Author Topic: Tamiya Extra thin cement  (Read 2769 times)

bender222

• phpBB Rides the Short Bus
    • View Profile
Tamiya Extra thin cement
« on: December 03, 2006, 03:16:58 AM »
Whenever  attempt to use It I dont get overflow of plastic oozing out of the seem. what is wrong here? I read somewhere that it is advised to wait 24 hrs to sand, could a CA accelerator like Zip Kicker be used to make it cure faster or is it the plastic that needs to settle?

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Tamiya Extra thin cement
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 04:59:17 AM »
there is no way to accelerate the curing of liquid cement.  Liquid cement 'welds' the two pieces of plastic together, basically forming one piece.  The liquid cement will melt the two surfaces it's applied to, and when they are pressed together, the welding will begin.  To ensure you get enough of the cement in the seem, hold the pieces together, allowing a small gap between the two (fraction of a millimeter).  Apply the liquid cement to the entire gap, wait a second, then squeeze the gap together and hold - either apply pressure with your hands, rubber bands, or some sort of weights (books, etc).  I never heard of waiting 24 hours to let the bond cure - you should be able to go back in an hour and be able to start sanding...

mrmaigo

• View Profile
Tamiya Extra thin cement
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 06:07:55 AM »
A less than a peace of paper and it'll 'wick' the cement between the seams

T1000

• View Profile
Tamiya Extra thin cement
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 07:30:42 PM »
Be generous. VERY generous!!

Keep the 2 openings as close as possible. When you dip the liquid cement in, you will see it flow between the seam. And wait 10 seconds or more before you press them together.

Goremageddon

• View Profile
Tamiya Extra thin cement
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 07:21:29 AM »
Since I didnĀ“t find any Tamiya Extra Fine Cement I bought this one...Will it work?

Humbrol Liquid Poly

MOD EDIT: Image changed to link. Under no circumstances are you to post images that you are not hosting. Consult the Picture Posting Guidelines.
ainting and more painting...I wanna be a painter...

FichtenFoo

• Model On!
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fichtenfoo.com
Tamiya Extra thin cement
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:40:26 PM »
Only one way to find out... try it on scrap.
Rust is beautiful.