Author Topic: How to sharpen thruster bells  (Read 2445 times)

September 11, 2008, 07:02:31 PM
Read 2445 times

shenphong

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I've searched but have been unable to find anything about sharpening thruster bells.  I've seen pictures of it done on Japanese sites and I recall hearing a few members here mention it long ago (I've been a long time lurker).  Hoping someone can help and give me some tips.  I'm not a big fan metal thrusters so hoping I can just shape mine up a bit to give them a nice sharp look.

September 11, 2008, 07:43:24 PM
Reply #1

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
I'm not sure where these pictures came from (to much to keep track of) so if I jacked somebody's post just let me know and I'll post a link. What was done here was the bells were drilled through the center and brass rod was cut and glued in. Using a drill or rotary tool (held tightly in place) to turn the bells and shape with a sharp chissle or sanding stick.

My suggestion is test it out on some extra parts first and try to get that rod perfectly centered. Even and slow pressure to shape them.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

September 11, 2008, 09:20:09 PM
Reply #2

shenphong

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply, and THANK YOU for the pictures.  Those are actually the exact pictures I recall seeing that I just can't find anymore.  I'll have to try that technique and see how it works.  If anyone else has any points, please feel free to bring them up.  I must have a dozen or so thrusters I can practice this on before I really start digging into my kits.