Author Topic: Build-Off Ideas and Sign-ups  (Read 31288 times)

May 15, 2007, 12:15:48 PM
Reply #20

machinedragon

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://machinedragon.com
bubble not burst , dragons must have thick skin and years of welding have left me looking the part . :pirate:

dont get me wrong the collective is nice , but don't we do what we do to separate ourselves from the heard , and bring the heard to our levels respectively .

normally i don't duel for the experience , i don't duel for the friendship , i duel for no better way to describe but to get the wave of victory wash away my doubt. As a sculptor and painter these duels are exactly the same as when i submit art to galleries and shows and juried exhibitions , i am (even if i don't want to ) being weighed and measured constantly against everyone else who wants in . and if im ever going to get my comic's and concept art robots that are complete scratchbuilt to look up to snuff with what big companies like bandai sell then i need to be like a viking , compete fight struggle win , untill my name is forever burned into the memory . the only duel that is any different was over the studio space where me and my friends work , and since it was all about destruction and recreation  (salvage all unsold art and remake into one )  i was dueling myself and not really anyone else , there could have been 1 opponent or 1k , once i have my opponent i have my drive .

but back to the point
well the conventions that happen here in D.C. and in N.Y. often have cosplay and other events with prizes reaching in the tens of thousands of dollars , i rember one where litteraly 2 armor clad transformers were being judged , both were obviously in  the top of the ranking , both had been made to look as close to the show as possible and still be somewhat nimble , eventually the judges let the soundwave win because he had a voice changer , and the optimus prime did not . both were imaculate years of work over 15 minutes of fame in a room full of otaku. and thats just the cosplay , at the model compititon , the prize was a custom made f91 head made out of aluminum ,  and it was roughy the size of a motorcycle helmet , the winner was a guyver completely scratchbuilt , before he even left the show , someone bought it for 1500, i ended up selling some of my gundams also , but not for more than 100 on any of them .
i even competed in the lan party , won a hefty prize for a computer made to look like an Egyptian temple . won 500 , and i didnt even end up close to winning , :angry: :sick: *i could not compete with a bender the robot computer*  :sick: :sick: 

and also , we had gundam girls as judges for all events , and one was a gouf type  ( had shinguards , gauntlets , heatwhip , sword , breastplate and shield ) and a knockout (barely fit in breastplate  8)) , and a guntank girl , in red tank top with guns on shoulders ( funniest girl in there , needed help even getting thru a door)

the sheild  was meant to be a trophy peice , so in  theory all of the people who visit this site ( quite a lot) and magazines ( who know about FichtenFoo well ) will know this is a trophy

i was planning it with steel letters on the back that read "i pilot the gouf for the glory of zeon  (second line) :
_____ winner of ___ competiton (third line) : sponsored by _____ .

i was going to weld one for myself anyway sell some on my website so  i have priced it at 48$ steel , 70 for aluminum ,  and if i skimp and just pop rivet , i can bring that down to just price of sheet metal .
and the dogtags and other zeon stuff ive been selling for years at conventions , so its not like some jerk walked in looking goofy , its more like the guy in the gouf just sold you a gunpla
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 12:42:24 PM by machinedragon »

May 16, 2007, 06:46:18 AM
Reply #21

pgstrike

• Information
    • View Profile
Well,i would be up for a gouf or gouf custom build off.
If it fit's between the hovertruck build off and my other kits I'm worlikng on.

And I have a suggestion build off for an 1/550 HG rx-78 gp 03 dendrobuim that's not oob?
The kit isn't that very expensive...

Please keep me informed of whatever takes place ^_^

May 24, 2007, 12:50:20 PM
Reply #22

machinedragon

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://machinedragon.com
I would be interested to see if a gouf could fit in there , sorry if i seem gouf happy but thats the only other kits i have at the moment .  That would be non oob ? 

May 24, 2007, 04:10:31 PM
Reply #23

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Well,i would be up for a gouf or gouf custom build off.
If it fit's between the hovertruck build off and my other kits I'm worlikng on.

And I have a suggestion build off for an 1/550 HG rx-78 gp 03 dendrobuim that's not oob?
The kit isn't that very expensive...

Please keep me informed of whatever takes place ^_^

How about a 1/144 Dendrobium build-off!!  :razz:

1/550 would be pretty cool

May 25, 2007, 04:53:06 AM
Reply #24

pgstrike

• Information
    • View Profile
Maybe some day,first i have to find one for a reasonable price :meh:

June 02, 2007, 03:07:58 AM
Reply #25

Adeon000

• Information
  • I'm Ron Burgandy?
    • View Profile
Its really funny pgstrike because when i read your in progress thread about ure 1/550 dendrobium i got started on mine, wanna do a build off?

We've both done about the same amount of work so it should be a fair competition.

I'm doing weapon module mods so i can have sliding ones jus like yours so that should be good to see what we come up with.

Anyone else wanna join in?

June 02, 2007, 04:58:29 AM
Reply #26

pgstrike

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm in for the build off!
Hope others follow ^_^

September 24, 2007, 06:12:27 AM
Reply #27

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I mentioned that I received this kit recently to mtomczek and a build-off (or at least a duel) was suggested. So let's see who else's interested in doing the following kit as a big honkin' build-off (but not till early 2008 please)...

HGUC Dendrobium
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:13:21 AM by FichtenFoo »

September 24, 2007, 01:48:16 PM
Reply #28

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
I mentioned that I received this kit recently to mtomczek and a build-off (or at least a duel) was suggested. So let's see who else's interested in doing the following kit as a big honkin' build-off (but not till early 2008 please)...

HGUC Dendrobium

Woohooo!!!! This will be awesome.  :evil:

September 24, 2007, 03:41:17 PM
Reply #29

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Maybe we'll include the SD and 1/550 pee-wee dendros as well to make this an overall Dendro BO. I just opened the kit up to check out the parts and well... on the intimidation scale of 1-10, this ranks a good 9 for me. The size of the i-field generator alone... massive! I think I expected it to be the size of a US half dollar coin or something, but it's much larger.  :ninja:

October 31, 2007, 04:07:30 AM
Reply #30

CaptainPlastic

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 12:31:01 AM by CaptainPlastic »

October 31, 2007, 04:23:44 AM
Reply #31

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
You want a time extensive and detailed kit? Try the MG Ex-S Gundam. ;-)

March 06, 2008, 11:47:15 AM
Reply #32

DamnCranky

• Mr. Damn Cranky
  • Information
    • View Profile
Exactly, you heard right. Here's the challenge . . . the other day I found a set of 6 ping pong balls (very cheap) at the supermarket and I got an idea . . . a ping pong ball challenge!

This is more of a stay-sharp exercise than anything else, but here's the deal.

What can you build using a ping pong ball? One or several?  There are no rules and no deadline other than you have to use a ping pong ball.

How's that for a fire-in-the-brain puzzler?

Any takers? This is perfect for some of you between projects . . .
For samples of my work, please visit:

www.fotki.com/vsuarez666

March 06, 2008, 12:01:27 PM
Reply #33

spiffitz

• Information
  • I break stuff
    • View Profile
Just yesterday I found some ping pong eyeballs in my wife's stash. Naturally I had to collect them for myself. Shhh...

They have very prominent mold marks which probably excludes them from official tabletop tennis matches, but the grooves make nice panel lines.

edit- btw I think you're supposed to post suggestions here.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:07:21 PM by spiffitz »
Ron

April 17, 2008, 06:43:51 AM
Reply #34

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
ZLuca is about to send his wonderfull last creation. Can we espect a Build off ? or a duel ?
I'am in.

April 17, 2008, 06:57:40 AM
Reply #35

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
ZLuca is about to send his wonderfull last creation. Can we espect a Build off ? or a duel ?
I'am in.

Probably... we'll have to see who's in. ATM I have a few things on my plate so it might be a bit before I get started, but if anyone else is interested, sign up! We could probably have a SchnabelGun BO as well at some point.

May 15, 2008, 08:24:42 AM
Reply #36

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Here's an idea I've been toying with for a few days now that I realized would make for a great Build-off or Group Build.

Generic Photo Base

Make a large display base... Tarmak with buildings/equip, roadway, forest, maintenance bay, etc... any scale. Make it as detailed as possible and large too but generic enough that you can use it for photographing different kits.

Example 1: Make a 1' x 1' x 3'  wide box and construct a maintenance bay or mecha carrier deck inside of it. Light the ceiling, build or create cranes, service vehicles, etc... Done right it could be used for 1/144 -1/172 scale mecha. Use it for display, hang it on a wall, and or use it for photography. Using Kotobukiya and MOD bases for walls and such is acceptable.

Example 2: Make a rocky desert terrain with a 6-7" cliff wall on one side and/or a large ditch. This can be used for MS, or even tanks.

When done, you can swap out the kits for photography use. You can use the same bay for a gundam or zaku. Make swappable parts... maybe have a banner hanging in the bay with a Zeke or feddy flag, etc...

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:26:07 AM by FichtenFoo »

May 15, 2008, 01:17:30 PM
Reply #37

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
I like the idea in general. I had a kind of generic photo base because I had built the bottom of what is now my GP01 Hangar diorama. I used it to photograph my Zaku I and Corsair, but now that it's been used in the diorama, I miss having it.

However, my personal feeling on a generic photo base is that it would have to be kind of plain for a couple of reasons. First off, any outdoors scene is going to require matching weathering on the model. So that limits you to tarmac and hangars. Second, if all my postings of all my models have the same elaborate (recognizable) background, I just think it's going to be cheesy. There's that hangar with a Zaku. There's that hangar again with a GP01. There's that hangar again with a Strike. There's that hangar again with a Mk. II. etc... I've started to notice myself having the same kinds of feelings when I see a model posted posed on the Bandai Action Bases. I own several and they're nice, but I feel like since everybody has them, I need to do something to it to make it unique...

I like the idea, but perhaps a generic base (floor only, I'm thinking tarmac or hangar floor), and then a few matching, but different backgrounds. Something modular, and very low-key so as not to distract from the model.

I guess I just feel like every model is a one-of-a-kind piece of art and deserves a unique display.
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

May 15, 2008, 02:26:06 PM
Reply #38

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Yeah, I see what you're saying. Mine will be 1/35 and 2 x 4 feet so plenty of space to keep several models fresh. I'm running out of room for many displays so I figured doing this, and definitely doing it modular (swap an oak tree segment for a palm, etc...) would be ideal.

May 15, 2008, 05:43:12 PM
Reply #39

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
This reminds me of the hex bases that are sometimes used in Warhammer games. Each hexagon tile has different scenery in it and you can place them in different orders to achieve different landscapes for the battlefield. That would be a pretty cool group build.

FF: I know of some display solutions for your display problems. Send me some pics of your area and it's dimensions if you're interested and I'll see what I can do.