Author Topic: My first WIP  (Read 1728 times)

September 19, 2007, 07:28:04 PM
Read 1728 times

RoboSmurf

• Information
    • View Profile
Can I still be a lurker if I have a WIP, well I won't be making alot of progress on it between baby, school, work and keeping up a house but this thread might help. Here are the WIP shots.

This pic is the model, its an older 1/72 Nu from G-System. This also shows my biggest problem with this sculpt, the funny head.

What it is

Also my first question, what color is that on the neck. Its a wierd off blue grey kinda thing and I really like it. Im using Tamiya German grey for the dark color and flat white with a touch grey added for the white parts. Still need to figure of the mid-tone grey color.

Warped shield
Fixed shield

Here is the work I did the the head, I was just messing around a touch here.
Head 1
Head 2
Head 3

Now Im concentrating on the feet. Here are the ankle pieces, Im going to replace the resin cylinders with metal. I cant decide on brass and silver or painting the brass part black yet. That will come more towards final assembly as I don't want to epoxy on the metal bits yet.

Ankle Pieces

Thats all for now

p.s. Im not sure if I posting this right to share with photobucket, if the pics dont work I will try something different.

September 19, 2007, 09:02:05 PM
Reply #1

DrDazzle

• back to formula?
  • Information
    • View Profile
What is funny shaped about the head? I just think the Camera Crest or whatever it would be called is too far back.
I like the plans to redo the pistons on the ankles, nice idea.

As for the gray, it looks like a pretty standard color, maybe it just has some lightly blued shading? Who knows. Try adding a very small amount of a regular blue color to the gray, see what happens.

September 21, 2007, 01:45:48 PM
Reply #2

Mindless

• Information
    • View Profile
The sensor on the head is the wrong way.  :-)

September 21, 2007, 02:01:07 PM
Reply #3

DrDazzle

• back to formula?
  • Information
    • View Profile

Alas.... it is isn't it? I didn't even notice. My comment was on the finished product image he posted.

September 26, 2007, 01:45:05 PM
Reply #4

MZ3

• Information
  • ?u?su? su????? ?nos ???
    • View Profile
That grey color could be Tamiya XF-50 Field Blue. I used that color on the visor of the Scopedog I'm working on. The color on my monitor is a little off, but it looks really close.
MZ3's Flickr

Posting from a PS3 sucks balls!!!!!!!!!!

October 02, 2007, 09:00:51 PM
Reply #5

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile

Alas.... it is isn't it? I didn't even notice. My comment was on the finished product image he posted.
I think that the sensor may have been intentionally modified. if you look ar "head1" and "head2" it seems RoboSmurf cut it down and mounted it backwards on purpose. Could be jus' a snafu though, looks lower on "head2" than "head1".
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

October 04, 2007, 04:03:44 PM
Reply #6

RoboSmurf

• Information
    • View Profile
Nope, it was backwards but only sitting there not glued yet. I accually started hand painting the color I was looking for, I have it in Valejo game color, but I cant get it to airbrush well.

I didnt know anyone was still following this, but I have the big parts of the legs done. Im happy with the colors and I am going to do all the small bits at the end after I figure out the pose.

I might try to mount in in a flying position using some acrylic rod and a big base.

Here are the pics.

Legs

More Legs

Yup, more legs