Author Topic: Airbrush, Airbrushing, and Compressor Questions  (Read 147886 times)

February 22, 2007, 10:26:58 AM
Reply #220

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Quote from: "cara702003"
Do you know where I can find a foot pedal to turn a compressor on and off?

Thanks

Cara
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

February 23, 2007, 01:35:17 PM
Reply #221

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
It's a Fine needle, if the packing screw is in the airbrush and can't be taken out then i think it's there then. When i disasembled my airbrush, here are the visible parts that i'm able to take out according to this PDF.
http://www.iwata-medea.com/support/guide_hpparts.pdf
1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17
 I think those are the numbers that i was able to disassembled

March 08, 2007, 10:04:56 AM
Reply #222

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
I wonder about the guy that can sit through a David Lynch movie and say, "I saw that coming."

Krueger's Krieger

April 02, 2007, 03:22:24 PM
Reply #223

Retributions777

• Information
    • View Profile
I've finally gotten (hopefully that is) enough money for some models and possibly an airbrush/compressor set. My question though is if this seems good for the price http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-KIT-WITH-DUAL-ACTION-AIR-BRUSH_W0QQitemZ170095203448 ? If anyone could give me an answer I would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 04:05:06 PM by fulcy »
 need tips on painting gundams, finelining, and if anyone here draws, I need some suggestions on what colored pencils to use.

April 17, 2007, 02:56:33 AM
Reply #224

kirump

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey All,

Been reading this thread with a lot of interest. 

Does any one have thoughts on the peak c-5 (they sell it at bearair.com)? Seems like a clone of an iwata.  I'm trying to decide between the peak c-5 and the iwata revolution.  The only reason I can't decide to go ahead and buy the iwata is its 0.5 mm nozzle and I'm not sure if it gives too large of a spray pattern to work on my models. (mostly 1/144 hg) I'm not sure I want to spend much more than those two abs since I just want to test drive and see if I want to get into airbrushing.

thanks.

April 21, 2007, 09:53:43 PM
Reply #225

gemini

• Information
    • View Profile
I was using iwata HP-B but decided to change over to HP-C Plus. I just got to use a little today and I love the fact that it holds so much more paint!!!! especially working with big pieces of PG.  I am also thinking about getting a Sprint Jet but I keep thinking I need to get something with a tank...... 

While I was using the airbrush I tried to lower the pressure from the compressor and it seems like it works better. I always find that even when i let the Mr.Surfacer cure for weeks, when I use the acrylic paint with alcohol thinner it always strips off a layer of Mr.Surfacer blowing a layer away making a huge mess. Alcohol always tends to strip the primer. Am I the only one with this problem? does anyone have any tricks so this does not happen??
h....I dont know what I'm doing

May 05, 2007, 06:26:49 PM
Reply #226

beertax

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I have an AB problem that perhaps the pros here can help me with.

I have a new HP-C Plus that I've beenusing for maybe a couple months now, with FFA and Tamiya Acrylics exclusively.  It worked great until a couple days ago, when all of a sudden the airbrush started to make a choking-spitting sound as it sprayed the paint.  And the paint that came out of the nozzle now looked grainy on the surface.  At close inspection the grainy substance were tiny bubbles of paint.  After a while these bubbles would dry out and disappear, but at the same time, the paint would not stick as well on the primed surface now and leave unpainted patches. 

I think this problem would go away as soon as I fix the AB problem, but so far I don't have any answer to this issue.  I have thoroughly cleaned the disassembled AB with water and 409 and removed any grime.  But this has not so far fixed the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.  I am looking to other forums for help, but so far I am coming up empty.  Thank you.

May 05, 2007, 08:47:11 PM
Reply #227

Zers

• Information
    • View Profile
In my semi-drunk, non-expert opinion, I would say that your paint isn't thin enough, or it's old and you're getting a slight clog in the nozzle. I have had that problem with my iwata as well, and it was mostly cause it wasn't clean enough or not thin enough.

May 05, 2007, 09:07:30 PM
Reply #228

beertax

• Information
    • View Profile
In my semi-drunk, non-expert opinion, I would say that your paint isn't thin enough, or it's old and you're getting a slight clog in the nozzle. I have had that problem with my iwata as well, and it was mostly cause it wasn't clean enough or not thin enough.

I don't know if its a clogging issue.  The paint does come out, its just that it comes out a bit grainy with paint bubbles... not smooth as before.

I should admit that when I said I cleaned the airbrush... all i did was disassemble to the point of taking out the long needle and wiping off the grime with 409 solution and dipping the nozzle also in 409.  I would assume that this constitutes proper cleaning... right?

Please let me know if I am missing something.   B)  How would one fix a slight clog?

May 05, 2007, 10:28:11 PM
Reply #229

Zers

• Information
    • View Profile
Well, it seems with that style airbrush (especially if you use primer with it) you should pour some thinner ( I use 99% isopropel alcohol) down the back to clear the back. If it's cleaned and properly thinned, and mixed, i'm not sure what the problem could be. When I have that problem, it usually gets fixed by adding a little thinner, and a proper amount of mixing. You could try putting your finger over the end to block the airflow and push the clog back into the paint chamber, though it won't fix the problem, it'll work better temporarily. Again, more drunk than before, and certainly not an expert =p

May 05, 2007, 10:31:52 PM
Reply #230

Mikko

• Information
    • View Profile
Could also be a chipped nozzle.
Do check with a magnifying glass.

Cheers,
Mikko

May 06, 2007, 08:19:00 AM
Reply #231

beertax

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm sorry if these have been covered, but I have a couple basic quesions about cleaning the AB.

First, should I be relying exclsively on 409 solution as cleaning fluid?  Or do I need another, like maybe 91% alcohol or Tamiya thinner?  Also, is it bad to submerge the nozzle area in 409 solution overnight?

Second, should I invest in an AB cleaning brush, and also the medea lubricant to oil the needle?

Again, sorry if these have been covered... I am getting all sorts of conflicting mesages thru internet search, so I need some reassurances.  It really bothers me that my pretty new Iwata is having this spitting problem.

May 06, 2007, 10:36:52 AM
Reply #232

Zers

• Information
    • View Profile
For tamiya acrylics I use 99% alcohol to clean it, haven't tried 409. You are completely disassembling the airbrush and thoroughly cleaning it every now and again right? (I do this every time I put it away for the day, but I think I'm being overly paranoid) Oh, and people say that lacquer thinner works well for cleaning, cause it just eats acrylics if i remember right.

Dunno about the lube, some came with my airbrush, the manual says to lube it if the action becomes stiff, but i haven't had it long enough to warrant using it, cause the action is still smooth.

(my slightly hungover, non-expert opinion =P )

May 06, 2007, 01:25:12 PM
Reply #233

beertax

• Information
    • View Profile
Good news!

The spitting problem has been resolved.  What I did was to both thin the paint substantially, and also I insreted the needle tip reverse into the nozzle and wiggled it around to dislodge any excess residue.  I also had left the nozzle inside the 409 all night and wiped off the disassembled parts all over again with 409 and paper towel.  Now the paint comes out pretty even and soft, as before.

Thx for all the helpful input.  I am still unsure about getting the AB cleaning brush and the lubericant.  Laso about relying too much on 409 to clean the AB.

May 10, 2007, 05:22:21 PM
Reply #234

makalaka

• Information
    • View Profile
    • More of A blog.
hi,

Today i bought my first airbrush. It was an impulse buy, mainly because the store had a 40% off sale so I got a badger 155 for around 80 bucks. For now im gonna use air cans but I plan to upgrading to a compressor and I need some help deciding which one to get. I have two options.

An "official" air brush compressor, a badger 180-10 http://www.badgerairbrush.com/newprod.htm.

Or I guess what you would call a "general purpose" air compressor, a campbell hausfeld 2 gallon air compressor that comes with what im guessing is a crappy nail gun. http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&productId=74905&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10537

I can get the badger for 90 and the other one for 80, so I can go either way. And it doesn't really matter to me if it'll make a lot of noise or not.

Any advice would be helpfull, thanks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:38:00 PM by makalaka »

May 12, 2007, 06:52:56 AM
Reply #235

Zenismyname

• Information
    • View Profile
This is my first post so let me start out by saying, the art that Michael is producing is outstanding. I have yet to go through the user galleries on the page but if his work is any indication of the quality of work being done by people, this hobby will be alive for a good long time.

Moving on. I have a new master grade project coming up and I intend to buy a new airbrush and compressor; as my Aztek and testers combo produces well... crap in terms of quality work. I can't quite decide on what to get but I am leaning towards Iwata HP-C Plus. I still don't know what air compressor to get I got about $150 to spend on the compressor so can anyone make any recommendations. also does anyone know a good online store where I can find the Gunze Sangyo Mr. Gundam Color paint sets states side please feel free to enlighten me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 06:56:44 AM by Zenismyname »

June 11, 2007, 01:01:34 AM
Reply #236

aibuster

• Information
    • View Profile
is there an airbrush tip that i can use to control the flow?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 01:03:51 AM by aibuster »

June 11, 2007, 01:31:05 PM
Reply #237

Haseo

• Thread killer ?!?!!?!?
  • Information
    • View Profile
umm noob here .   when you mask a area off (like put the tape over it)
is there some way to do that? because I do it then i air brush over it and it flows under the tape to places i dont want it to go. 

can some one please help me?
hmm.. no one ever replys to my posts do i kill threads or something?!?!??!<br />mod edit: yes... yes you do<br />

June 11, 2007, 01:59:44 PM
Reply #238

Zers

• Information
    • View Profile
Sounds to me like you're not sealing it properly, make sure to give it a decent press to seal it up so it doesn't run underneath

June 11, 2007, 03:39:46 PM
Reply #239

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
when you mask a area off (like put the tape over it)  is there some way to do that? because I do it then i air brush over it and it flows under the tape to places i dont want it to go.   can some one please help me?

:sarcasm:  This is exactly what I mean when I say that we can all learn something from other modelers, even if they build something different from what WE like to build (even from an old figure building fart like me).

Go HERE and read carefully.  You will find the answer to your question here if you just take the time and bother to read a little bit.   :razz: :razz: :razz: