraying?
Would love to hear some alternates though!
Thanks

Good old Testors Dulcoat is AWESOME stuff.  I just used it on the kit I am finishing tonight.  It's about as flat as you can get and it dries pretty fast and it's like only $4 a can which should be enough for 2-3 MG kits.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

June 17, 2010, 02:56:39 PM
Reply #101

Quaos

• Information
    • View Profile
You said "can" so is it this stuff? It's safe to spray over Tamiya acrylics?
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1992/dullcote.jpg

June 17, 2010, 04:09:17 PM
Reply #102

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Yup, Thats the way the old cans look like, the new ones are whit.  Dulcoat is Laquer based so you can use it on anything.  Just do lite coats.  I do 3 lite coats and it works great.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

June 17, 2010, 04:19:45 PM
Reply #103

Quaos

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot! I'll give it go tomorrow night after I go buy a can.

March 28, 2011, 10:08:26 AM
Reply #104

Asmodeous

• Information
    • View Profile
After reading the entire post I have a new question.  I have heard you can create your own custom clear colors using FFA and food coloring.  Does this mixture have to be sprayed with an airbrush or can it be applied with a cotton ball like plain FFA?  On a similar note does anyone know anyway to make a clear "smoke" color with the food color and FFA blend?  Thanks in advance.

March 28, 2011, 02:07:44 PM
Reply #105

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Yes, you can create your own transparent colors with future, the idea was discussed on this thread.

http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=5151.0

I have not tried using food coloring, but your results will vary depending on what you decide to use.
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

March 28, 2011, 02:50:19 PM
Reply #106

Asmodeous

• Information
    • View Profile
Food coloring can be used as mentioned here: http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/custom-clear-colors/  I was asking a slightly different question.  FF has mentioned simply using a cotton ball to apply the plain un-thinned future and I was curious to know if future with food coloring can be applied in this manner.  Thank you for your answer.

May 23, 2011, 04:40:48 AM
Reply #107

CompactDisc

• Information
    • View Profile
Decided to take apart one of the first Mgs I ever made to give it a bit of paint.

I have been using "Pledge One Go" and my results on other models have turned out really nice.

First couple of coats and everything was going fine until I tried to finish up with a matte coat.

I think I put in way too much flat base in my mix, came out cloudy and with a few white spots, if i go over it with a nail buffer it I can bring it back to a shine, but the finish isn't perfect

My question is can I spray another coat of future over it and bring it back to a gloss or will I need to sand the cloudy finish back and start again?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:51:50 AM by CompactDisc »

February 27, 2013, 05:23:51 PM
Reply #108

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Does anyone brush Future on? Or is it only recommended to attempt with an airbrush?

- Alty

February 27, 2013, 07:48:10 PM
Reply #109

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I do both and more. You can dip it too, but that can be tricky watching for bubbles, dust settling, and making sure the excess wicks off onto paper towels. Like anything, all the methods just take practice.

March 02, 2013, 01:23:53 PM
Reply #110

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt
Roger. I just brought home an empty spray bottle (was used for general surface cleaners). I will give it a shot sometime this weekend, as well as brushing. There's a few small details on the figure that I want to stand out with a high gloss finish. Thanks!

- Alty

April 02, 2014, 06:33:25 PM
Reply #111

Cecil

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi everyone.  Sorry to revive an old thread.  Has anyone tried mixing FFA with GSI (Gunze) Mr. Color Flat Base (the lacquer-based line of stuff, not the Mr. Hobby acrylic that's super rare in the US market)?  Does the lacquer base of the Mr. Color Flat Base affect the integrity of the FFA?  Reason I ask is I used to use the Mr. Hobby acrylic flat base to mix with FFA but ran out and stores around me don't carry Mr. Hobby any more.  My local shop carries Mr. Color stuff but not Tamiya, so if the Mr. Color Flat Base works, I'll get that, otherwise I'll have to special order some Tamiya.  Thanks in advance!