Author Topic: Building "Skeletons"  (Read 3215 times)

Climax-Zero

• View Profile
Building "Skeletons"
« on: September 11, 2007, 04:47:47 AM »
Do I just assemble the inside structure of a MG kit with a skeleton normally? Or do I need cement or anything? I'm not sure on the cement part because that will need sanding later on and may damage the look. Painting the entire thing is out of the question, as the layer of paint may restrict armour plates being assembled on.

angel_ad

• Blink, and you'll miss it.
    • View Profile
Re: Building "Skeletons"
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:17:29 AM »
Gundams are 'Snap fit' kits, they dont really need glue at all to hold together, so i cant see why not using glue would be a problem.

Also if you are concerned about armour not snapping on you can always mask off the peg holes, Foo has talked about using sticky tac to cover the holes, and areas that the armour will be fixed in place. So there are still ways that you can paint the inner frame in you want to.

Hope this helps.

Climax-Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 10:44:47 AM »
So I should really only paint the tubing and those details in the skeleton if I want to... Thanks!

angel_ad

• Blink, and you'll miss it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 01:19:45 PM »
Its really up to you, its your kit after all. Some people prefer to do it even tho you cant see it, jsut because they know its there. Others dont bother and dont care. I'd paint mine though  :razz:

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 01:21:29 PM »
At least give them a coat of paint. You don't necessarily have to detail them, but you'd be amazed what you can see and what you can't once the armor goes on. Test fitting helps that too.
Rust is beautiful.

Red Comet

• Whaa?!?!
    • View Profile
    • The Ghost of Zeon
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 01:39:31 PM »
You should paint the internal frame for sure. It is Murphy's Law when it comes to painting models. The piece you don't paint is the piece that you end up seeing. ;)

Climax-Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 01:54:33 PM »
At least give them a coat of paint. You don't necessarily have to detail them, but you'd be amazed what you can see and what you can't once the armor goes on. Test fitting helps that too.
Can you show me an example how it would look like without and with paint? I have built models with skeletons, but if you have the same piece for the examples, then that would be really helpful.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 02:32:39 PM »
Don't know if I have any examples... you'll have to look here:

http://fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/index.htm
Rust is beautiful.

fredpekker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 04:31:13 PM »
Dalong.net has pictures of snap fit-ed, un-painted kits if you wanna see what they look like without paint. Sanding can also help make those allowances for paint.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 04:31:57 PM by fredpekker »