Author Topic: Airbrush, Airbrushing, and Compressor Questions  (Read 147361 times)

December 27, 2006, 03:21:30 PM
Reply #160

Maxamor

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.maxamor.net
Hello all. I recently (last night) bought a Badger Crescendo (175). It's the first airbrush I have ever bought and I have never used one before. I am still waiting for it to be delivered, but I know I won't be able to use it until I get a compressor. I have been looking at different compressors and do not know which one to get. The Badger compressors don't look great to me, but I did think the Iwata Sprint Jet Compressor looks nice and has the capabilities I'll need.

Will the air hose that comes with the Crescendo fit onto the Iwata compressor?

The Sprint Jet compressos looks like it has an air pressure guage and moisture trap, does it?

If anyone has had any experience with this compressor, please tell me if it is the one to get.

Thanks!

December 27, 2006, 08:04:19 PM
Reply #161

StormKat

• Lord o' Thunder
  • Information
    • View Profile
I have a Sprint Jet.  It does come with a gauge and moisture trap.
It also comes with a bunch of adapters and a plastic hose.  One of the adapters should work for your Badger.
------
[Lord o' Thunder]

December 27, 2006, 09:55:19 PM
Reply #162

Maxamor

• Information
    • View Profile
About how noisey would you say it is? Is it loud or quiet?

December 27, 2006, 10:13:49 PM
Reply #163

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
I also have the Badger Crescendo 175 and my compressor is ABD compressor.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/compress.aspx
The compressor sound level is almost loud as a regular microwave. I don't really care about the noise because when you're airbrushing the parts, you'll completely ignore the noice of the compressor.
You can upgrade it to come with a tank. The quality is the same as those of iwata or other brand. As long it do the job. By the way, it came with moisture traps so you don't need to pay extra for it.
It's a good combination of Badger 175 and this compressor. However, if you plan spraying primer coat with the Badger airbrush, you probably want to buy another airbrush since I'm very lazy to clean the dry primer's sediments in the empty bottle. Or, buy some more empty bottle with the ...feeder..?. to connect to the airbrush at Hobbyincs.com

December 27, 2006, 10:35:12 PM
Reply #164

Maxamor

• Information
    • View Profile
I had hoped to avoid applying base/primer with the AB itself. I know that Tamiya and lots of other brands for that matter make primer and base coats in spray cans. I was thinking of applying it that way and saving the AB only for colors.

Thoughts?

December 28, 2006, 01:37:44 PM
Reply #165

tehmarken

• Information
    • View Profile
So, I have the best girlfriend in the world. For Xmas, she bought an airbrush and compressor from a friend and made me very happy; a Badger Crescendo 175 and some compressor (from looking at it I figured out its 42psi max).

So, next week when break ends and I fly back up to college, I get to spend lots of time learning how to airbrush and make my models look really good.

But, I just have a few questions:

How important is a pressure regulator and/or moisture trap?

What are essentials for a spraybooth, sizewise etc? I'm thinking of just grabbing a plastic storage bin, cutting out a hole in the back and running a vent fan+tube out the window. Do I need to worry about paint collecting on the window screen, should I get a filter?

Lastly, what kind of mask will I need? Are the standard lawn-working ones good enough, or are there some special masks specifically for paint that have extra filtration or something?

So, I'm happy for any advice you guys can throw my way, and hopefully in the next weeks I can get some painting done and post up some WIPs. :D

December 28, 2006, 03:13:57 PM
Reply #166

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Quote from: "tehmarken"
So, I have the best girlfriend in the world. For Xmas, she bought an airbrush and compressor from a friend and made me very happy; a Badger Crescendo 175 and some compressor (from looking at it I figured out its 42psi max).

So, next week when break ends and I fly back up to college, I get to spend lots of time learning how to airbrush and make my models look really good.

But, I just have a few questions:

How important is a pressure regulator and/or moisture trap?

What are essentials for a spraybooth, sizewise etc? I'm thinking of just grabbing a plastic storage bin, cutting out a hole in the back and running a vent fan+tube out the window. Do I need to worry about paint collecting on the window screen, should I get a filter?

Lastly, what kind of mask will I need? Are the standard lawn-working ones good enough, or are there some special masks specifically for paint that have extra filtration or something?

So, I'm happy for any advice you guys can throw my way, and hopefully in the next weeks I can get some painting done and post up some WIPs. :D

Moisture trap is going to keep condensation from spurting out of your air-hose and ruining a goot paintjob.

Search around for various booth tips.

Get a good mask from Home Depot/Lowes/etc... one that protects against dust and organic solvents. Look to spend around $30-$40 on one.

December 28, 2006, 08:40:28 PM
Reply #167

accord99

• Information
    • View Profile
Pressure is very important because it could ruins your paint. I usually adjust it from 10-20psi depended on the stuff i'm spraying out of.
The repirator mask i use is a 3m 7000 series(7192, 7193, etc...).
Spraybooth :\, I wanted one but since i'm spraying in the garage with a regular fan blowing the fumes toward the garage doors, there is really no need for one at the moment.

January 04, 2007, 04:15:09 PM
Reply #168

fox_60289

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm trying to do a complete cleaning on my Paasche internal mix dual action airbrush. I can break it down all the way to the packing, but I can't get the packing out? Is it neccesary to remove before soaking it in alcohol? I'm also having difficulties getting the preset wheel ontop removed, any help there?

Thanks

January 07, 2007, 11:34:52 AM
Reply #169

pgstrike

• Information
    • View Profile
hi everyone,

i just bought a airbrush on ebay,a sparmax double action for a nice price.
here are a few questions about airbrushing.
what is a good mixture of paint and thinner to brush with for pre- or post shadding?
i dont want to buy a compressor for the moment,so air bottles do they give a good result like a compressor?
a double action regulates amount of air and paint no?
i never workt with an airbrush before so is it wise to begin on a piece of plastic to get the feeling of it before painting any gundams?

i know i had some more questions but can't remember them now.

thanx for all the answers you guy's give me :wink:

January 07, 2007, 11:48:24 AM
Reply #170

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Quote from: "pgstrike"
i never workt with an airbrush before so is it wise to begin on a piece of plastic to get the feeling of it before painting any gundams?

I'm currently not an airbrusher, so I can only really answer this question based on people I've talked to and research I've done. Yes--practice, practice, practice before you start painting models. In fact, I think I read somewhere that you should practice using water before you even start using paint.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

January 08, 2007, 12:08:11 AM
Reply #171

ikabod

• Information
    • View Profile
can anyone pont me where i could get a cheap in-line moisture trap? somewhere in ca if there is one, so less shipping. . . thanks!

January 08, 2007, 08:59:43 PM
Reply #172

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "zerobxu"
In fact, I think I read somewhere that you should practice using water before you even start using paint.

You could when you use paper towels but water seeps more, but if you use and india ink(its like $2.00 a bottle) and use that with paper towel to practice the basics of air brushing you would do just fine

January 12, 2007, 05:54:58 PM
Reply #173

tehmarken

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "ikabod"
can anyone pont me where i could get a cheap in-line moisture trap? somewhere in ca if there is one, so less shipping. . . thanks!

I found my moisture trap at Lowe's for $15, and a male-male adapter cost me another $2.50 or so.

On another note, can someone explain what kind of tip/nozzle/needle setup is good for which type of painting? For painting large panels, versus shading, versus small parts or doing pieces with lots of crevices.

January 12, 2007, 06:06:34 PM
Reply #174

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I tend to always just use the fine tips. Occasionally I'll switch to large if I'm painting primarily huge parts... like a tank base-coat.

January 16, 2007, 07:37:35 PM
Reply #175

TheZen

• Information
    • View Profile
Anyone have any experiences with the Iwata Revolution CR ? Double action, gravity fed with a 1/3 oz paint cup.

I've been looking on this model for a while but never got to buying it (got busy and school) but now that I got more time.

I would also need a compressor which I'm debating between the smartJet and SprintJet. But I'm wondering does auto on and off on the SmartJet matter that much ?
If not I think I might just get the sprintJet and get a surge protector with a switch as GunDom mentioned wayy back.

Thanks in advance
-Zen

January 18, 2007, 03:12:33 PM
Reply #176

RESmonkey

• Information
  • Banned
    • View Profile
I've never airbrushed, and I can't order online.  I have a Michaels and a Dick Blick art supply, anyone recommend a cheap one for me?

January 18, 2007, 03:44:36 PM
Reply #177

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I swear... this has been asked. Please search and read the forum rules.

January 18, 2007, 06:37:09 PM
Reply #178

mrmaigo

• Information
    • View Profile
First off, I got one of those cheep "powercat" ebay deals, so yes, I know I'll need something better

Here's my problem, I don't know if its the vacuum breaking or what, but here it is. The brush sprays fine for about a second (enough time to make two quick passes) then sprays just air for a moment. Thats just using the cup, using a bottle, its about twice as bad. Oh, weak (but constant) compressor only gives me 15-20 psi when spraying, and it doesn't seem like its just the pressure dropping. Does it for water, paint, thinner...

January 18, 2007, 07:10:39 PM
Reply #179

Identity_Chrisis

• Storm Rider
  • Information
  • A child loved by the wind
    • View Profile
so, after reading through this thread i am getting the vibe that sparmax airbrushes are good, and a better value than iwata or procon boy ab's, or should i just splurge on an iwata?

also, ab's like sparmax dh-102 have a very small cup. do you insert another cup to hold more paint?also, do any gravity-feeds have removable cups ?

currently i'm using a paashe VL siphon feed, but a gravity feed would be nice to have.