September 19, 2014, 08:52:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length
News: New Spambot Filters
New spambot controls have been implemented. I've deleted over 100 spambot accounts this evening. If your account was deleted, please resign up. If you cannot sign-up, please let us know.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest Rules, Info, and Questions  (Read 2927 times)
FichtenFoo
Model On!
Administrator

16 bits of fun

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:30:39 PM »

Advance of Zeta Contest

Since our AoZ Unlimited Group Build was so much fun we decided to make it our next FFF contest. There's a lot of new AoZ designs and still a lot of room to do some amazing work based on this series.

We decided to do something a little different with judging this time. Judging will be "Open Judging" (see below) meaning that all kits are eligible for a gold, silver or bronze based on their own personal level of work. So basically you're mainly competing against yourself. Then a few special awards will be given including, but not limited to, those below.

Eligibility
    All OOB AoZ releases (resin or IP) are eligible. Any Gundam series kit is eligible if redone in the AoZ style. This doesn't just mean you should slap a TTT scheme on a kit and expect to do well. Make your kit feel as if it belongs. Check out the various mecha in the AoZ time line and modify your kit to fit that style. We like to focus on quality here at FFF so really push yourself to do well. Try your hand at a back-story as well to show how it fits. For example... plain old Zaku: boring. Zaku [Stutzer] or Zaku modified in the style that you see in any of the official AoZ art: exciting! Use your skills and imagination and most of all, have fun!

Kits that are already completed are not eligible, but kits that are currently in-progress are. You must create an in-progress thread and show pics and describe what you're doing.

How to Enter
    Simply start a new in-progress thread in this AoZ Contest forum and you're entered. A separate forum will be created later for posting the completed images. Remember, you must have an in-progress thread to be eligible.

Special Awards

• Best in AoZ Design Style
    • Best TTT
    • Best Zeon Remnant
    • Best AEUG
    • Best Axis
    • Best OOB (IP or resin)
    • Best Scratchbuild or Modification based on official artwork (damn rivetcounter award)
    • Best Cross Dresser (Zeta in TTT Scheme for example)
    • Best New Weapon Design (has to fit with the overall AoZ design style/philosophy of course)
    • Best Continuity Hack (similar to believable MS like the Hazel Messala... modify a suit and call it a forefather to _______)
    • Best From FFF Staff (Since we're never eligible for the real contests, we'll have one amongst ourselves and you guys can judge!)

Deadline:
    So that everyone has a chance to finish up what they're doing now and still be able to modify the crap out of some kits we're going to have a very extended deadline for this contest. The Deadline is August 1, 2008 so that gives you guys 10 months to do something cool and maybe to enter it into BAKUC 2008!

Prizes
    No clue yet. We'll let you know if we can get some sponsors to help out.

Open Judging Information:
    Here is some info that the Three Rivers IPMS released to explain open judging:
    If you have been to one of our recent shows, you probably noticed we do judging and awards a little differently than many other chapters. A few years back we tried an OPEN JUDGING system similar to that adopted by other armor, figure, and sci -fi shows. We feel that this type of system focuses on how well each model is executed- not how it compares to other like models entered in “traditional”categories. Actually, we consider our system somewhat of a hybrid combining qualities of both open and traditional judging. We want our show to be an exhibition of excellence in modeling as well as a contest.
    Call it Modified Open Judging – Pittsburgh Style.

Under our system models receive Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals rather than the traditional
    1st, 2nd, and 3rd, place award plaques. The difference, however, is much more significant than the names of the award. Under the open system there are no limits placed on how many awards may be given at any level. If there are five exceptionally well done 1/48th single engine fighters on the table, all five may receive gold medals. If a flawless out-of- the-box (OOB) Sherman is facing off against an equally well done, super detailed, Tiger, both may receive a gold medal.

This does not mean that we give medals away. Quite the contrary. Modelers must still build to a high level to earn an award. Our long term analysis of the number of awards presented during our previous “traditional contests”, and our more recent “open shows,” indicates roughly the same percentage of models receive an award under both systems. The difference is that we feel the awards are more fairly distributed. Modeling excellence is recognized, not the luck of entering a “soft category.”  Also, since there are no specific traditional categories, our system does not have to contend with category splits, sweeps considerations, or separation of OOB, conversions, vacuforms, or scratchbuilts. Models are recognized based on their own merits. We think this is about as fair as a contest can be.

Models are arranged in large groupings of similar types (Aircraft, Military Vehicles, Automotive, Figures, Ships, Sci-Fi/Real Space, Dioramas, Railroad, Miscellaneous, and Juniors). Within each major group a few smaller groupings are created based upon scale, or subject matter, so that similar models are placed together. This is simply for ease of viewing and judging.

So how exactly do the judges decide what models are deserving of a Gold, Silver, or Bronze award? The system is pretty simple and similar to other Open Judging systems. A team of three judges look at every model and discuss its good and bad qualities. Then each judge privately writes down on a score sheet the award they think the model should receive- Gold, Silver, Bronze, or no award. When the team finishes judging, they turn their score sheets into a record-keeper that “averages” the three scores to determine the award level. Judging may be conducted through out the show, but is usually done in several “passes” to ensure that models are not missed. As in traditional contests, models are judged by modelers experienced with the subject: aircraft are judged by aircraft modelers, and so on. Provisions are also made so that modelers never judge their own entries. As usual, unresolved questions are addressed by the head judge.

Note: Before judging commences, the following guidelines are presented to each team by the head judge. Copies are also distributed to each individual judge.
    General Guidelines
    As you judge, give each model on the table a good look. Make sure to mention anything you notice-good or bad- to the others on your judging team. Don’t be afraid to ask your team-mates questions if you are unsure about what you are seeing. Pay special attention to unfamiliar kits, modifications, markings, features, etc., that should be considered. Use your best judgment and follow your instincts as to what is right.

Scoring Guidelines
    Bronze: Model has no glaring flaws in finish or construction as seen from a casual viewing distance. At closer range a number of minor flaws may be noticeable but are not concentrated in one area or indicate a lack of basic skills (for example one decal, but not all, may be silvered). This level of quality indicates the modeler is doing the right things but needs to be more consistent in execution. Basic craftsmanship is good, but realism or attention to detail may be lacking.

Silver: Compared to Bronze, the model has a higher level of craftsmanship in all areas: very few flaws, finishes are realistic, stance and ride height are correct, basic techniques have been used to add detail and improve appearance (exposed edges are realistically thinned, gun barrels or exhaust stacks are drilled out, etc.)

Gold: In general, a Gold award indicates an exceptional level of craftsmanship – practically no flaws or omissions of basic techniques should be present. Current best practices for assembly and finishing are used throughout and are executed correctly. An out- of-the-box model can receive a Gold award, but it must exhibit the highest standards.     

Judging Up
    You are encouraged to take extra work, beyond basic construction and finishing, into account when scoring a model. Well done detailing, scratch building, conversion work, etc. can all improve a model’s standing. There are no hard and fast rules for how to factor extra work into scoring, but in general a model should not move up more than one level based on such criteria.

Note that our judging guidelines include “construction and finishing flaws” as the primary criteria for judging. This is not different than “traditional” IPMS judging guidelines. The basic judging guidelines are the same. Experienced modelers will always recognize the varying levels of modeling excellence. It is not difficult for a “traditional” judge to adapt to our “modified open” system. In fact, we openly solicit all modelers in attendance to join our judging ranks.

Feel free to help us out and experience another, less competitive, way to enjoy our hobby.
    After all is said and done, it is still:

By Modelers For Modelers!
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:11:42 PM by FichtenFoo » Logged

Rust is beautiful.

FichtenFoo
    Model On!
    Administrator

16 bits of fun

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »

Added a special award for "Best Axis". Since this is AoZ and one of the goals is to AoZ-up similar era MS then we can't leave out Axis. Wonder what an AoZ-styled Quebely or Gaza-C would look like?

Rust is beautiful.
    DrDazzle
    back to formula?

View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:41:30 PM »

I wanted to build my Quel into an Anti Titans AEUG use MS. I hope to try to mimic the stylings of the AoZ/Titans MS, but it will be in AEUG schemes. Will this fit into the guidelines?

EDIT- Sorry. I wasn't paying attention. Please move this to the questions thread.
    « Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:43:25 PM by DrDazzle » Logged
    Ezechiel

Le Moderator

View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:46:58 PM »

Same Era MS so I don't see a problem. Can be a captured unit.

(>:3) JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION GET IN THE CAR!
    FichtenFoo
    Model On!
    Administrator

16 bits of fun

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:56:08 AM »

It'll work.

Rust is beautiful.
    jnthn

View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:04:56 AM »

I'm a newbie here and I just finished my hazel custom 2 weeks ago. Can I still enter this contest by creating a thread of my in-progress pics? thanks.
    FichtenFoo
    Model On!
    Administrator

16 bits of fun

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:51:17 PM »

Well... you've still got one day till the original deadline so I suppose it's okay as long as no one objects and that you post in-progs.

Rust is beautiful.
    jnthn

View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 03:13:52 PM »

Well... you've still got one day till the original deadline so I suppose it's okay as long as no one objects and that you post in-progs.

thank you, sir! i've just posted it. Smiley
    FichtenFoo
    Model On!
    Administrator

16 bits of fun

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 05:09:22 PM »

If you're done, please preface your thread title with "FINISHED - ". Voting should start soon! Happy Smirk

Rust is beautiful.
    jnthn

View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 08:30:11 PM »

If you're done, please preface your thread title with "FINISHED - ". Voting should start soon! Happy Smirk

sorry but how do i do this? coz i don't see a modify button to change my thread title. thanks.
    FichtenFoo
    Model On!
    Administrator

16 bits of fun

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 04:34:25 AM »

oh yeah... I guess you can't now. The mods and I will do it.

Rust is beautiful.
    Funaka
    W? FTP!
    Help Editors

Look into my EYES!!!

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 05:28:54 AM »

Also, it would be nice if I (or a very kind mod) could fix my pictures. I just need to change the words " http://users.adelphia.net/ " in all of the links to " http://home.roadrunner.com/ ". There are like 100 pictures, but if you use find and replace it doesn't take too long... Wink Please.

"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
    Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010
      Print  

Jump to: