Author Topic: 10 Year Old Distraction  (Read 3021 times)

August 25, 2008, 07:21:52 PM
Read 3021 times

SSickboy

• Information
    • View Profile
I started this kit ten years ago and it has now come back from the dead.  Before its current state it was covered with ten layers of Testors enamel.  I had no urge to fill seams or take care of the little things back then. For some reason I kept the kit. Here are a couple of teaser shots, more to come.

August 25, 2008, 07:52:04 PM
Reply #1

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Wow, 10 years in limbo.  So there might be hope still for some of my WIP.  :lol:

One of the classic designs, are you going to keep it transformable or simply pick one of the modes?  Any plan for upgrading/modifying any of the parts?  I think these are re-released recently. 

August 26, 2008, 09:33:36 AM
Reply #2

SSickboy

• Information
    • View Profile
The plan is to keep it transformable manly because I attempted building this kit 3 times in my youth. All 3 earlier attempts ended up in a disaster that I can only describe as the Testors glue ball. So am trying to get this one right. I am modifying many parts mainly because the part fit is awful and they lack detail. I will post some pics of the mods that I have done so far. The plans to start with are to add detail to the huge hole in the back of the main body. Work over the feet extensively and fix the wing proportion to a degree. I believe that this kit was re-issued by Aoshima earlier this year.

August 28, 2008, 08:05:19 PM
Reply #3

SSickboy

• Information
    • View Profile
Here are some progress shots of what I have done so far.

Here is a shot of all the parts and what they orginaly looked like.

Here is the front part of the foot.

Here is the rear part of the foot this is that part that has receved the most work.

Here for lack of a better term is the knee simple but looks better than the orginal.

Here is the leg this kit has retractable landing gear. I chose to close them for a cleaner build.

Here is the nose the front part that joined with the canopy was too low so I added some plastic and leveled it with putty.

Here is a shot of the thruster I cut the back out and added some textured plastic.

September 04, 2008, 06:19:14 PM
Reply #4

SSickboy

• Information
    • View Profile
Here is a little update. I started to mock up the "new wings" for the alpha. Let me know what you think.

September 04, 2008, 10:51:39 PM
Reply #5

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Much better, looks like real wings instead of cropped ones.

September 09, 2008, 07:01:03 AM
Reply #6

Maschinen Krueger

• Information
  • Ma.K Off!
    • View Profile
    • Krueger's Krieger
That is such a cool design. Kudos to you for keeping with it after 10 years. I really like the mods you have added. Simple but very effective. Wings look much better.
I wonder about the guy that can sit through a David Lynch movie and say, "I saw that coming."

Krueger's Krieger

November 06, 2008, 06:54:02 PM
Reply #7

spiffitz

• Information
  • I break stuff
    • View Profile
I really like seeing these kits built since they aren't something you see often. I wish I still had mine, the one sold through Monogram and were claimed to be part of the Gobots series for some reason. Mine broke from too many transformations and ended up being firecracker fodder. I still have a half built "Cy-kill" that's actually the Mospeada cycle armor.
Ron

November 13, 2008, 11:42:52 AM
Reply #8

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
I have this kit, but haven't worked up the courage to tackle it. Kudos to you for building it and making it right. I bought Aoshima the Legioss instead, a rare case where I'd rather buy the toy than build the kit. However, the Aoshima Legioss (a "fix" of the Toynami version) is pretty lousy. The Mega House Mospeada cycle is pretty good, though, I like it.

Good luck with htis kit, the progress looks great so far!
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

March 08, 2009, 06:08:11 PM
Reply #9

TehModeler

• Information
    • View Profile
Great job so far :D I love the wings! I was wondering if someone could tell me the name of this kit and what is the series called? Is this what the kit looks like: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10051953
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:32:39 PM by TehModeler »

March 09, 2009, 07:13:43 AM
Reply #10

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
You are right about the kit, its the Legioss from Mospeda.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

March 09, 2009, 04:48:44 PM
Reply #11

TehModeler

• Information
    • View Profile
Aight thanks for the info. I have another question for ssickboy, how is the mobility and the transformation process? Is it loose?

March 16, 2009, 11:25:36 AM
Reply #12

SSickboy

• Information
    • View Profile
The poly joints are tight on everything but the arms and hips. The legs in fighter mode tend to fall. The arms tend to stay locked when collapsed but when extended the are loose. The kit is old and is by no means on par with the current Gundam kits. It will take a lot of work to make this kit look good.