Author Topic: Cutting and sanding metal parts  (Read 3464 times)

GlauG

• Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • View Profile
Cutting and sanding metal parts
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:47:24 PM »
A search for "sanding aluminium" didn't bring up much of use, so I ask this of the forum;  How does one sand aluminium parts after sawing?  What do you use, metal files, sandpaper, sanding stones etc?  I've just cut some aluminium pipe for something, but while I had a bit of a go at it with a metal sander, the finish is still kind of rough.  Any suggestions?

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Re: Cutting and sanding metal parts
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »
You'll want to do a progressive sanding - first use a file to remove the burrs, then move onto the sand paper to smooth out the course marks left by the files.

Do not use any type of sanding stone with aluminum - the stones are more intended for use with ferrous metals, and aluminum tends to just melt and get stuck in the stone.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 05:11:15 PM »
Also, what kind of aluminum parts? Tube? Sheet? Machined? For tubes I put them in my drill and use a file for the edge, a triangular router bit for the inside edge, then fine steel wool all over.

Sheets, dremmel, metal files, sandpaper, etc...
Rust is beautiful.

GlauG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 03:49:26 AM »
Like I said in the OP, specifically it's an aluminium pipe. :)  A small one, I've cut it at a diagonal angle for use as barrels for some weapons. 

I rubbed all the burrs off with a wooden cocktail stick, then had a go with a metal nail file I've got, and it's okay but not perfect.  Unfortunately my drill's in storage right now, but I'll try and progressive sand some of the sharp outside edges with some wet-and-dry.  Thanks for the advice. :)

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:04:57 AM »
I would have thought an old Warhammer 40K guy might have a set of mini files for the metal figures.  :P I got a set of 8 files for $16 US in all kinds of shapes: round, oval, triangular, square, flat, etc. If there are any stores that cater to wargames in Japan check there.

Try wrapping some of that sandpaper around the cocktail stick you used for sanding the interior
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

GlauG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:41:45 AM »
I've got metal files, but they tended to leave my old lead and white metal minis looking a bit rough. ;)  I'm looking for a smoother surface here.  I'm also back in the UK, which is a mixed blessing for hobby stuff...  I'll have a go at it later tonight/tomorrow and post progress pics. :D

igor57

• New Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 12:00:32 AM »
Find a Jewellers suppliers and check out their smooth cut files.    The jewellery ones are much finer then your average ones.   Pick a flat wide tapered one with a square file edge on one side and a rounded file edge on the other. Actual file (ignoring the tang) of about 150mm.  More versatile.   

A small trick with Aluminium is to use a droplet of oil (automotive is fine) or kerosene on the file.   Yeah I know that it's a pain subsequently for pre-paint clean-up but for aluminium is aids the cut hugely.   Then wet and dry paper probably starting at 240 grit and then 320, finishing with 400.     

The alternative is a scotchbrite wheel on a bench grinder/polisher, this works a real treat.   

As Fulcy says the stones and aluminium can be a pain but diamond burrs make a lovely job on aluminium particularly if you want a textured surface.     

Quick point, if you ever want to use aluminium round for pins, mounts, locators etc check out you local welding suppliers.  Huge amount cheaper then buying through a model shop.  Feeder rods for Tig welding is what to ask for.   Comes in 1.2, 2.4. 3.2, and 4mm ........

Have fun!