Author Topic: GB1: Finished » The Legend of Bloodwind (SAFS)  (Read 20511 times)

May 25, 2005, 08:37:32 AM
Reply #40

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com

June 07, 2005, 07:38:04 AM
Reply #41

qc

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://qcfoundry.tripod.com
Thumbs up.
back to the masking for a sec...
once i saw the effect achieved with the rubber cement, i automatically thought Slave I (I recently picked up one).  I knew the looking of the masking...nice and scratchy and chipping (without obviously looking like the salt technique).  Looked up the link and saw it had a thinner ..PERFECT!  all the other masks i've used are so thick, you can't get a jagged rough egde due to their viscosity.  I ran out and picked up the cement and thinner last night...applied...and painted over.  Haven't looked at the results yet.  

But was wondering if FF could give us a little more detail on the actual process.  How thin was your mix (assuming you did thin it out), did you stiple or broom motion, and did you clean up the brush by just straight dipping it into the solvent?

A mini tutorial on that would be superb.

Nice work again.

June 07, 2005, 07:51:05 AM
Reply #42

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks qc,

Well, I have a little bit of a tutorial on it, but I could expand upon it. I didn't clean the brush as I don't have any of the thinner right now. That said, I didn't thin the rubber cement either. Didn't feel there was a need to do so. I used an old small frayed brush and stippled it on. That gave me the hard and jaggy edges.

That was my brush just after applying the RC. That's how it looked basically the whole time I was stippling. Ragged and random. When stippling I just kept rotating the brush as to not get the exact same pattern.

Check out the Slave One from Tamiya Modeling Mag here: http://www.tamiyamodelmagazine.com/frames/Gallery/galltester.htm

Also take a look at this fantastic landcruiser from MIG Productions.
http://www.migproductions.com/MP/products/35141/35141.htm

Both use paint chipping effects EFFECTIVELY. It's easy to overdo this look so take it easy with the RC guys ;-)

June 08, 2005, 05:10:00 AM
Reply #43

qc

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://qcfoundry.tripod.com
i thought you may have thinned it out a bit?  i have the can with the brush attached to the lid...and whenever i pull the brush out of the fluid...it creates a very long thin string (think hot mozzarella).  
i looked at my results last nite...not bad.  def need to consider what scale i'm working out,thus what kind of stippling i'll use.  found when you put it on thin, its a tad harder to start to pull up (its not the effort of the removing...just getting a starting edge), especially if you don't have some nice grippy rubber (or something akin to that texture) and it's hard to see where you've applied it and where you haven't.
think i'll still thin my mixes out but at half the amount i had before.
i kinda wish it had a color to it, so i could see where i have and haven't applied it to the model (DURING the process of application).  would be nice too...in case you do two masks ...one over another (think seeing paint over primer over bare metal).

thanks for the further explaination FF (btw,...thats gotta be the roughest looking brush i've ever seen)

June 08, 2005, 04:28:28 PM
Reply #44

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
What's that stuff inside the little service hatch on the front?

This photo.
---GEC
Jabber ID: tetsujin@scope-eye.net

June 08, 2005, 05:44:10 PM
Reply #45

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
qc: I just poured a little bit out onto a applesause cup and lightly dabbed the brush. The brush wasn't that messed up before the RC went on it, but that's what it looked like as I applied it. It helped create the jagged look. It's be nice if the RC was colored somehow, but it's dealable for me. Besides, if I was doing a primer and paint chip I'd remove the rubber cement from the primer spray first. Just to make removal of the next layer easier plus since there's no color, having the primer chips visible would make things easier for the next masking.

Tet: It comes molded that way. It's some sort of tank with a few pipes and knobby things for details. Most people just glue the hatch shut.

June 09, 2005, 07:32:45 AM
Reply #46

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
Tet: It comes molded that way. It's some sort of tank with a few pipes and knobby things for details. Most people just glue the hatch shut.

Interesting.  I've been looking at the photos and scans of the Raptor on Hobby Search and they don't seem to match up...  That open hatch detail is present on the parts photos (in which, apparently, the chest is built from left and right halves) and missing in the instructions (in which it seems the front part of the suit, the part that opens forward to let the pilot out, is a single part molded from the front, and attached to the back half of the suit...)  I guess I'll find out how it really goes together when I get the kit.

Did you track the time you spent working on this, like you did with some of your other projects?
---GEC
Jabber ID: tetsujin@scope-eye.net

June 09, 2005, 08:32:02 AM
Reply #47

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Heh! That's because the Raptor is essentially a conversion set. It comes with the whole base SAFS kit and has seperate sprues for the Raptor parts. So there's the body for both the SAFS and the Raptor included. The SAFS body parts are a throw away unless you'll use it to create something else. You use the SAFS's arms and legs I believe for the Raptor.

I didn't keep track on this one, but it didn't take very long at all. Less than a month of work. Everything is pretty straightforward. There's a bunch of sanding since everything comes in halves, but that's about it for work unless you're gonna make joint covers and add some texture or other details to it.

June 12, 2005, 05:46:13 AM
Reply #48

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi Guy's

First thing thank you for your inviation to the group build. Unfortunatly I already have many projects in the pipe and not enough time to achieve them all.

As usual you did a really nice job with this kit. I would like to know how you get the armor aspect. What is this grey material you used ?

Thank you

Nico

June 12, 2005, 08:23:49 AM
Reply #49

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
The gray is Mr. Surfacer primer in the jar. Just stipple it on with a stiff brush. :)

June 13, 2005, 11:43:11 AM
Reply #50

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
OK  :?  I will run to my favorite kits store to buy some. Actually it gives an impressive look.

Thank's for you help

Nico