Author Topic: Shapelock (review added)  (Read 6006 times)

BM2

• John Fields
  • "Sometimes you just have to be stupid"Joe Strummer
    • View Profile
Shapelock (review added)
« on: December 23, 2006, 06:06:29 AM »
Has anybody heard of or used this product-
shapelock
I'm intriqued by the possibilities- seems to be similar to the old friendly plastics
The dude abides!

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 07:29:52 AM »
Looks interesting. I went ahead and ordered the free ($5) sample. With the shapes and such that I'm doing for my PG build, this might come in handy. I'll let you guys know.
Rust is beautiful.

BM2

• John Fields
    • View Profile
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 07:43:25 AM »
I look forward to the review
The dude abides!

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 08:10:45 AM »
Id doesn't look like it'd be very sculptable for fine details, but I think it'll work great as a large gap filler.

See, for the Panfdora I'm making a lot of hollow boxes. When sanding the edges sometimes they crack on the seams due to me holding them tightly. Normally I fill stuff like this with Magic Sculpt or Apoxy sculpt, but it's expensive and takes a while to dry. This might make a great filler.

It might also work great for supporting angled pieces. Again I'd normally use MS or AAS for that, but the dry time sucks. Using metal strip is annoying too and what I've been doing.

And lastly, it might be great for conforming around the internals of the frame under the armor to make quick attachment points for it. No more rod and tube-type which is good because they keep breaking on me. Stupid CA and SGT! :evil: Or this might help as a support for the rod and tube type. :idea:
Rust is beautiful.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 09:43:54 AM »
I got a shipping notice yesterday. Hopefully it'll arrive soon, but with the holiday mailing season... :-(
Rust is beautiful.

BM2

• John Fields
    • View Profile
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 02:16:10 PM »
I was thinking it might work as a reuseable casting compound - you would probaly have to refine the casting a bit but it's a lot cheaper than RTV!
The dude abides!

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 10:40:42 AM »
I got my sample today and played with it a bit. I don't have time right now to right a good review, but I am going to recommend to everyone that you go order the sample. This stuff is awesome!
Rust is beautiful.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »
Okay... here's some more info based on my limited exposure to this stuff. I haven't applied it to anything yet, I merely boiled some water and added a few of the beads to soften them and work with them.

The "beads" are an opaque white color when at room temperature. When added to 150 degree F water they become clear and pliable. The consistency is then that of very soft wax from a candle that's recently been put out. You can squish it and shape it for a few minutes till it starts to set back up (arounf 130 degrees F).

When it hardens back up you can drill it, sand it, whatever... What's great is that you can put it back into the hot water and remelt it over and over. I played with the little bit I melted over and over till the water cooled. So save the scraps as you can reuse them!

Now onto potential uses as pretaining to mecha modeling...

1: Hollow area filler. Merely melt and squish in, sand, etc...

2: The plastic is hard, but has a slightly rubbery feel to it. What's fantastic about this is that I think it might make a great ABS-like joint maker. Probably will be great for ball-joint-cups, etc... I'm thinking that this stuff would be great in MG heads instead of the polycap since I end up usually removing all the things that the PC would hook into to enable the face to go in last after painting. Squish it in and place on the neck-ball. 8)

3: Temporary angle maker for boxes and armor scratchbuilding. Make your first angle, then squish this into the back... remove it and you have a perfect guide for making duplicates of that angle.

4: Mount-maker... basically you can make some armor, place this inside and squish it onto the frame making a good mounting point.

The ABS-like feel is what I like best about this though... I think it'll be great for joints and similar apps.
Rust is beautiful.

mtomczek

• paid by the force
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 02:31:49 PM »
How is it temperature-wise when working with it? I know from experience with the sulfur based modeling clays that need to be at 180 degrees F, that it can be rough on the hands after a little while.  

Is the stuff pretty hot when working with it?

Otherwise this sounds really quite nice, you could even use it to make molds of stuff too.

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 03:48:10 PM »
Temperature-wise it's not too bad. It tends to cool fast though so for detailed projects you've only got maybe a minute of work-time. I just used it to make attachment points for my Pandora's ass-armor and lower chest piece which was crooked from the last attachment point I made and needed redone. Worked well, but there were some initial "pains" while getting used to the products quick cool time. At least a quick dunk in hot H20 makes it workable again.

As for molds, it may work both ways... I had an old Miliput mold of a MaK pilot head. The mold halves didn't work out well using Miliput... Anyway... I squished the plastic into the face part and waited a few minutes and out came a very nice face.

I'm sure it could potentially be used for some simple molds as well... say you squish a minus mold into it 20 times and pout resin into the hole to get many m-molds ot something.

I'm considering using it as a masking agent as well for inside of verniers. I think you'd want to make the masks BEFORE any paint is applied though. Then paint the insides of the vernier, stick in the "plugs" and paint the outsides. If you use Tamiya, and alcohol doesn't affect this stuff (haven't tested that yet) then clean-up of the shapelock should be simple enough.

1001 Uses!!!!  :lol:
Rust is beautiful.

mtomczek

• paid by the force
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 06:05:12 PM »
Right on! You have me sold, I ordered up my trial just now.

mrmaigo

• View Profile
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 09:41:29 PM »
Now, does it bond to plastic or other stuff? Can you weld it to plastic?

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 09:53:58 PM »
Hmmm... I haven't tried normal model glue, but super-glue works just fine.

It sticks to itself pretty well when it's all heated... when a melty part is stuck to a cool part it sticks a little, but breaks off easily.

The instructions say to not use plastic utensils/cups when doing this and I tested it and agree. It tends to stick. Metal and glass all the way!
Rust is beautiful.

Deus EpS Machina

• View Profile
Re: Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 11:27:05 AM »
I was thinking about other uses of this product. Im a huge fan of adding sensors/cameras where tasteful and from what i saw from other people's works with it, its semi-transparent when hardened. My question is how pliable is it? How easily could I, for instance, stuff it into a small area (Ex-S's head crest for example) before it hardens. Also, due to its semi-transparent look after its hardened, how well would it be able to replicate FF's lens method?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 11:35:32 AM by Deus EpS Machina »

spiffitz

• I break stuff
    • View Profile
Re: Shapelock (review added)
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
Search for "Friendly Plastic", the stuff's been around almost a decade, if not more. It even comes in colors, sheets, and the usual pellets as shown on the Shapelock site.

Ron