Author Topic: looking for workable plastic to make lightning  (Read 5167 times)

heavyarmscustom

• View Profile
looking for workable plastic to make lightning
« on: August 15, 2005, 01:35:10 PM »
hey guys
I was hopping with all the great minds here that some one could point me in the right direction

I'm looking for a plastic that I can make into lightning/enegy arcs

the stuf I'm looking for is the same stuff that the STAR WARS figures have that simulate energy arks across droids.

I'm in the process of making a the God Gundam dio and want arks that run all over the arms and legs and run to the ground

but I have had no luck  trying to find the type of plastic or if I can sculpt or mold the peices.

sorry if this is a bit vague, I'm typing this as I have one foot out the door to work
clifton
Heavyarms custom would be an unstopable killing machine if the damn thing never ran out of bullets!!!!!

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 03:34:27 PM »
I get what you're asking for and it sounds cool. Here's what I'd do...

1: Cut the rough shape of the ark from clear flat styrene. You can get this at your LHS (local hobby shop).

2: Get some Liquitex Clear Acrylic Gel Medium from an art store like Michaels. This is what some of us use for water.

3: Brush the gel onto the cut-outs and make streaks and points to simulate the bursts and arcs.

4: Let dry till clear. It goes on white.

5: Airbrush with Tamiya Clear colors (whatever color you want) mixed with Tamiya Clear to make it less deep of a color.

6: Let dry and cure.

7: Drybrush with white to make the brighter highlights.

I've never tried this, but that should do it. This can also work for beam sabers, axes, lightsabers, etc....
Rust is beautiful.

Asmodeous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 05:26:40 PM »
Should you worry about the gel medium sticking to certain things?  Meaning should he lay down a sheet of wax paper or tinfoil first to keep it from adhereing to his cutting board or whatever else he may be thinking of using. Curious because I had the same idea but never followed through because I couldn't think of a way to do it.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 07:17:46 PM »
Yeah, but he sould have the part attached to something like a skewer first so as not to get the gel everywhere. I just thought that was common sense. :lol:
Rust is beautiful.

heavyarmscustom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 07:50:02 PM »
Thanks A lot Foo!!!!
That was the best advive I have ever got.
now to make it a reality

I also forgot to mention I'm going to paint the G-Gundam in darker colores (I was thinking Poly-chromatic purple to green and air brush or hand paint circuitry paterns on the armor and place Blacklight LED in hidden places to shine on the model to make the lightning and circuitry glow in normal light

I'll post pics when I get it going
thanks again
clifton
Heavyarms custom would be an unstopable killing machine if the damn thing never ran out of bullets!!!!!

heavyarmscustom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 05:40:58 PM »
hello
well I'm back with one more small question
first off the gell medium will work but the act of carving the plastic and placing the gel med is a pain  
but hard work is it's own reward

now the question

would woodland senics realistic  water or EZ water  work as a semi workable/flexable medium to try on the energy arcs.

thank
clifton

Skillful Abbot

• View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 04:58:48 AM »
Hey Heavy Arms,

How's this project going?  I'm very curious to see how it all turns out.

-P

heavyarmscustom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 12:30:40 PM »
I've been experimenting with different mediums. I like the gel med as a base for exploding energy and the water effects as a ropy energy look but I need some thing that will make the med to thin arks and that will hold their weight
I tried the carving of the styrene but i'm more of a 3D modeler and like to sculpt as I do along. I'm thinking of getting clear  small acrylic rods from plasctruct and using them as the base and then adding the medium to it. I found the new paint at our local JO ANN Fabrics I'm going to try to put it through an air brush but the name brand escapes me but the name of the paint is Halo blue green, I my use that as the all around paint then the spray can purple to  green.

I have to get the G-gundam back together but that will be easy and if not I'll get another the base will be the hard part and I've been looking for the palm trees big enough to hide a LED but small enough to look scale

other then that I've got kind of taken a break as I just got through a local model competition and won 1st, 2nd and 3rd in my group and best over all in Sci fi class
hellish to say the least

if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears as this may turn out to be a little  to much for me

clifton

heavyarmscustom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 09:31:11 AM »
hello I'm back
here are the completed test on an electrical arc
I have to thank Foo yet again for suggesting the Gel meddium it's incredable.
I had a hard time figuring out how to strengthen the gel to stand it up
I used some plastruct fiber optic and splapped the gel on it
took a while but I got it the way I liked it  hope you do to

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/heavy_arms_custom/light4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/heavy_arms_custom/light3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/heavy_arms_custom/light2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/heavy_arms_custom/light1.jpg

Ezechiel

• FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 09:38:56 AM »
It's hard to judge only on a picture but the spiky parts look great.
(>:3) JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION GET IN THE CAR!

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 09:45:58 AM »
Looks great. Now it just needs sprayed with clear colors and drybrushed with white.
Rust is beautiful.

Whale Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 03:28:22 PM »
Wow that's awesome.  I can see other uses for the way these things form besides little energy beams :lol: