Author Topic: In Need Of A New Desk...  (Read 3013 times)

July 08, 2007, 09:47:13 PM
Read 3013 times

DrDazzle

• back to formula?
  • Information
    • View Profile
So, currently I am stuck with an extremely flimsy and unstable "Computer Desk" that my father bought me some years ago. It is just falling apart. The desk cannot handle any movement, and the chair is just as bad (I am like 6' 2" and 230 lbs, I need some stability), so I am obviously in need of a new desk.

Simple you say? Well, the only area I can put that bad boy is in a recess in my wall where the window is, which is about 3-4 feet wide. Are there any desks available that are of a good quality that fit in that little a space? If not, Does anyone have any tips for making something myself?

This may be a bit pre mature of me to ask, but some of you have some fancy stuff going on desk wise as I have seen, so I figured it may not hurt to ask  :embarrased: .

Thanks for your help.

July 09, 2007, 02:27:57 AM
Reply #1

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Take a look at Ikea - they make some pretty nice desks, with a good bit of storage, and some can fit in a space like that...

July 09, 2007, 03:30:56 AM
Reply #2

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
The nice thing about Ikea is that even if they don't have a desk that works, you can buy table tops of different sizes and add the legs of your choice.  That's what I did - I built two benches from individual table tops and separate legs.

July 09, 2007, 06:44:05 AM
Reply #3

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
I have to throw my support behind going to Ikea, I think that they are a good place to start, they have a lot of different options for you to choose from, their modular desk systems are really nice.

Drop by one of their stores and check it out, just don't get lost inside...
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

July 09, 2007, 07:04:12 AM
Reply #4

RoboSmurf

• Information
    • View Profile
With minimal space like that I like desks with hutches, my wife only gives me four feet of wall space, its what room is left next to the computer desk. I've had good luck with re-sale shops and such.

Plus don't forget garage sales. I picked up two nice smaller chairs for like 5 bucks. and look for a craigslist website for your town too.

July 11, 2007, 01:48:32 PM
Reply #5

bluedestiny

• Information
    • View Profile
If you don't like spending a lot of money. Check on www.craigslist.org according to your city, and do a search on desk, table, etc. Sometimes the price is cheap for a good desk and sometime you even get a free desk but you have to provide transportation for the item.

July 11, 2007, 02:58:42 PM
Reply #6

Zers

• Information
    • View Profile
I use one of these

It's fairly inexpensive, works well, has a little bit of storage for things you like to have at your fingertips, and you can find it on sale for a little cheaper occasionally.