Author Topic: Airbrush, Airbrushing, and Compressor Questions  (Read 147336 times)

February 17, 2007, 09:34:49 PM
Reply #200

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
Alright accord99,
So air has to be following the needle back to the cup. Too me, that says the gasket between the nozzle and the handle isn't sealing or is missing

February 17, 2007, 09:43:31 PM
Reply #201

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
Is it a new AB? If not It may be clogged some where. Take it apart and clean it really good and try that.It will bubble back up if it is clogged.

February 17, 2007, 09:50:03 PM
Reply #202

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
It's a used airbrush that i got it off from ebay. I cleaned off all the residues, so it  almost look like new.
Mr.Maigo, what kind of gasket between the nozzle and the handle are you talking about.
http://www.iwata-medea.com/support/guide_hiline.pdf

February 17, 2007, 10:14:16 PM
Reply #203

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm gonna say its something to do with the fluid nozzle (#3) not sitting right. The air flows around it and if its not making a seal some air would be able to get through it. Though it might be the micro air control valve (#29 and o-ring #30). I can't be more sure because I don't have an iwata, but those look like the only trouble spots

February 17, 2007, 10:53:00 PM
Reply #204

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
Yeah, those parts are there. I don't have the HP Hi-Line C so the number #29 and 30 do not  apply in this situation.
I should test my airbrush with water first like i did with my first airbrush before using real paint. Luckily, I  wear eyeglasses so the paints didn't hit my eyes but it did dye a portion of my hairs. (Safety first!)

February 19, 2007, 06:39:08 PM
Reply #205

TheZen

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "thor777"

Quote from: "TheZen"
Anyone have any experiences with the Iwata Revolution CR ? Double action, gravity fed with a 1/3 oz paint cup.

I've been looking on this model for a while but never got to buying it (got busy and school) but now that I got more time.

I would also need a compressor which I'm debating between the smartJet and SprintJet. But I'm wondering does auto on and off on the SmartJet matter that much ?
If not I think I might just get the sprintJet and get a surge protector with a switch as GunDom mentioned wayy back.

Thanks in advance
-Zen

I have the exact setup you're looking at.  Revolution CR and Sprint Jet.  Both are excellent.  No problems so far in the 4 months since I got them.

I just bought a Sprint jet, had bought the Revo CR a few weeks back. Found a store in Montreal with the same price as DixieArt (same US price but converted to CAD  :lol: )

Tried it out on my Tallgeese III for now and as far as I can tell, it feels soo much different then a paintbrush. To quote Mcdonalds (>.<) "I'm Loving it" :D

Need a lil practice though :)

February 19, 2007, 07:29:56 PM
Reply #206

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
If you guys are looking for airbrush stuff try these stores great service and great customer service.

Bearair.com
coastairbrush.com

Coast sells Iwata which I think is by far best AB out. I have had many and I many AB's and Iwata is by far the best.(my opinion And fellow airbrush artist I know)

Coast will also match any advertised price and shipping.

February 20, 2007, 11:26:16 PM
Reply #207

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
Anyone can help me out, please?  :cry:

February 21, 2007, 05:59:03 AM
Reply #208

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Generally, bumping a thread solely to draw attention to your ongoing problem is frowned upon, though I understand your frustration. And unfortunately, I'm no help because I'm not an airbrush guy (yet...  :pirate: )

That being said, for anyone who's familiar with airbrushing, here's accord99's original question/problem:
Quote from: "accord99"
Ok, I tried out my Iwata HP-C airbrush today and apparently I don't know how to use it right.
I sprayed it at 13-15 PSI, I added my acrylic color into the paint cup then close the cap and pressed the trigger and pull back, but it kept squirting the paint out of the cap(little hole in the cap). It kept making a bubble sound, it's like mixing or something. My hairs and my head covers in white paint. I thought it was the needle but it's fine.
How do you use a normal Iwata HP-C

accord99: Have you tried simply Googling the problem? I just did a search for "iwata hp-c problem" and it came back with over 1,500 results. Although it's nice when we can handle all our questions here within FFF, there may be some questions that folks here genuinely may not have an answer to. At that point, it might be in your best interest to see if there's any information out there--and then post the solution here for the next guy/gal who has a similar problem.

In short, I'm certainly not trying to encourage you to seek help elsewhere, but at the same time you shouldn't ignore readily available help that may already exist.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

February 21, 2007, 11:52:24 AM
Reply #209

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
I tried googling with term like "Iwata HP-C diagnosis" "help...paint cup...squirt...leak" didn't seem to get any good result. Since there are some iwata Hp-C users in here so it's probably the best way to get to to the bottom of this problem.
I need to know if this is a genuine airbrush or not so i can return it, that's why I've to bumped the post.

February 21, 2007, 01:25:52 PM
Reply #210

TheZen

• Information
    • View Profile
I tried googling with term like "Iwata HP-C diagnosis" "help...paint cup...squirt...leak" didn't seem to get any good result. Since there are some iwata Hp-C users in here so it's probably the best way to get to to the bottom of this problem.
I need to know if this is a genuine airbrush or not so i can return it, that's why I've to bumped the post.

Googling through, I found some suggestion on another forum that seems to be similar to your problem. Though the airbrush in question is a Iwata HP-CH. Wasnt sure if yours was a Hi-line or an eclipse.

But you may want to look through the thread.

Click me

Good luck

February 21, 2007, 01:38:16 PM
Reply #211

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
I tried googling with term like "Iwata HP-C diagnosis" "help...paint cup...squirt...leak" didn't seem to get any good result.

As a general rule of thumb when I'm searching, I try to break it down to the lowest common denominator. You were right in putting iwata and hp-c in the search, but diagnosis is probably a term that not everyone would put in a plea for help (or a solution). Your best bet is to just go for the most frequently used words to describe a situtation ("problem" or "trouble") and spend some time going through the results, separating the proverbial wheat from the chaff. Maybe even--as you said--adding "leak" or "paint" to the search to narrow it down even further. Answers come in unexpected places, and I usually miss the solution I'm looking for when I get too specific on a search. It's better to have too many results to go through than not enough.

And if your first statement was just a generalization and I'm explaining things you already know, then just completely ignore it. This might be for other folks out there--and it applies just as much to a FFF search as it does to any "interweb" search engine.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

February 21, 2007, 02:48:50 PM
Reply #212

moy095

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi, i'm looking to get started in airbrushing and i have been trying to find information on how large of a compressor I could use but i still havn't found anything.  Currently, I have access to two, 4 gallon compressors, at my house.  I also have access to a 26 gallon compressor.

4 gallon compressor

26 gallon compressor

I would greatly appreciate it if I could get some feedback on wether or not I could use these for airbrushing.

February 21, 2007, 03:12:42 PM
Reply #213

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
moy095, with the correct adaptor for the airbrush hose, you can definitely use the ones you have.  the 26 gallon one might be a bit of an overkill.  Also, look into getting a moisture trap, that might help as well.

Welcome btw.  :)

February 21, 2007, 03:13:00 PM
Reply #214

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I've used big industrial compressors for airbrushing before. Just make sure you have a pressure regulator and the proper adapter connectors to go between the compressor and airbrush hose.

February 21, 2007, 05:32:41 PM
Reply #215

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
Accord99  If the paint is bubbleing up in your cup there is a clog some where. I use a cotton ball against the front of my head assembly sometimes to back flow the paint back into the bottle. And it bubbles up , like your problem.So that leads me to think that either A) your passage from the bowl may be clogged.
B) your head assembly maybe clogged
C) checl your head tip there #3 and see if there any cracks or burs, dents and what not.

do you have # 5 in there?

Well you could always go to the Iwata help section and send them an email they will respond in about a day or two.

And you could always call coastair brush and ask them they are Iwata cerified techs for Iwata.

February 21, 2007, 09:24:14 PM
Reply #216

moy095

• Information
    • View Profile
Major Blah and FichtenFoo, thanks for your help.  I guess i'll have to start looking for the proper adapters.  As to the moisture trap and pressure regulator, I believe I already have them laying around somewere.

Quote from: "Major Blah"
Welcome btw.  :)

It's a pleasure being here :D

February 21, 2007, 09:47:13 PM
Reply #217

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
Hmm, I think I have to look into that #5. It's very small and i'm not sure if it can be taken apart from the airbrush. When I disassembled the airbrush, i don't recall of seeing that in there.

February 21, 2007, 10:53:00 PM
Reply #218

TheZen

• Information
    • View Profile
If its new and all you've been doing when disassembling is taking out the visible parts then the Packing screw is in there. I always thought the the packing needle was never there but its in there. Just very deep inside the airbrush body

Come to think of it, How do you remove the Needle packing screw on Iwata models?
On the Revolution CR models, I can sorta make out 2 indentations, looks like  (¦), on the needle packing that would fit a flat head screw driver. I've never actually tried using one because its new and I dont have any reason to remove it. I'm a little scared of removing it =(

February 22, 2007, 01:16:36 AM
Reply #219

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
Think its been asked but didn't see it answered. Fine or medium needle?