Author Topic: Broken waist ball joint on a 1/60 freedom  (Read 2121 times)

Jackal

• View Profile
Broken waist ball joint on a 1/60 freedom
« on: December 15, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »
Hi,
This is my first post and I had a question about my broken waist balljoint on my 1/60 Freedom Gundam
Is there a good way to fix this?
Because theres a lot of weight on it because of the wings and stuff.
I hope you get what I mean.
I'll post photo's when I  get my phone cable.

Thank you,

Arjo
P.s I hope that this isn't the wrong place to ask

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Re: Broken waist ball joint on a 1/60 freedom
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:15:48 PM »
I agree that with the added weight, just glue would not be enough. Without a picture I can't be sure of how it's broken, but as I imagine a broken ball joint (looking at Dalong.net it's not a ball joint, soooo...???), here's my idea:

I would take the pieces apart (front and back, the way they came before being put togther) and then fill them with something like epoxy or an epoxy putty and sqeeze them back together (be sure to remove escess glue where it broke, so you can put it back together). Then you should have two solid pieces, one above the break, and one below the break. Then I would drill them out so I could insert some strong rod down the middle. I would then scuff up the rod (scuff up the plastic, too, epoxy doesn't stick well to every kind of plastic, especially the more rubbery kinds), and glue the broken top and bottom pieces together (using epoxy) with the rod running through them. This will leave you with the original plastic shape on the outside, and a strong rod on the inside.

An alternative that may be easier would be to hollow out the plastic pieces so a rod will fit inside, and glue the broken pieces and rod all together at once. Since I don't have the kit and I don't know how it's broken, I can't say for sure what the best way would be. I hope it gives you some ideas, at least.  :-)

"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

Jackal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »
Thank u
I tried glue and now its just  screwed up and broke at te same line
And i'm not experienced with putty,not even to modelling but i wil ask at my hobby shop if the have that kinda stuff
Don't know if the have that in Holland ???
And its a ball joint
http://dalong.net/review/seed/s60_3/p/s60_3_j_body.jpg ( no rules broken i hope)

bottom right you see the two halves and the two halves form a ball and at the thin part atached to the waist unit it  broke.
Again thanks for the help=]

Arjo

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 05:36:08 PM »
Okay, so it's the hip joint. To me the waist joint joins the chest to the pelvis. I have a better idea what broke now.

First off, DON'T use putty meant for filling gaps in plastic models. It's not nearly strong enough for what you want. I meant a two-part epoxy-based putty like Magic Sculp (http://www.magicsculp.com/) or some people use Bondo, I think (http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_brand.asp?hdrBrand=1). Both may be hard to come by in Holland, at least under any name I'm used to in the USA.

What I think you could easily find and what should work well, especially on a smaller parts is regular 5-minute epoxy glue. It's a common glue used by people who build radio controlled airplanes. Having been into R/C planes for years, I know that it's a big hobby in Europe and I would think any hobby store should have it. Just mix the two parts equally and put the mixture where you want it . Hold it in place a few minutes and it's pretty strong (its main use in R/C planes is to hold wing halves together, this is where the greatest stress on the airplane is place when doing aerobatics). But like I said, a rod running through it will make it work a lot better. As strong as epoxy is. it doesn't stick to plastic really well (which is why you should also scuff the plastic with sandpaper), so the rod will help make the joint strong.

A final suggestion would be to consider a stand for your model so that the hip joint just has to hold the weight of one leg, and not half the weight of the entire model. Good luck! :-)
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010