Author Topic: 1/8 Seras Victoria  (Read 1560 times)

May 27, 2009, 08:08:18 PM
Read 1560 times

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
It's finally finished. This is my first figure kit and I've been working on it for a long time since I've been trying to learn a lot of techniques, mostly from everything FilmMkr shows on here.

I got this kit from e2046 and it was a decent recast, but the wing part was a pain to clean up. The painting went fairly smoothly, but there were a few mistakes that required me to strip a part and repaint. I tried to emulate the techniques that FichtenFoo used on the lighthouse for my base.

Overall I think it's not too bad for a first figure kit. I've built two gundam kits before this, but I think this is the first kit I'm relatively satisfied with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azukipanda/3572418836/in/set-72157618892404154/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azukipanda/3572419570/in/set-72157618892404154/

More images
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:05:44 AM by crazedpanda »

May 28, 2009, 04:50:13 AM
Reply #1

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
That is really nice work.  That's your first fig?  Really?  Excellent!  :twitch:

May I ask a question?  The finish is just a bit shiny - what kind of sealer are you using?  Usually clothes, skin, and hair in that scale will look pretty flat.  I use three diferent kinds of flat sealer - Krylon Matte for intermediate coats (for example, when I'm building up color and/or shading), Testor's Dullcote (a bit more expensive but convenient and really good for 1/6 scale and larger), and Testor's Flat Lacquer in the bottle (I mix it 50/50 with medium temp lacquer thinner and it dries DEAD flat - perfect for 1/8 scale and smaller).

Keep it going - you'll find all SORTS of interesting subjects to model if you keep expanding your horizons!

Filmy

May 28, 2009, 08:51:46 AM
Reply #2

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot! Coming from a figure master such as yourself is very encouraging. I've actually been working on this kit for a pretty long time and most of the techniques that I used were from you, including shading and building a light rig. I had some difficulties with pinning it together and eliminating some gaps (the one between the right arm and the body was particularly challenging) but I think it's one of those things that will get easier with more practice.

May I ask a question?  The finish is just a bit shiny - what kind of sealer are you using?  Usually clothes, skin, and hair in that scale will look pretty flat.  I use three diferent kinds of flat sealer - Krylon Matte for intermediate coats (for example, when I'm building up color and/or shading), Testor's Dullcote (a bit more expensive but convenient and really good for 1/6 scale and larger), and Testor's Flat Lacquer in the bottle (I mix it 50/50 with medium temp lacquer thinner and it dries DEAD flat - perfect for 1/8 scale and smaller).

I'm using Future Floor acrylic to seal everything. In hindsight I probably should make the clothes flat as well. I did use Future + Tamiya Flat Base for the face to make it not so shiny. This way I could brush on Future for the eyes and lips to make them glossy.

A question about the sealers - why does Testor's Dullcote work better for 1/6 while Testor's Flat Lacquer work better for 1/8 scale? I did notice that you said you used Testor's Dullcote quite a bit in your WIPs but in the interest of not spending too much I just went with stuff that I had which was Future and Tamiya Flat Base.