Author Topic: Putty  (Read 2987 times)

April 18, 2009, 03:47:18 AM
Read 2987 times

louis

• Information
    • View Profile
Is Tamiya Epoxy Putty Quick Type/Smooth Surface safe to use on Gundam kits, I mean will it make the plastic "chewy like" if used in large quantities?
MOD EDIT: Sig images removed. Do not repost. Please read image posting rules for this forum.

April 18, 2009, 09:43:36 PM
Reply #1

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
Why would you want to use putty in large quantities? I think it's safer to slowly build up the layers as they dry. Most putties contain lacquer thinner I think so it's a given that too much putty will melt it. I'm not sure if it's lacquer thinner, but that's what I smell whenever I open the tube. :sick:

I have used that putty and it's safe to use on Gunpla. I've just never used large quantities at once like what I think you're wanting.

If you want something that won't melt the kit, I'd recommend Aves Apoxy Sculpt. It has zero shrinkage and is super strong. I also haven't heard of anything getting melted from it. Also most of the 2 part hobby putties won't melt kits. Like the Citadel and Tamiya 2 parts. Citadel is expensive though.

April 19, 2009, 04:49:39 AM
Reply #2

louis

• Information
    • View Profile
I am trying to mod a lower leg part of my kit but I don't know what kind of putty I'm going use, It's very hard to find modelling supplies in the Philippines due to lack of Hobby shops.
MOD EDIT: Sig images removed. Do not repost. Please read image posting rules for this forum.

April 19, 2009, 04:50:29 AM
Reply #3

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
Depending on how much you want to use, try building up / filling in areas using styrene sheeting cut to size first (if you wish to build or bulk up an area). This will limit the amount of putty you will need to use.

Epoxy putty is safe to use in larger quantities (by larger amounts I mean larger amounts than you can use with basic putty) but again, exercise caution.

April 19, 2009, 05:30:13 AM
Reply #4

louis

• Information
    • View Profile
Can I use any industrial epoxy putty for plastics if I can find some or if there's another brand like Tamiya or My. Hobby?

May 09, 2009, 03:15:08 PM
Reply #5

Bawoo

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Animation Scale Models 4U
I use a lot of epoxy putty, and yes, it's totally safe for models since it's not solvent based. 

I'm not a big fan of the Tamiya epoxies, they're sort of rubbery and hard to sand when cured, though pretty nice for sculpting if you like to finish parts before it's cured, and they're very fine grained.  I mostly use Lock-Tite(?) epoxy putty from the hardware store.  It's dark blue with a white center, cures in 5-15 minutes (full cure in a few hours), sands easily, and it's cheap.  Pretty grainy though, so you have to use a heavy primer/surfacer to get it really smooth.
Animation Scale Models 4U 2.0
http://models4you.whoadude.com