Author Topic: Sculpy Tips and Techniques  (Read 3962 times)

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
Sculpy Tips and Techniques
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:10:01 AM »
So I was wondering if any of you had any good sites you use for tips/techniques when using Super Sculpy. (I have the stuff that looks like Human Skin... seriously... it's oddly flesh-tone. At least very similar to my pastey pale German-Irish tone. :lol:)

I am looking for tips on smoothing out fingerprints, texturing, etc... I know some of you use this stuff for various apps. Like Irk for example.

Rust is beautiful.

Joa

• Cats make me smile
    • View Profile
Re: Sculpy Tips and Techniques
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »
1st off: buy some black sculpey III and mix into the SS. The raw SS is a pain to work as you don't see those fingerprints till you've baked it.
2nd: So totally ignore the instructions on the package about baking and follow this recipe instead:

1) Start at 225 (110C) and leave the sculpt for an hour.

2) Raise the temp to 250 (120C) for another hour.

3) Raise the temp again to 275 (135C) for 2- 3 hours or until the Super Sculpey has truned a dark caramel or even as dark as a redish brown brick color.

4) Shut off the oven and leave the sculpt to completely cool down before removing the sculpture.

5) If you are baking a rather thick sculpture use the same method above but raise the temperature slower and in smaller increments.

As for sculpting; just do what you do .. the clay is very responsive.
I basically try and use my fingers for rough work and then detail with dental tools and rubber tipped tools you can find at Michaels or Pearl.
I also use tooth picks, brush handles and what comes to mind in order to achieve various effects. Experiment!
In order to smooth out larger areas you can use seran wrap (while your fingertips actually work quite well on their own).
When you're about done with the sculpt you can use some rubbing alcohol together with a small amount of sculpey diluent (a drop will do) and a soft brush in order to smooth things out. Be sure to have an extra brush at hand in order to suck up residue.

I hope this adds a bit to your knowledge database ;)

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »
Thanks!

Yeah... good idea with the black. I'll pick some up. Baking-wise, I find myself doing it in stages. I build a little, back it at 275 for about 10 minutes, then use that as a base to add more, repeat. I'm using it now for Yoda's Hut in 1/48 and it's worked out well.

Ahh, so there's a solvent for sculpy? Sweet! I use the solvent or water for Aves Apoxie Sculpt (epoxy putty) with great results. I use it on a brush or fingers to smooth things out. Sounds like the Sculpy stuff is more corrosive though to the sculpy than the "Safety Solvent" is.

Looks like another trip to Michaels is in store. Still need to sculpt Yoda and Luke. Was gonna use Apoxie Sculpt, but maybe I'll try SS instead.

I was looking at this site yesterday and he complained about the fingerprint problem too. Some neat sculpts:
http://purpledodo.blogspot.com/2008/05/super-sculpey-vs-sculpey-firm.html
Rust is beautiful.

BROCKUPPERCUT

• New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 09:15:34 AM »
just a quick question . for anyone to answer .  will super sculpey ever air dry? . i just modified some crappy hard plastic monogram infantry soldiers  and i dont want to melt them in the oven .

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:38:03 AM »
nope... oven bake only. It'll "dry out" but that can take years and is still not "cured".
Rust is beautiful.

BROCKUPPERCUT

• New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »
crap .... :angry: thanks for the info . back to the drawing board . , they look cool too.... so aves apoxy over plastic ?

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »
yup!
Rust is beautiful.

BROCKUPPERCUT

• New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »
thanks again . ill post some pictures when  i finish.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:13:51 PM by BROCKUPPERCUT »

BM2

• John Fields
  • "Sometimes you just have to be stupid"Joe Strummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »
Cute sculpted in boiling water...no chance of a burn
The dude abides!