Author Topic: MG Sinanju Type Ka  (Read 12168 times)

June 14, 2009, 12:52:32 AM
Reply #40

Sian

• Information
    • View Profile
quick poll:

does the MM brass look good, or is it too pale? I can go over the top of it with some bright yellow gold, or leave it as is.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:07:39 AM by Sian »

June 14, 2009, 11:25:54 PM
Reply #41

CidHighwind

• Information
  • Jumping onto White Base!!
    • View Profile
If the model master brass is either of the bottom samples, then yes, it looks just like polished brass should.

June 15, 2009, 12:28:57 AM
Reply #42

Sian

• Information
    • View Profile
Actually MM Brass is what's on the model now, see previous page. The bottom samples are from my Reaper miniatures paints.Antique gold and polished gold, respectively.

June 15, 2009, 02:12:27 AM
Reply #43

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
nice build and log so far, great to see what you are supposed to do with those big MG boxes.

The weapons are very chunky and that grey'd look you have looks great on them.

Shiny so far, keep it up. Nobody will access the closet with this bad boy on guard!  :lol:

Linc
Please check out my new online Gallery and Progress Reports!

Scale120

June 25, 2009, 03:52:37 AM
Reply #44

Sian

• Information
    • View Profile
Redid the gold, putting reaper gold over the top. I still need to do some touch-ups, and I kinda boneheaded it a bit, but it's a lot better now.

before:

after:

Using the toothpick technique to insert the tube beads, 1mm and 2mm. Here's a 1mm in the heel.

I had to modify this piece, as to install it after filling the seams on the hip pieces, the bottom part had to go. It doesn't hurt a thing.

Just got some touch-ups left to go. The dull red and shiny black really do look nice together!

June 25, 2009, 08:27:36 AM
Reply #45

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Nice job so far! The Model is looking good.  :-)
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

June 25, 2009, 02:14:13 PM
Reply #46

CidHighwind

• Information
  • Jumping onto White Base!!
    • View Profile
Actually MM Brass is what's on the model now, see previous page. The bottom samples are from my Reaper miniatures paints.Antique gold and polished gold, respectively.

Oh, I see.  The new gold looks MUCH better.

June 25, 2009, 08:55:28 PM
Reply #47

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
I agree....the gold looks a lot better now. My only comment is that seeing the gun with the rest of the kit makes it look like the gun was not painted - something about the gray makes it look really similar to the bare gray plastic.

June 25, 2009, 09:11:35 PM
Reply #48

Sian

• Information
    • View Profile
I agree....the gold looks a lot better now. My only comment is that seeing the gun with the rest of the kit makes it look like the gun was not painted - something about the gray makes it look really similar to the bare gray plastic.

Interesting, especially since there isn't any bare plastic on the kit. :D

I think the gun just developed a particular sheen to it with the MM Dk Gray.

I still need to do some touch-ups and make some notes for the full build review. For such a great kit, it had some weird complications.

June 26, 2009, 05:59:25 PM
Reply #49

Sian

• Information
    • View Profile
You ever have a paintjob that turned out too perfect? The more I look, the more I think that crazedpanda is right and that I need to paint some highlights on the gun and bazooka, just to break up the solid slab of greenish-gray into something that looks a little less, well, plastic.

Primary painting is done, but I still need to do a lot of little work on the gun and the gold, and I'm more and more thinking I should seal the wrist trim seams too.

At least the tube beads went on great and look awesome, as well as the short pins for head vulcan cowlings.

June 26, 2009, 06:09:19 PM
Reply #50

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Jeez the sinanju dry transfers are impossible.

I've just finished up the fuel tanks, 14 decals, I've ruined 2 (one of them actually flipped itself over on the film before I could apply it) and there's 123 of them in total.

is there *any* account of anyone actually applying all 123 without incident?

*orders waterslides from hobbywave*

I have been following this and I feel your pain.  I have been using the dry transfers pretty successfuly except for at the bottom of the legs where the curves are real tight. I would say that I am about 70% done with them. I have decals on order but they are out everywhere and I didn't want to wait.  I have messed up a few.  The ones that I messed up I will just use water slides to replace them. 

I am really liking your painting over all.  The slight shading adds a nice touch.  Are you going to do a gloss, semi gloss, or flat finish.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

June 26, 2009, 09:37:55 PM
Reply #51

Sian

• Information
    • View Profile
Jeez the sinanju dry transfers are impossible.

I've just finished up the fuel tanks, 14 decals, I've ruined 2 (one of them actually flipped itself over on the film before I could apply it) and there's 123 of them in total.

is there *any* account of anyone actually applying all 123 without incident?

*orders waterslides from hobbywave*

I have been following this and I feel your pain.  I have been using the dry transfers pretty successfuly except for at the bottom of the legs where the curves are real tight. I would say that I am about 70% done with them. I have decals on order but they are out everywhere and I didn't want to wait.  I have messed up a few.  The ones that I messed up I will just use water slides to replace them. 

I am really liking your painting over all.  The slight shading adds a nice touch.  Are you going to do a gloss, semi gloss, or flat finish.
Thanks!

I should restate, there's 123 decal identification numbers, most decals have 2 or more (up to 6) copies of a single number, and no spares, so really it's more like 300 dry transfer decals. I would guess I spent about 20 hours on decals alone. At least the waterslides gave me extras to spruce up the bazooka with. :D

The white lines with dry transfers are nearly impossible considering the complex curved surfaces (especially on the bottom edge of the leg thruster units) and they were a cinch with the waterslides.  I got mine from Hobbywave obviously, but they seem to be out of stock again. They shipped em fast, too.

The finish is set already, flat red and high-gloss black.  The early pics above don't really show it off. Wait till I get a proper photosession, once I've sorted the gold touch-ups and finishing touches. I really like how the color turned out, the large amount of clear red gives it a certain depth.

June 27, 2009, 01:46:56 AM
Reply #52

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
yep, that large weapon does need some color break up. Doesn't need to be crazy, just shades of grey would do it to add interest to it.

Linc
Please check out my new online Gallery and Progress Reports!

Scale120

July 03, 2009, 06:53:43 PM
Reply #53

Sian

• Information
    • View Profile
I've painted some highlights onto the gun and bazooka to make them look less plastic, and added some more silver details.

Now here's some preview images. Excuse the dust, I didn't brush it off before taking these shots. Here I'm mostly showing off the addon parts. Mechaskunk thrusters, tube beads, model-up verniers, etc. The head vulcans use the socket pins from the model-up foot vernier pins, which worked out really well.

little verniers on the bicep were drilled out and replaced with 1mm tube beads.

Showing off the leg thrusters and bits.

Backpack

Hip thrusters

Some of the inner detail on the wings, and more tube beads, 1mm and 2mm

Rear shot

Ankle. You can kind of see how shiny the black is in contrast here.

I still need to go over the gold once or twice more, it still looks uneven. I'm getting there!

July 31, 2009, 10:37:06 PM
Reply #54

Sian

• Information
    • View Profile
Is finished! Pics in the completed projects gallery tomorrow after a daylight photo session.

August 01, 2009, 08:22:10 PM
Reply #55

Sian

• Information
    • View Profile