Author Topic: Scribing Plastic  (Read 3922 times)

amessier

• View Profile
Scribing Plastic
« on: March 16, 2007, 08:13:19 PM »
I recently got a scribing tool to make panel lines and such and was wondering what techniques are used by others?

My idea is to draw the lines with a fine point marker before scribing.  Only problem I found with this is its not always easy to follow the line and I slip then have to putty. Should I do any pre-scribing or am I pushing to much at first? Should I somehow get some type of edge to follow for a guide like some thick tape?

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
Re: Scribing Plastic
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »
I edge my scribe lines with thick tape then score with a razor or scribing saw before using a dental tool to scribe the line deeper. And mistakes I just putty over.
Rust is beautiful.

FilmMkr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 06:17:26 AM »
I've never scribed a Gundam, but I've done many, many cars and figures.  My material of choice for a scribing guide is Dymo or Scoth brand label tape, available at most office supply stores.  It has a very rigid, hard-edged, somewhat flexible surface.   Don't remove the adhesive backing - just hold it along the line you want to scribe and cut away!

Irk

• Member IM
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pixelgraphics.us
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 08:42:27 AM »
Cool to know about the tape. I have heard of people using that for scribing but I just assumed that they stuck it to the model first.

Filmy: does the adhesive react with the plastic? or is it just a pain to clean?
Write a wise saying and your name will live forever - Anonymous

FilmMkr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 11:59:20 AM »
No, it doesn't really hurt anything.  I just find it quicker anhd easier to hold it in place myself.

You have to be absolutely sure about positioning though before you peel and stick!  Also, you can't really re-use it once you've stuck it down, 'cause when you peel it off it distorts pretty dramatically.

AnatoleFarmond

• Fairly Useless
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:55:36 PM »
Also, you can buy some cheap dental tools at targer, or walmart, I picked some up for something like four bucks. It came with a hook, and a sharper one, the hook is kinda flimsy but the sharp one works great.
"No matter how good you get, there will always be someone better than yourself." ~ Char Aznable

oteebzo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 08:24:59 PM »
try harbor frieght they got a set dirt cheap

AnatoleFarmond

• Fairly Useless
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 08:46:33 PM »
Awesome, thanks a lot. (I've been trying to get a good shopping list together to buy tools.)
"No matter how good you get, there will always be someone better than yourself." ~ Char Aznable

amurorey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 02:09:50 AM »
Cool to know about the tape. I have heard of people using that for scribing but I just assumed that they stuck it to the model first.

Filmy: does the adhesive react with the plastic? or is it just a pain to clean?

put the Dymo tape on top of Tamiya masking tape. Since the masking tape has less strong adhesive you can stick on your painted kit without too much of worry~