Author Topic: Mix and Match Ex-S Conversion kits  (Read 4628 times)

February 26, 2008, 03:08:13 PM
Read 4628 times

Captain Obvious

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I recently picked up a pretty cheap MG Ex-S, so I thought I'd add on a conversion kit.  The problem is there's two that I like.  The CW ver.2 kit, and the Neograde kit both have parts I like, so I was toying with the idea of getting both, then selling off whatever I don't use or can't recast.  The Neograde is nice because it's unique, and is easier to build for someone new to resin kits.  The CW one is truer to the original, and has a bit more flow to the design (and I can get it for cheaper).

Basically I'm torn, so I thought I'd see what people here thought.  If you could mix and match these two conversion kits, what parts of each would you keep, or would you stick with just one kit?  Here are some pics of the parts I'm torn on...

More...

http://www.neograde.com/shop/step1.php?number=579

http://plamo.outthere.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=865

I know I prefer the CW head but the rest I could go either way on.  I like the shoulders, gun, and removable chest pieces of the Neograde, but I can't seem to decide if they're overkill or not.  So what would you guys do if you could build any combination of the two?
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
-Kurt Vonnegut

February 26, 2008, 07:30:09 PM
Reply #1

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
Well I pre-ordered the Ver. Patchwork from HF a few weeks ago so I'm a little biased. :lol: I think its more original than the other overpriced converions. I'm planning other mods to fit the style making my Ex-S a prototype without the large feul tanks sacking the "Vairable MS" for a more militaristic roughed up look. Personally I like the patchwork head its quirky and the gun is beefy, the wings are longer and the chest, knees, shins...  :beatdown:  The CW is just too plain. Kinda like every other Ex-S you see.

The only bad pieces on the Ver. Patchwork are the goofy lookin' exhaust nozzles.  :sick: :yucky:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:53:50 PM by chaos_theory »
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

February 27, 2008, 05:13:43 PM
Reply #2

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Sorry, Chaos, I'm gonna go totally the opposite... I'm not much of a fan of the Neograde conversions. They're VERY busy to me. To me, if you want to spend that much and make something that busy, you might buy a PG RX-178 or GP01 and build it as an armor-off "in for maintenance" display.

The only Neograde parts I like are the shoulders. They're way too big, but I like that with the internals exposed, they make some sense of the sliding shoulder armor gimmick.

There's my two cents. Please buy me something, rich man!  :lol:
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

February 28, 2008, 06:12:44 PM
Reply #3

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Please buy me something, rich man!  :lol:

Not rich, just a late christmas present.

February 29, 2008, 11:25:00 AM
Reply #4

Captain Obvious

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
I also pre-ordered the Neograde conversion awhile ago, and then came upon a pretty cheap CW recast that looks pretty good, which is why I'm torn.  So now I'm thinking of using the chest, head, arms, thruster bells, and back cannons of the CW kit, and the shoulders, legs, rifle, and wings of the Neograde kit.  What do you guys think, best of both worlds, or messy hodge=podge?
-Kurt Vonnegut

February 29, 2008, 12:53:17 PM
Reply #5

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Why not, its your Ex-S. Make how you want it to look. Use whatever parts look best for you cause its gonna sit on your shelf.

And hey if you wanna recoup some of the cost maybe we can trade extras. Except for those exhaust bells :yucky:

February 29, 2008, 02:37:07 PM
Reply #6

Captain Obvious

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Sounds good.  And I'm only asking for opinions because I just can't make up my mind.  I really like both, but my wife would quickly make me a bachelor if I tried to build both, so I need to make up my mind (or have other people make up my mind for me  ;) ).  I just know this is going to come down to a game of rock-paper-scissors when it comes time to build.  :(
-Kurt Vonnegut

March 01, 2008, 02:15:55 AM
Reply #7

Deus EpS Machina

• Information
    • View Profile
I have the Core-works set, made it, loved it. But thats because i love that particular design of Katoki's (well, an edit of his edit of his original Ex-S) with the segmented shoulders and elongated feet, etc. But to be honest, the CW set isnt something thats hard to do from scratch as the main changes are the feet and the shoulders...for example, the parts for the shoulders in the MG are made in a way that it is easy to duplicate that style (especially on the outer armour plates).

Ignoring that i dispise the ver. Patchwork in every way, I say skip the CW set and go for just the PW as the CW set is mainly comprised of parts that fix up the proprtions of the MG to make them look more iconic and make the dsign flow better. If you bought both and stuck or mix/matched the CW and PW, i think the PW would easily overshadow the CW and you will have wasted the CW for the most part.

But i will say this for the PW, i may dislike what its done to the Ex-S as a design, but i love the craftsmanship put into the conversion set; incredible detail, especially in the shoulders and on the gun.

bigger, original images of the PW, btw: http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?main=plamodel&table=img_pm&page=&num=43028&find=&ftext=&left=

March 01, 2008, 07:56:14 AM
Reply #8

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Thanks for the Link Deus. I hope that my EX will change your mind about the patchwork. :lol:

March 02, 2008, 02:29:46 PM
Reply #9

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
I think you should buy both and recast them then sell them to us!!!!! :D :razz:

March 03, 2008, 05:23:25 PM
Reply #10

Captain Obvious

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
I think you should buy both and recast them then sell them to us!!!!! :D :razz:

Sure, I just need to find a way to recast parts that doesn't take me 3 days per part  :yucky:

And I guess I'll just have to try different test combinations of the kits, to see what looks best.  I love the original design, but I think it's time I built something at least a little bit unique.
-Kurt Vonnegut