Author Topic: Chaos Chopper  (Read 19437 times)

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
Re: Chaos Chopper
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2008, 08:39:04 PM »
Whoa-ho-ho, Its coming to a close, finally.

First I gave the Alclad a gloss clear coat; then a wash of citadel colors thinned black ink. After some drying I weathered it further with a custom mix of citadel colors black ink, chesnut ink, brown ink, brazen brass and some of the sophisticated finishes iron metallic surfacer. This mixture gave me a nice depth of color and thickness. It reminds me of the oil and grime that you see caked on the underside of an engine. I went over the "dirty" areas with a small amount of the iron surfacer, allowed it to dry and brushed on some rusting solution. I sealed the parts up in some old tupperware and let it react for five hours. The rust you see below is from a only one application of a small amount of the rusting solution. For more info check out Foo's review of the Sophisticated Finishes: Rust

I had a small problem when I used citadel colors matte varnish to seal the rust. It frosted :doh: but when I used an acrylic clearcoat the frost disappeared all but this small spot on the underside .The gloss coat also darkened the rust a bit. Then I masked off the metals and mixed up another custom color of Tamiya acrylics: 10 parts X-15 light green,  4 parts XF-5 flat green, and 2 parts XF-3 flat yellow for the armor plates. Lastly, the fun part: unmasking heres a look at the total package before the final touch ups.

A few parts disappeared on me. The helmet (meh, big deal) and two of the shoulder grenades($#!@) are currently awol. That aside it looks like I'll be the first across the proverbial "finish line", unless NickM can catch me. :D    Thanks for watchin' everybody.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:46:58 PM by chaos_theory »
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2008, 11:42:28 PM »
So far I like what I have been seeing, Great Job so far!

I like the contrasting colors used, I am looking forward to seeing the finished model.
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

NickM

• Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2008, 04:05:50 AM »
Looks like you got the old green thumb, hehehe. I think it looks much better without the helmet, much more scary.

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 10:31:53 AM »
Advancing with the weathering, Im about 95% done with the "Speed Demon". Gotta start thinking about the base.

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 11:09:14 AM »
The weathering, decals and sealer have all been applied. below is a closeup and some other detail pics. I'm going to do a simple base so as not to detract from the model. I did find the helmet but no luck with the 2 missing back grenades dammit. :doh:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2104/2330928571_241f2a6285_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/2330928399_f585d1ee81_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/2330928255_ed6109e60a_o.jpg

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »
Nice work so far. The fine scratches on the armor look great!
Rust is beautiful.

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2008, 08:52:55 PM »
The base is at a stand still as I have run out of the cheap (read: friggin' best ever Big Lots find) epoxy putty. Compared to Tamiya putty $6 to Big Lots $1 for almost the same amount.  So while I search the country side here is some progress.

I've used a red stain of turpenoid and Van Gogh oil: madder lake deep. Then I build up the base with some GreatStuff can foam. I ran out of foam but got enough of a elevation to plaster over it. Once the plaster dried sanded it smooth & started to putty over it to apply a stamped texture to the ground. Then I ran out of every epoxy putty in the house, save my Tamiya which I refuse use (read: spend $24 bucks to cover the 12 inch by 8 inch base :P).

Nice work so far. The fine scratches on the armor look great!

Thanks, that means alot coming from you. Your weathering always looks superb
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:56:46 PM by chaos_theory »

eyewitness

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2008, 11:17:19 AM »
Wow, he's (it's) getting more and more awesome by the minute, but I somehow expected a bit more pale and zombified skin tone or more bloodish for that "freshly skinned" look, but it looks great as it is anyway. And the weathering's super great but where's the kampfer-shoulder-helmet? It looked meaner with it on.
Looking forward for the updates, great WIP!
There was a terrible ghastly silence.
There was a terrible ghastly noise.
There was a terrible ghastly silence.
The Vogon Constructor Fleet coasted away into the inky starry void.

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2008, 12:38:56 PM »
A simple base my ass... after a month of looking for cheap epoxy putty I finally broke down and used all my Tamiya smooth type.:( 2 1/4 packs to cover this thing,then I plan an amalgamated track surface over the creeping flesh. Yes I had this wierd idea about a some freakish flesh-moss that grows across the planet surface. I imagine tires wouldn't get good traction on skin hence the elevated road of random debris. Thoughts?

Wow, he's (it's) getting more and more awesome by the minute, but I somehow expected a bit more pale and zombified skin tone or more bloodish for that "freshly skinned" look, but it looks great as it is anyway. And the weathering's super great but where's the kampfer-shoulder-helmet? It looked meaner with it on.
Looking forward for the updates, great WIP!
I thought about Zombie and rotten skin but I like the gore. As for the "Bloody" look I had to seal the decals and will hit up the flesh a final time fore that freshly skinned look. Thanks fer watchin'
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 12:43:48 PM by chaos_theory »

NickM

• Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 03:25:09 AM »
I feel your pain on the epoxy side. I think I might just crack and start ordering the infamous Aves Apoxie by the pound.

You mean that thing races on flesh literally?! Well that's just... awesome. I'm not feeling the road of debris though. It looks good, but my first thought is that a road carved out of bone is more suitable, like it's racing up the spine of some huge thing.

I have to start working on the Cage again, I'm gonna get slaughtered!

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
Ok thats one against the debris track, any body else wanna weigh in here? I'd love moar opinions as I'm still looking at my options.

The spork track marker stays no matter what...  :secret police:

thanks for the input Nick. You seem to be like me with 47 projects goin at once. Damnable ADD :doh:

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2008, 05:48:02 AM »
Ok a little update. Base painting is progressing. I have a little step by step jpeg to show my painting technique. From left to right Tamiya German gray from the rattle can; Tamiya matt white spray can; Citadel Colors scab red thinned with water and brushed on in two coats and lastly a custom mix of Citadel Colors snakebite leather, scab red, bleached bone and skull white dry-brushed in three layers. This is the first round with probably another six or seven layers of dry-brushing varying shades of skin tone over the flesh and then the oil washes and details.

industrial model painting. Actually its more like a lack of patience :sweat:

Ezechiel

• Le Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2008, 08:11:28 AM »
Oh wow that's really creepy, good job :D
(>:3) JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION GET IN THE CAR!

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »
Thanks Eze

Update junkie: (1.) a few more passes with the 4" paintbrush  (2.) then a heavy oil wash with madder lake red.  Next the long wait for the oils to dry, a quick seal, then another wash of a thinner/darker nature.

The subtle variations don't come through on the pics. I have also decided against the debris tack.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:50:43 PM by chaos_theory »