Author Topic: How to do Zaku/Gouf piping?  (Read 2436 times)

tehmarken

• View Profile
How to do Zaku/Gouf piping?
« on: January 10, 2007, 06:53:28 PM »
So, I've been working on my Zaku II model, and I'm stumped on how to best do the little plastic piping segments. How to sand, and then paint them to look good. If I just string them on the piping I'm afraid that the sides won't get painted and it will look bad.

How do you guys normally paint the zaku/gouf piping segments?

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:08:54 PM »
Individually - there's no way around sanding each one, and painting each one - unless you go with aftermarket type stuff.  There are brass beads you can buy, that are similar to the piping segments - or, you can just replace the piping segments with something completely different -insert shameless plug here- you can use some of the ugly tube or fiberglass braided sleeving available in my store to simulate the piping, or even some springs, applied over a tube (say the ugly tube) - springs will be available soon in my store...

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:13:50 AM »
You can streamline the process a bit, however.

If you have a rod with a size close to the inner diameter of the beads (but not too close) you can wrap tape around it, sticky-side out, and put the beads on it, all in a row, with some space in between.  Then you can do a lot of the sanding and painting en masse - though some may still need individual attention.

With the Gouf I believe it's a bit more complicated, in that the beads aren't all uniform - rather, they're custom fitted to a particular area of the curve.  So probably with those ones you need to know how to sort them out afterward, or else keep track of their proper order while you work.
---GEC
Jabber ID: tetsujin@scope-eye.net

Identity_Chrisis

• Storm Rider
  • A child loved by the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »
i would have to agree with fulcy, that his sleeving/ugly tube, or even mesh chain would look very nice on a zaku or gouf :D  however, if you don't want to bother, you're in for a lot of work. i would say sand them individually,even though it sucks, and then use tetsujin's method for painting. i did this for the torso pipe of the MG sazabi, and it really worked.