Author Topic: Saviour Gundam - Wing extension (method/ideas)  (Read 3184 times)

Roken

• The Red Knight
  • Gundam Concept Underway
    • View Profile
    • Rokcorp
Saviour Gundam - Wing extension (method/ideas)
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:02:46 PM »

Currently building a Seed Destiny 1/100 Saviour, been on the project for about a month now, designing, planning, then the work etc. Here it is as it stands:

Main issue i'm having with the original is the lack of wing span; now even the 1/144 HG has longer (scaled) wings than this thing does, frankly, these are puny.

Since i've never really scratch built anything that needed to be as... sturdy as these should be, I'm wandering exactly how i should go about extending the wings.

Do i use the original as base and add more? Or should i remove the original alltogether and add new wings?

I have styrene sheets of varying sizes at my disposal, and should be able to get any other model supplies i might need. But yeah, really need some help here. ^_^;;

Thanks in advance guys!

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Re: Saviour Gundam - Wing extension (method/ideas)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 05:00:14 PM »
You can go either way, sand the leading edge of the wing flat, or build wings from scratch. If you decide to build the wings from scratch, you will need to have a accurate set of plans for the wings and go from there. Either way, it is not hard work, just time consuming work in correcting the length, or building a new set of wings.

If you find that the wing is to much out of proportion, then scratch build it, it is less work.

Below are webpages for how a Japanese modeler rebuilt the 1/100 Saviour Gundam.

Click here to view the webpage

Click here to view the completed model
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 05:03:45 PM by clee-cm »
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

Roken

• The Red Knight
    • View Profile
    • Rokcorp
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 11:39:54 PM »
Thanks, yeah, thats where I got most of my guidence from.

So i'm guessing if i added on to the existing wings, or indeed made new ones, they'd stick quite firmly if I used poly cement/some putty, and I wouldn't need to add anything else to maintain its structure?

Thanks again

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:03:49 AM »
Realistically, the only person who can answer that question is you.  Jump in, and add onto the existing wings - and see how they feel after you make them.  Do they feel as strong as the old ones?  Are they a little floppy?  Then add some structure to it (bits of styrene that span between the two parts). 

Roken

• The Red Knight
    • View Profile
    • Rokcorp
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 06:09:15 AM »
Ah, true, modelling is pretty subjective, so I'll have to test it out and hope for the best. That structure tip should come in handy too, i thought of it but wasn't sure if it'd make much difference. ^_^;

Thanks again guys, been a great help!

I'll be sure to post some progress pics in the MIP board.

Roken

• The Red Knight
    • View Profile
    • Rokcorp
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 05:35:30 PM »

Had to show these, just to say thanks again!

(Some old pics for comparison) :
http://zgteam.net/rokcorp/images/sav old.jpg
http://zgteam.net/rokcorp/images/sav old 2.jpg

I'm really surprised how well it all worked out, still lots to clean up etc, and i'm going to still add more structure over the top/bottom as back up and to improve the look, but wow, amazing!

Thanks guys!

(Yes, someones excited, haha)

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 06:05:49 PM »
Nice job... :D I look forward to seeing the completed model. The wings look great, I want to see the surface detail when it is done.

What I don't like about the 1/100 HG Seed models are the short wings, and inaccurate dimensions, I have the 1/100 Infinite Justice Gundam, it suffers from the same problem, short wings. Which is to bad, the kits are cheep, I guess.

again, Nice Job  :-)

Ezechiel

• FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 06:50:25 PM »
Looks MUCH better!
(>:3) JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION GET IN THE CAR!

Roken

• The Red Knight
    • View Profile
    • Rokcorp
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 11:19:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys ^_^, i'll go make a post in the MIP board as i said, and keep posting progress.

clee-cm:

Yeah, very true, however the kits made post Legend/IJ as you probably know, were all designed by Bee-Craft who do all the Seed MG too (as compared to the old ones who just weren't planned by anyone), so most of the detail/proportions are close or can be easily turned into MG. However, they just love torturing us by making tiny little wings, or badly moulded ones (the Akasuki set is an exception to that rule though,  a v-nice mould).

The arms have V good articulation in the new generation too, my only issue is with the top leg area area, that doesnt have a whole lot of movement.

Speaking of which, any advice on increasing that leg movement would be helpful. ^_^;

I've seen how mesarion did it, but I don't feel like wasting one of my Strike MG frame's arms just for that. =/

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 12:37:06 AM »
I have to agree, Bee-Craft had to make some compromises to make the kits fit the price point, but I still don't like the way the kits turned out. But they are a kit basher's dream.  :razz: :D

Go back to the top, to my first post on this thread, the modeler who's page I linked to, that person basically kit bashed the joints from a MG kit and made them fit on to the Saviour Gundam, to give it more mobility.

If you are willing to sacrifice a MG Gundam Kit to give more mobility the Saviour Gundam, then that is your course of action.