Author Topic: The Incredible Hulk (commission build) WIP  (Read 3018 times)

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
The Incredible Hulk (commission build) WIP
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:59:54 PM »
I've recently been working on a repair and re-paint of an Incredible Hulk kit for a client.

http://www.ghostofzeon.com/wip/hulk/hulk_repair.html

One arm and one leg were broken off when my client received the kit from another builder and he was after someone local to make the repair for him. So far, I've repaired the damaged limbs, and have almost repainted the entire kit (been working on this for a month or so now).

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome so let me know what you think so far (this is my first attempt at a figure kit so I'm interested on how it looks).

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
Re: The Incredible Hulk (commission build) WIP
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
Your half painted version looks better than the completed, broken thing you started with. Great work so far, the colors are very nice. You said its your first figure but you have had a lot of practice with organic shapes and colors from your dino kits. Don't be modest.

The fella that did the shoddy work and crappy shipping shoulda' been a bit more modest methinks.  :secret police:
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

fredpekker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »
I gotta second what chaos said here. It looks much better now, and is probably a lot more stable with the plaster in the legs. The drybrushed pants look much better than what was there originaly. Can't wait to see what it looks like finished.

About the other guy... he should be paying for you to fix it and give the client his/her money back.

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 02:10:50 AM »
Thanks guys, glad you are liking it so far.

You said its your first figure but you have had a lot of practice with organic shapes and colors from your dino kits. Don't be modest.

Yeah, but it's my first figure kit in the sense of a resin character model and I was unsure how it would turn out.

The original painting was very good when viewed in person though - my pictures don't do it much justice. The guy who did it originally is quite talented.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 06:09:53 AM »
The original painting was very good when viewed in person though - my pictures don't do it much justice. The guy who did it originally is quite talented.

Whew! I didn't want to contradict what everyone else said, but yeah, the original painting looks really nice from what I can tell. Are those painted veins visible through the skin? Great effect! Will have to remember that for Leonardo. Probably just done like a pre-shade and visible from under thin layers of paint.

Your clean-up is looking good so far as is your painting.
Rust is beautiful.

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:47:52 PM »
Update time :

Finished up the face of the Hulk and it is now ready for a wash or two. My client also sent me up the Thor companion piece, which unfortunately suffered the same fate as the Hulk did (the arm broke off). So far, I've repaired it and it is now ready for paint :

http://ghostofzeon.com/wip/hulk/hulk_repair.html#update1

I'm on holidays at the moment (attending a model expo interstate), so I plan on painting the arm and torso next weekend when I get back home.

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:01:07 PM »
New update :

Repaired Thor's arm now, but noticed that there was a crack in the other one. Have repaired that and repainted the skin areas.

http://www.ghostofzeon.com/wip/hulk/hulk_repair.html#update2

Also, my client has sent me the Police Car that mounts in the Hulks hands. Damn it's huge!! I'll be starting on that as soon as I finish up on the figures.

Any thoughts so far?

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »
Nice! The car looks like a nice thing to paint.
Rust is beautiful.

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »
Sure does. It's so freakin' huge! 

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 12:57:45 AM »
Update :

Work has been slow on this build as most of my painting has been done in my garage and it's winter here (which means 0 degrees celcius when I have time to paint). I finally have moved my painting inside after building a custom spray booth and extraction fan setup so the police car is finally starting to look like a police car :

Link: http://www.ghostofzeon.com/wip/hulk/hulk_repair.html#update3

Next up is some more masking, more painting and then it should all be done!