Author Topic: Airbrush, Airbrushing, and Compressor Questions  (Read 147338 times)

December 03, 2006, 09:08:36 PM
Reply #140

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
Um, someone snuck in and took the camera... :?

Guess that explains who was playing with my naked PG Strike

December 05, 2006, 12:06:36 PM
Reply #141

Komataguri

• Information
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Just got a free compressor.

My grandmother gave it to me, She got it from where she worked [ it was used in a bakery ]

Its a KopyKake KromaJet.

I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions about this compressor?

She also gave me the airgun they used to spray foodcoloring/foodpaint on the cakes and what not...altho I donno if I can use that with paints [ its an open top, you pour a tiny bit of material in the top of it and you can't sit it down until your done.]

I must have hit new topic, instead of post reply, because apparently I started a thread about it that was locked. It was an accident.

December 08, 2006, 01:08:25 AM
Reply #142

T1000

• Information
    • View Profile
I have a problem with my Procon Boy Platinium 0.3mm AB lately.

1. The button which controls the air flow is very slow in releasing. That means that after I press down for air and then release it, it takes a long time for it to comes up and cut off the air. The last time I have used it, it even stucked there and the air just keeps coming out. I have to push it up to cut the air flow. Any idea how I can rectify this problem?

2. Recently I bought an oil based silent compressor. During my first use, I let the AB shoot out air and I could smell some oil.. hmm.. Then when I used it for metal paints, (steel and gun chrome) the paint would "fog" on the parts. YES, FOG. Like fogging on flat coat. Other colours are OK. This did not happened before as I often use gun chrome. Any idea are these problems connected? (like compressor shooting out oil or something?)

December 08, 2006, 04:43:59 AM
Reply #143

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
1. check the air valve/spring and what not. Should check the whole area of the trigger, might be that there's something gumming it up or a rough edge the trigger its catching on

2. I'm gona say yes

December 09, 2006, 06:27:32 AM
Reply #144

T1000

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "mrmaigo"
1. check the air valve/spring and what not. Should check the whole area of the trigger, might be that there's something gumming it up or a rough edge the trigger its catching on

2. I'm gona say yes

Regarding problem 2, other than bringing the compressor for service, is there any other way out?  :cry:

December 09, 2006, 06:46:54 AM
Reply #145

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
I'd just let it run for a while.
We have a mid size 5 gallon (not that I AB with it), we started it without the filter or the oil pressure cap, after we used it for a while we stopped getting oil.
So yeah, its nothing big, just let it blow its self out. If its for airbrushing, it might have said to do that in the manual. But now you know anyway

December 09, 2006, 10:38:09 AM
Reply #146

wreeper007

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://1000words-photography.com
Posted then needed to be moved.

I don't have the financial means to buy a compressor right now, seeing how books are a little more important than a hobby.

I have been using canned air for a little while. I like it, in the almost silent part. Problem is, I need to regulate it somehow.

I went on hobbylinc and found a canned air regulator. It is by another company though (as in, not testors).

My question is simple really, are all cans of air the same. Like, will this fit on the testors cans or only this company's?

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hca/hcahcar4117.htm

December 09, 2006, 11:31:22 AM
Reply #147

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I would guess that each brand tries to make you buy its own supply, but ask the seller.
I tried to paint with those, never really managed to so bought a cheap (around 150$ with an airbrush) compressor. Does a better job and is really more reliable, my main concern about canned air.

December 09, 2006, 11:38:11 AM
Reply #148

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Here's a thread on canned air I found while searching:

http://fichtenfoo.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=491&highlight=air

I believe there's more threads somewhere about this or even in this thread.

I searched model help for can air and checked find all terms

December 09, 2006, 11:41:13 AM
Reply #149

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
I tried canned air once years ago.

Bad idea. As you use it the can gets cold, so the pressure drops... can get soo cold there's almost no pressure left in the can even though its almost full :?

December 09, 2006, 02:06:25 PM
Reply #150

Artic Fox

• Information
    • View Profile
The most fun that I've had with can air is using it to freze black widows, slugs, and snails....

December 10, 2006, 07:49:38 AM
Reply #151

wreeper007

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://1000words-photography.com
looking through testors site, I saw that there is a can adaptor that has the standard airbrush end. Could I throw a regulator on this adaptor and just go with it?

December 10, 2006, 07:55:03 AM
Reply #152

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
You COULD, but the problem is running out of pressure

December 10, 2006, 11:59:14 AM
Reply #153

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
I would recommend saving up your money and get a compressor, the price has come down quite a bit over the last few years.  Cans of compressed air is a very short-sighted and inadequate solution in my opinion.

December 10, 2006, 04:46:27 PM
Reply #154

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
If you put the can in a bucket of warm water while you spray it will be ok pressure wise.(not hot but warm)
I did tee shirts this way for awhile. But cans suck , get your self a compressor.

December 11, 2006, 12:09:57 PM
Reply #155

BM2

• John Fields
  • Information
  • "Sometimes you just have to be stupid"Joe Strummer
    • View Profile
I looked up canned air - Testors list thier can @ $14.99 a good useable compressor can be had for $79.00 so it really does not make a lot of sense to use canned air unless it's a one time thing-
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=3_180_26&page=1&sort=4a
The dude abides!

December 11, 2006, 10:44:49 PM
Reply #156

D:Fuse

• Information
    • View Profile
I will be upgrading my old equipments to these products this week. I will be buying them from local art store.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/airbrush/performance/hpbc_info.jsp
http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/airbrush/kustom/kch_info.jsp
http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/compressors/smartpro_info.jsp

So I hope that no one has a bad experience with these products.

December 12, 2006, 09:43:14 AM
Reply #157

thor777

• Information
    • View Profile
I have couple questions for my Iwata Sprint Jet.  I've been using it fine the past month or so but have noticing some strange things.

1.  The moisture trap never trapped any water from the beginning since I bought it.  All the water gets trapped by my pistol grip filter.  Is this normal?

2.  A steady hissing sound comes from the moisture trap area, like air leaking.  I think air is coming out of the bottom tip of the moisture trap.  Is this normal?

If anyone have a Sprint Jet can you let me know if yours do this, too?  :?

December 27, 2006, 02:38:21 AM
Reply #158

sn4pp3r

• Information
    • View Profile
hai guys,
i am just wondering anyone here is using badger 155 or 360 ? i am abt to buy 155 but the seller said better buy 360 because of universal (bottom n gravity feed). what do you guys opinion ?
thx for the info.

December 27, 2006, 02:47:47 AM
Reply #159

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I'd go with the 360, gravity fed airbrushes tend to work better  from what I've heard.
*PRO TIPS*: Syntax and orthography exist, use them.