Author Topic: Airbrush, Airbrushing, and Compressor Questions  (Read 146622 times)

July 28, 2006, 05:19:03 PM
Reply #100

Cmdr Harabec

• Information
    • View Profile
I've got a Paasche VSR90 Gravity Feed airbrush, and I've encountered problems with it lately. Instead of sucking in the paint from the feed, it blows air out of it, making a bubble - or doesn't do anything at all, and the paint just sits there. (This is on any pressure from around 5PSI to.. like... 35.)

I've taken it apart numerous times and cleaned it with different substances each time, this past time using acetone to really dislodge anything stuck in there, but the problem still persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I can't think of what could possibly be the problem..

July 28, 2006, 05:27:15 PM
Reply #101

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
That usually denotes a clog, but you fixed that. Are you using the right size tips and needles? They should all match. All fine, all medium, etc...

July 28, 2006, 06:00:14 PM
Reply #102

Cmdr Harabec

• Information
    • View Profile
Yeah - I've only got two needles for it, and one size cap, and I'm using the needle they had in it when I got it.

July 29, 2006, 07:24:59 AM
Reply #103

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
Try the other cap and needle and see if it sprays? Then you'll know if its clogged at the needle Last time i had a clog because of spraying mr surfacer - a particle got stuck really really good and refused to come out with the strongest of thinners..
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!

August 05, 2006, 02:47:57 PM
Reply #104

AndreZero

• Information
    • View Profile
Does anyone know if you can add a tank to a Paasche D500?   I've been spoiled by using my brothers Paasche D3000 and have just aquired a D500 (hand me down from a friend) and am wondering if a tank expansion is an option.  It doesn't look like paasche sells tanks separately so that makes me doubt it is possible...

August 07, 2006, 04:25:57 PM
Reply #105

Cmdr Harabec

• Information
    • View Profile
Tried the other needle today. The problem seems to lie in the front assembly itself, and possibly in the cap. When I removed the caps, it sprayed awkwardly like it was being forced out of a trickle - most of it accumulating on the needle, in fact, and then dripping off of that - so I'm going to try cleaning the airbrush.. again.

August 07, 2006, 04:45:37 PM
Reply #106

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Hmmm... wonder if your needle is bent.

August 07, 2006, 07:48:19 PM
Reply #107

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
Hmmm... wonder if your needle is bent.

That could be possible. But your needle haed could be dented or cracked.(I think dented.)

You say you tried both needles and same effect has happened?
I am not to familier with the pashee AB but I belive your head assembly has 2 halves. In the center of those halves is the cone the needle sides into.( A teardrop looking thing) Inspect the point of that and make sure there are no cracks or dents. ( you may need magnifine glass if you eye sight not good.)

But if you are getting bubbles then there is a clog some where. Try this and let me know if it works.

September 15, 2006, 07:04:08 AM
Reply #108

amessier

• Information
    • View Profile
I live in new england and its starting to get cold. Im just wondering when is it to cold to air brush?

September 20, 2006, 01:08:00 PM
Reply #109

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Here's Tochiros post from another 2 threads. Please help him someone! 8)

Quote from: "tochiro"
hi ,I am thinking to buy a airbrush what is yours opinion of this model?

a some one best? not iwata please

thanks!!

September 21, 2006, 01:31:33 AM
Reply #110

tochiro

• Information
    • View Profile
thanks for move the post master foo!!

sorry for trouble :oops:

October 02, 2006, 11:35:51 AM
Reply #111

thor777

• Information
    • View Profile
I just bought a Iwata Silver Jet which has a working pressure of 10-18 PSI.  Is that good enough for painting acrylic paints at 50:50 paint:alcohol ratio or should I upgrade to the Sprint Jet?

Also, if I wanted to paint with a 60:40 or 70:30 mixture, is 10-18 PSI enough?

October 08, 2006, 04:38:11 PM
Reply #112

Vinny

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I have an airbrushing question, but I guess it's more general then just that.  I was  painting the engines on the back of my MG F91, and the middel of each is yellow, while the outside is grey.  So, I figured I'd airbrush the piece yellow, then mask it and do the grey.  However, the yellow was not coming out well on the dark grey.  So, two questions:
1. Is it possible to paint a lighter color onto a darker plastic?  I did like quite a few coats and it still did't come out.  
2.  What about it I sprayed the piece in the grey first, then masked the grey to do the yellow.  Would the yellow come out looking darker on the grey paint, also?

October 08, 2006, 04:48:56 PM
Reply #113

Shadowfire

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/crackpotsmoker
I'd suggest you try it out on scrap plastic just to test that stuff out.

Actually, I'm a bit confused as to your situation. It seems to me you painted the yellow first? My suggestion would be to try painting the yellow area white or something light before you paint on the yellow. FYI undercoats do affect the shade of the color of the coat that covers it.
ime is of the essence.

October 08, 2006, 04:49:10 PM
Reply #114

Artic Fox

• Information
    • View Profile
try priming your part first, I think tamiya makes a white primer

October 12, 2006, 10:36:32 AM
Reply #115

fox_60289

• Information
    • View Profile
Well I'm very very very new to gunpla and was wondering about the use of C02. My main hobby is paintball, which makes this one seem inexpensive at best. I have a few paintball regulators that can run pressure from 0-250 psi and a few 16 and 20 oz tanks. If I get a decent AB can I just use these with a few fittings to make use of the airbrush. I don't have the cash to throw down on a good compressor and I live in a dorm so I need something pretty much completely silent.

I was also wondering what paints you use in an airbrush and is there any good articles on thinning and color choice?

Thanks

-fox-

October 12, 2006, 11:12:49 AM
Reply #116

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Quote from: "fox_60289"
I was also wondering what paints you use in an airbrush and is there any good articles on thinning and color choice?

That's an excellent question--and a frequently asked one at that. I'd suggest you start by reading:
FichtenFoo's Model Tutorial
The "Paint Sticky" in this very section
The "Airbrush Sticky" (you are here)
The "Choosing Color Scheme Ideas" Sticky (... yadda-yadda in this section, too yadda-yadda...)

Also, please utilize the Search function prior to posting questions. Although your CO2 question is somewhat unique, your paint questions are not.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

October 12, 2006, 11:35:38 AM
Reply #117

gamerabaenre

• Information
    • View Profile
Here's an article I found on using CO2 with airbrushing:
http://www.airbrushtalk.com/abtv5n2.htm
This may help you out.  I have no experience using CO2 as an airsource, but I'm sure you can contact the author of the above article if you have more specific questions.

November 04, 2006, 10:25:49 AM
Reply #118

Vinny

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey guys.  My airbrush has crapped out o me and I can't figure out what's wrong with it.  I've cleaner every single piece of it with 409 and even laquer thinner, but whenever I go to spray some paint, it just get's clogged.  I know the paints not to thick because it even clogs on some Tamiya I mixed with like a 80:20 thinner:paint ratio.  Any ideas?

November 04, 2006, 10:55:20 AM
Reply #119

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Perhaps air isn't getting to the paint. Is it a gravity or syphon feed? What AB is it? Unscrew the parts that connect to the air hose, all the parts, and try that next. Your paint cup may also be clogged if it's syphon feed. Once I had paper towel stuck in the tube from cleaning and didn't know. Had the same problem you're having.