Author Topic: Unclogging a marker tip  (Read 2526 times)

November 30, 2007, 05:08:37 PM
Read 2526 times

Manji

• Information
    • View Profile
So i bought some Itoya Finepoint systems .1 markers to do the panel lines and I like them because they are much finer than sharpies, but they clogged rather easily. Has anybody has this problem and is there some way to unclog the marker.

November 30, 2007, 05:40:34 PM
Reply #1

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
I have a different kind of technical ink pen, so I'm not sure if this will help... The brand I bought (Koh-i-Noor Rapidograph) sells a cleaning kit with an air bulb that you can use to either suck or blow clogs out of the tip. You could also try to blow it out yourself (assuming your ink is non-toxic!!!), although this may give you a headache (from blowing really hard through a teeny tiny hole) and black lips. Soaking the tip in a solvent that is meant for your ink would probably help (the cleaning kit also includes cleaning solution, but for a serious clog I might soak in 409).

The best solution I've found to clogged tips is prevention. Just as I filter my paint through a piece of pantyhose to remove clumps that would clog the needle, I've learned to do the same with my ink, especially if it has white mixed in. White is especially clumpy. Saves me a LOT of clogs.

Hope this helps!   ;)
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

November 30, 2007, 05:55:23 PM
Reply #2

Manji

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks . I will see if these tricks get rid of the clogs.
Umm . I was just wodering how do you screen your  paint with a panty hose ? This way I can avoid clogging my markers . Do you paint it then use the panty hose to get rid of the clumps?

December 01, 2007, 05:27:10 AM
Reply #3

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
I mix my paint up (or ink) and then right before I use it, I get another container, place a piece of pantyhose over the top, and pour the paint or ink through it. Then you've got filtered paint or ink in your new container ready to load in your airbrush or pen.
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

December 04, 2007, 12:40:09 PM
Reply #4

Manji

• Information
    • View Profile

February 08, 2008, 10:46:18 PM
Reply #5

oteebzo

• Information
    • View Profile
Ink should not prove a problem with cloges , but if it does use 409 cleaning spray because it works great on cleaning clogged pens, just them soak in it and your good