Author Topic: to cut the pegs or just do hardcore masking?  (Read 3251 times)

aibuster

• New Poster
    • View Profile
to cut the pegs or just do hardcore masking?
« on: September 15, 2005, 11:20:07 AM »
hello. this is my first time posting a thread here and i just joined a few days ago. after reading fichtenfoo's tutorials on building and irbrushing model kits i got interested so im testing it on a 1/144 HG Strike Rouge + I.W.S.P. and encountered my first problem on the body part.

i am trying to recolor the strike exactly like the original one posted on the back of the model kit manual

now the problem is. from the 1st image, it was the body part. should i cut the pegs from the right part like how ppl slide in heads of gundams/gms or should i just put em up together and make some tough masking using any means possible? cause im not sure which one is better... thanks!

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 11:38:37 AM »
I'd cut the pegs and see if you can slide it in. No sense masking if you don't have to.
Rust is beautiful.

Cray

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 04:44:28 PM »
I 2nd that. I try to cut the pegs rather than mask whenever I can.

And if you're afraid the lower torso slips out whenever you lift the model to transport it, which invariably it will as there's nothing holding it in place now, use white glue to fasten it in place. It dries clear and doesn't damage paint.

Skillful Abbot

• View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 07:50:25 PM »
I'm no expert, but I wouldnt cut the pegs. I would cut the female sections the pegs slide into. Basically a C-Groove (NOT capcom vs snk) into it that the lower peice can then 'snap' in.  

I can't really say what I'm trying describe.  Or describe what I'm trying to say.  I used this technique for the first time on my eva and it went well.  I saw it on a 'Building Sword Calamity' DVD I picked up last year.

Try to imagince a hollow tube and you cut out a triange like shape from it.  set the pieces together to get the size and mark with a black marker trim out the black.   I'm at work now, but I'll try to find a picture.

gamerabaenre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 11:23:25 PM »
I know what you are trying to say... for instance if the circular part looks like this (cross-section) |O| you cut it such that it looks like this |U| Where you have a place to slide in your male section.  This way, you don't lose the precision of where these two pieces stop.  But since this is the face piece we are discussing, it doesn't matter, because there are other parts in the head that will stop the face piece from being misaligned.  This method is more for joints or moving parts that would make things easier to paint if they were cut in such a manner.

Skillful Abbot

• View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 01:39:28 AM »
gamerabaenre:
Yes, thanks for clearing that up for me.  I was typing between classes at work.  When I stumbled across that thread.

Asmodeous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 08:34:36 AM »
What about this..  Cut the pegs and inset a PC in the center of the lower torso. then match that pc up with a rod comeing from the top section.  All you want basicly is for the parts to be together without falling apart right?  Or use a ball and socket instead to add in some minor mobility. Here is what I am saying  Hope you understand.  Useing this method should allow for easy access and painting.[/img]