Author Topic: Wipeout anti-gravity Racer  (Read 5285 times)

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Wipeout anti-gravity Racer
« on: September 26, 2007, 05:12:27 AM »
Well, after much farting around, I've started my GB4 entry. I want to get it finished before going forward with the "Propeller Pirate" build, so I've got my work cut out for me.

For this entry, I'm going to try my first near-total scratch-build (or is this a "kit-bash"?), and I'm going to try to build an anti-gravity racer, inspired by the Wipeout series of video games. In terms of models, there's nothing that really comes close to the appearance of what I'm going after, so I'm just taking various parts and trying to figure out how to make them fit into the apperance of a Wipeout machine. I've made sketches, poured over whatever reference material I could find, etc. For my machine, I've chosen to try to replicate the appearance of the "Team Icaras" racer from the PSP game "Wipeout Pure". Oh, and it'll be in 1:72 scale as I find that really easy to work with.

It won't, however, be flying Icaras colors. Instead, I'm going to attempt to use various parts from Bandai Gundam kits for the "mechanical" aspects of the build. As such, this racer will be fielded by the Zeonic Company. Colors will be green, with yellow and/or gray highlights. All I have built so far--and nowhere close to finished--is the nose section: Here's the top:

The front of the nose is two wings from a Revell snap-together 1:72 F-14 Tomcat kit (bought especially for this project). The back part is actually the rudders from the same kit. Both pieces have been trimmed to some degree to make them work with the build. The top panel was just a piece of sheet styrene, cut to fit. The little dot there is a brass piece from a 1:72 tank. I've also added a piece of .010 styrene to it, just to give it a slight bit of raised detail.

And here we have the bottom:

The "base" of the underside is another piece of styrene. Attached to that (for starters) are leftover parts from a MG RGM-79, a tank wheel, and a tank grill... And a little more of that .010 styrene. This is just the start. It needs more work before I'll call it "good". I'll add some hoses and other bits and pieces, just to make it look complicated. I'm not going to go crazy on the underside, but I want it to look decent at a glance.

For the rear of the ship, I'll be using parts from a 1:72 Hasegawa Harrier. That will provide me with the cockpit and rear wings. I'll also be using some parts from a 1:72 F-16 and a MG Zaku II as well.

At any rate, that's the progress for now. I'm off to a slow start, but I have finally started. That's something, I suppose.

Questions, comments, and criticisms are certainly welcome.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:15:06 AM by zerobxu »
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Re: Wipeout anti-gravity Racer
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:29:22 AM »
Pretty cool design.  Never played wipeout so don't know much about the background.  Your idea of using the F-14 wings as the basic shape is pretty cool.  Are you going to keep the surface detail on the wings?  What about that triangle formed at the bottom?  How are you going to fill that?

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:35:47 AM »
It's looking good, but is that nose long enough? Looks like it might be stubby. Will you be adding an extension to it to get the length?
Rust is beautiful.

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 02:29:44 PM »
Are you going to keep the surface detail on the wings?  What about that triangle formed at the bottom?  How are you going to fill that?

I am going to keep the detail on the wings--that's one of the main reasons I'm trying to pull the parts from existing kits rather than just scratch-build the whole thing from styrene. I am going to add to it, though. Some of the pictures I've seen show intakes on the sides of the front section. I'll be trying to duplicate that. I'll probably add some other bits to help obscure the source of the parts better, as well.

For the second question, I already have a styrene piece cut to fill the triangle in the front, but I'll be putting a brass grill over the top of it to give it a little something extra.

It's looking good, but is that nose long enough? Looks like it might be stubby. Will you be adding an extension to it to get the length?
Remember that papercraft site I showed you yesterday (here)? If you print it out on a standard letter-sized paper, it comes out very close to (what I would estimate as) 1:72 scale. Based on that, the nose is just about the right length, but a bit too tall. I won't be modifying the shape further, since I'm not trying to perfectly reproduce the Icaras racer.
-The Wright Brothers

Doctor Seleski

• Do they make that in pink?
  • Char!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 03:28:45 PM »
Zeonic racer . . . cool!  Can't wait to see more of the model parts you use.  I know you aren't attempting a complete reproduction of the Icarus, but are you using the papercraft model as a template?

Beckylaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 08:06:32 PM »
Cool. Looking forward.

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 09:29:32 PM »
Zeonic racer . . . cool!  Can't wait to see more of the model parts you use.  I know you aren't attempting a complete reproduction of the Icarus, but are you using the papercraft model as a template?

Whoops--Just realized I never answered this question. I'm not necessarily using the papercraft model as a template, though I am very closely scrutinizing it as a reference. I'd go as far as to say that it's a better reference than all the screen shots from the game put together. Come to think of it, I should print off and assemble a few to go along with the finished model for pictures (assuming I improve my photography standards).

On a semi-related note, they've finally got a site (and trailer) up for the next Wipeout game: wipeout pulse. This may be enough to push me over the edge to look into finding a used PSP. Doubtful, but possible...
-The Wright Brothers

eyewitness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 11:03:13 PM »
Ooooh maaaan, my heart is breaking... the good old memories of extreme-G come back while looking at wipeout.
why oh why do they only release these kind of games to console?!
/whine off/
Looks great, i like the overall design aswell, but be careful not to make it too much like in the game (looks too much like a cardboard build)
If I may, i'd vote for the wipeouty colors, instead of the realisticy (or a mix of both...)
Good luck with the build!
There was a terrible ghastly silence.
There was a terrible ghastly noise.
There was a terrible ghastly silence.
The Vogon Constructor Fleet coasted away into the inky starry void.

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 05:01:33 AM »
Ooooh maaaan, my heart is breaking... the good old memories of extreme-G come back while looking at wipeout.
why oh why do they only release these kind of games to console?!
/whine off/
Actually, they released wipeoutXL (a.k.a. "wipeout 2097") for the PC. You might be able to find it around eBay somewhere. If not, there's always emulators for one of the console versions. It's hard to pick a favorite, but towards the top was definitely the Nintendo 64 version.

Looks great, i like the overall design aswell, but be careful not to make it too much like in the game (looks too much like a cardboard build)
If I may, i'd vote for the wipeouty colors, instead of the realisticy (or a mix of both...)
Good luck with the build!
It's definitely going to have more depth than the papercraft models or a set of PSP polygons. I'm going to try to get back into this build shortly. I'd been rushing to finish another build in-time for the HobbyTown contest, and now that that's done, I can hopefully try to get back to this.

Oh, and here's what I'd been working on--a scratch-built 1:72 Ma.K. Heinrich (seen here with his big brother):

... If I ever complete a proper lighting set-up for finished projects, maybe I'll get something up in the Model Gallery.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:02:20 AM by zerobxu »
-The Wright Brothers

cyberwill75

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 08:56:11 PM »
I played wipeout XL and was totally hooked! all the best! I found some papercraft wipeout vehicles somewhere on the net, you can try looking for them for reference also... :D