Author Topic: Drilling bigger holes  (Read 2110 times)

lavavajillas

• View Profile
Drilling bigger holes
« on: May 15, 2008, 03:42:47 AM »
What is the recommended way/tool to make holes bigger than the biggest size drill bit hobby pin vises generally support (3mm, 1/8")?
I mean diameters in a 4-6 mm range.

I've tried filing out a 3 mm hole manually, but the results weren't as clean as I hoped for.
There are some bigger capacity pin vises available online, but I'm not sure they are the best thing for this kind of job (and I don't especially look forward to searching for one in physical shops or ordering a single item from a jewelery tools web or something).

deathworld_Dragon

• Mr. Hobby Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Bakuc profile and gallery
Re: Drilling bigger holes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 03:57:11 AM »
 I've come across this in my work before (but never tried it in my hobby?) get your self a hand crank drill at your hard wear store http://www.mos.org/sln/Leonardo/drill.gif and standard drill pieces be it 4,5.5 or even 6mm (really want ever you want). Because this is much larger than a pin vice you will need to clamp down the piece your working on...

I’m normally happy to use an electric drill :twitch:...
"It looks like a Gundam..."
    "Only real men pilots Zakus..."

GlauG

• Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 05:33:42 AM »
I have a set of drill bits designed to be used with an electric screwdriver/drill I picked up at a Japanese 100-Yen store, they have 6mm hex bits on the ends and go as large as 5.mm in the set I have, I think larger may be available.  I then bought a slim plastic screwdriver which is designed for interchangeable 6mm heads. :)  Japanese store-brand unfortunately, but might be worth checking out a Dollar/Pound store etc etc.  The actual drill bits you might need to go somewhere more hardware-y for.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 06:09:09 AM »
Larger holes aren't too bad if you take it slowly. I use a larger diameter pin-vice. Start small though. Do a pin-hole, then widen it with a 1mm, then a 2mm then a 3mm then so on. Turn slowly as the hole gets bigger so that the drill-bit is scraping the hole, not tearing it.

I also use my dremel and a pointy router-bit sometimes.
Rust is beautiful.

nico

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
I also use my dremel and a pointy router-bit sometimes.
When you want to drill big holes it depends in what you want to drill. For plastic I do it with a mecanic tool. But for resin I use my dremel.
As Foo says do a 1 mm or less first to point the right position then go with bigger diameters.