Author Topic: The best method to sawing metal Rods??? anyone?  (Read 3084 times)

rvn85

• View Profile
The best method to sawing metal Rods??? anyone?
« on: July 26, 2005, 09:09:35 AM »
I'm in the midst of extending the gun barrel and addition of another extra one for my HG 1/144 Saviour. I'm using brass rods (well at least they look brass) ok, just metal rods. I've tried cutting such rods before with cutters and sawing it with saws but they just can't seem to give it the right shape.

what tools can i use to cut the rod nicely,neatly and straight so that i wld not end up denting the end of the perfect circular hollow rod  and getting a piece of rod that's sharped edged at the end?

do i use a normal cutting saw that pple use to saw plastic pipes or those saw that uses those sharp wire as its sawing blade?

gamerabaenre

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 09:26:08 AM »
For cutting brass rods and hollow brass rods, I use a diamond edged cutting disc that attaches to my dremel tool.  After the initial cut, I go back over the area with a file and I can remove any burrs and reshape it to any angle.

rvn85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 09:52:17 AM »
i dun have a dremel tool how about something manual?

gamerabaenre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 10:33:15 AM »
Well, this will still require you to buy something...
Brass tube cutter The thing is pretty easy to use, just stick the tube into the open slot, and tighen the screw, then turn the tube and the cutting disc will slice the tube with out crushing the tube.  But with some of the modeling brass tubes, I don't know how successful this tool will be because I don't know how small they make these.  Head over to your local hardware store with your brass tube in hand and see if they have a cutter that will work.

rvn85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 05:41:15 PM »
ok...... thanx but i found another great way without having to buy any additional tools.
just a metal file and a handheld saw shall do the trick.
-hold the brass tube down in place.
-make a mark on where u want to saw.
-instead of just sawing through the entire rod in 1 shot, saw the rod till u see its hollow core.
-rotate the rod and start sawing just like above. soon, the desired length will be sawed off. this will be repeated for abit 2-3 time depending on size of the rod
-always saw the rod abit longer than desired in case its not straight entirely. use a metal file to file off any sharp edges or file it to make it straight.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 06:55:22 PM »
I just use my razor saw and miter box. Cuts through aluminum and brass tubing with no trouble. Leaves the edge a bit ragged occcasionally, but that's easily filed or dremmeled down. No need to turn it while cutting either. In fact cutting in the middle is the easiest part as you're cutting 2 thin lines instead of 1 thick one.
Rust is beautiful.