Author Topic: Future Floor Acrylic Questions (ask 'em here)  (Read 49224 times)

October 19, 2005, 02:32:56 PM
Read 49224 times

DarkChii78

• Information
    • View Profile
Not really a tool or supply question, but I'll just use this existing topic. The last time I used Future (coincidentally my first time) I had a problem with thick spots. I sprayed one thin coat and let it dry, and noticed that there wasn't "full coverage" on the parts (i.e. it looked like orange peel). I sprayed another coat, and this time I used a little bit more so the part would get covered. After it dried however, there were spots that had build ups of Future. Should I not worry about spraying enough on the parts, and just spray thin coats? Any other useful tips for using Future?

October 19, 2005, 02:38:16 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thin coats are best I find. Especially when dried inbetween with the airbrush. Get a light source at an angle from where you're spraying so that you can see the sheen of the future as you spray it on the part. This will help you to see where build-ups are.

October 21, 2005, 09:27:44 PM
Reply #2

Jonkokyan

• Information
    • View Profile
If I do not need to put any decals on the model, do I still need to  spray a thin coat of Gloss Future, then another thin coat Flat Future? Will the Gloss Future effect the Flat Future which is on top?

October 22, 2005, 06:18:16 AM
Reply #3

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
You don't have to spray multiple coats, but it's recommended as it provides extra protection. I spray flat over gloss all the time with no ill effects.

November 02, 2005, 06:36:57 PM
Reply #4

Pazu

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://apo.clanrgb.net
Question for FF or whoever uses Future as frequently, do you guys thin them? I use it like only once as a gloss coat (it saved my horrid paintjob but I didn't really like it) but I used it stock out of the bottle.

This guy (he is an expert modeler IMO) uses it on his latest build and in his in-progress he mentioned (scroll down, Fig. 79) using thinned Future. With Tamiya Acrylic Thinner! Wow, does anyone else do that?

I've had no idea it could be thinned with said thinner. I think its a great idea cos I find the stock Future abit too powerful. :lol:

November 02, 2005, 06:48:59 PM
Reply #5

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Wow... beautiful build!

I don't thin mine at all but I think Jester thins his with windex. I think he only thins the Future he mixes with flat base though.

How is it too powerful and what problems have you had with it?

November 02, 2005, 06:52:49 PM
Reply #6

Pazu

• Information
    • View Profile
Its abit thick and dries too fast and doesn't adhere to surface very well with the first spray. Sort of like water on oil kinda feeling. Maybe I just didn't tried hard enough with it, but now knowing that it can be thinned with acrylic thinner kinda breaths new life into my 1 gallon stock. :lol:

November 02, 2005, 06:59:52 PM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Ahh... I had the runny problem at first too... my solution is to give it an almost inpreceptual and quick spray for the FFA then dry with the airbrush then add additional coats. This thin spray gives the surface more tooth to hold the subsequent layers. The downside it a slightly textured gloss-coat (not orange peel) which is suitable for decals, does not show up after a flat coat, but not suitable as a final gloss. For a final gloss I'll coat the part till it just looks like it's gonna run.

You can see an example of this texturing on my SD Tallgeese red thing on its head. I didn't do a final gloss there but wanted to leave it glossy. The rest of the kit is flat coated. Also keep in mine the images are larger than the actual kit so the effect is magnified. To the naked eye, it's not so textured looking. I got lazy and didn't do the final gloss on it. :oops:

November 02, 2005, 07:11:03 PM
Reply #8

Pazu

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
Ahh... I had the runny problem at first too... my solution is to give it an almost inpreceptual and quick spray for the FFA then dry with the airbrush then add additional coats. This thin spray gives the surface more tooth to hold the subsequent layers. The downside it a slightly textured gloss-coat (not orange peel) which is suitable for decals, does not show up after a flat coat, but not suitable as a final gloss.

Am so glad I am not the only one who thinks so. For me, that is kinda haphazard and my one experience of it was enough to scare me off subsequent attempt to ruin a model at its final stages. :lol: I wonder why the mist coat is so necessary to provide the grip.

Notice also that the 'thinned' Future the guy used kinda appears to have gotten rit of the orange peel effect too (another gripe of mine too). Hm.. think its worth a shot at trying this out.

Thanks for the quick reply FF. :wink:

November 03, 2005, 10:43:48 AM
Reply #9

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
I used to thin my future with 91% alcohol.  Then I was told that I didn't need to, and can use it straight out of the bottle.  *shrug*  I haven't really tested it lately in a side by side comparison with straight future and thinned future.  I normally use several layers of future to get to the point where I'm satisfied with the results.

November 10, 2005, 07:15:11 AM
Reply #10

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
Matt Swan at Swanny's Models offered me this tip:

"Try adding 20 to 25 percent isopropyl alcohol to your future next time you airbrush a model and see what you think of that result."

Foo,

How long have you let the TFB and FFP mixes store? Does theTamiya Flat Base settle?

Two coats of FFP are cetrainly better than one heavy one. I find it is a delicate balance of PSI and how far the needle is open. My luck has shown me that at 18-20 PSI, unthinned FFP, shot through a medium tip and needle setting results in an even smooth coat. I tried lower PSI 10-15, but the FFP beaded slightly on the surface with the first application. Your results may vary.
I wonder about the guy that can sit through a David Lynch movie and say, "I saw that coming."

Krueger's Krieger

November 10, 2005, 07:24:34 AM
Reply #11

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
BK: I've let the FFA+TFB mixes store for months. I generally only mix what I need for that model but always have leftovers which I store in 2 Tamiya jars. One is for Flat, and the other is for Satin. When I need more I just add more FFA and TFB to the existing mix. So I suppose it's been in use for years then.

As for settling, it does over a few hours, but a quick shake or stir remedys that.

I've noticed "beading" at lower PSI as well. Moreso than I ever had with using full-force 20-30 psi and a light trigger finger.

I thinned my flat-coat for the Strike and while it went on very smoothly, it took a lot more time/coats to completely flatten the parts. I haven't thinned pure FFA yet, but will try it on my fat-suit which is almost ready for paint.

December 28, 2005, 09:30:45 AM
Reply #12

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I went to the LHS this morning and got some supplies and a medium-sized jar of the Tamiya Thinner which I swore I'd never purchase. My last few FFA coats came out kinda poor compared to my usual coverage so I decided to try the technique mentioned above where you combine 50/50 FFA and Tamiya thinner. It actually worked fantastically. I'm looking forward to trying it over bare paint as opposed to over a prior coat of FFA to see how it covers. It takes a little longer to build up coverage since you've thinned the FFA, but the end result is much better.

March 12, 2006, 09:27:55 PM
Reply #13

Jonkokyan

• Information
    • View Profile
Can I achieve an extremely super gloss result by adding Tamiya Clear X-22 into FFA?
Like those Qubeley that look glossy, how do they achieve that result?
Thank you for your help

March 13, 2006, 05:44:07 AM
Reply #14

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Quote from: "Jonkokyan"
Can I achieve an extremely super gloss result by adding Tamiya Clear X-22 into FFA?
Like those Qubeley that look glossy, how do they achieve that result?
Thank you for your help

I wouldn't... I mean you could add it, but that would make the future not work as well. If you do many layers of future you can achieve a high gloss finish.

March 19, 2006, 03:46:52 PM
Reply #15

Saint

• Information
    • View Profile
Do you thin your TFB when adding it to the FFA?  If you do, how much thinner/windex do you add to it, because it's kinda hard to gauge the flat base since its so thick already.

March 19, 2006, 03:49:02 PM
Reply #16

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
No thinning till after it's mixed. Use a baby medecine syringe to measure it all out.

March 23, 2006, 05:31:12 PM
Reply #17

Jonkokyan

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
If you do many layers of future you can achieve a high gloss finish.

Do I thin the FFA with 99% Isopropyl and spray many layers. Or I should just spray many layers of FFA without thinned it to achieve a high gloss result? What do you recommand?
Thank you

March 23, 2006, 11:55:10 PM
Reply #18

Captain Obvious

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Spray it on unthinned in light coats.  It's on the 'article & tips' page.  I tried it for the first time recently and it works great for a high gloss.  It almost made it worth having to go to wal-mart to get it.  :(
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
-Kurt Vonnegut

March 24, 2006, 09:08:58 AM
Reply #19

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I've started thinning it 50/50 with Tamiya thinner. Works great and goes on smoother.